News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Is my understanding of what does this software do correct?

Started by h7, November 24, 2017, 07:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h7

I'd like to purchase this software, but I don't quite understand exactly what it is.

My understanding so far (or what I hope it offers), is I could play music just as I would in my Yamaha PSR-S910 keyboard.

Same sounds, same styles, just instead of using my keyboard to play live, I could use this software as a DAW without the need of using my PSR keyboard as it emulates exactly the sounds of a PSR keyboard.

Bachus

Quote from: h7 on November 24, 2017, 07:00:19 AM
I'd like to purchase this software, but I don't quite understand exactly what it is.

My understanding so far (or what I hope it offers), is I could play music just as I would in my Yamaha PSR-S910 keyboard.

Same sounds, same styles, just instead of using my keyboard to play live, I could use this software as a DAW without the need of using my PSR keyboard as it emulates exactly the sounds of a PSR keyboard.

If you buy it complete with the yamaha soundset, i guess the amswer is yes
You have no multipads however in Varranger

Dan

vArranger in an arranger software and you can play live like on your PSR
Yes, as Bachus told you, if you add the SOUNDBANK#2 for 99€, you will have more sounds that helps the Yamaha styles to sound good with 100% virtual instruments
However, vArranger does not pretend to emulate keyboards so they sounds EXACTLY the same. Hardware samples and DSP are not copied, but we give a solution for people who need a good arranger software, and helping people to re-use their styles, and not start from 0

ThanhLoan

Hi,
I just get a 1.18 vA2 license and I am on a learning curve.
I downloaded all the styles, the  SoundFonts - VST available in the forum and unzip everything.
My questions are :
1. I place the styles folders under \vArrangerData\Styles and start to try several styles.
However, I only get the drum track to play, nothing else. Please advise what I have to do to get the style to play just like on my DAW.
2. Under what folder I need to put the VST and soundfonts ?
3. In what circumstance do I need to use .INS files

Thank you in advance for your help.

bluebeat

Hey.
If you hear the drums, that is already a good sign.

1) Style files to Arranger Data / Styles / StylesROM1/
2) SF2 to Arranger Data / Sounds  / SAMPLES/

3)...ins.. tell you honestly, not sure. In my understanding VA reads names directly from files. Maybe someone explain better

When you copy SF2 and styles to folders. Open vArranger pick style. Then go to options on main screen. Select "Song Chords". Just select first chord A in the grid. Press play. If you start hearing style sound, other then drums, that means it is working.

After that is learning. Manual:
https://www.varranger.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

ThanhLoan

Thanks bluebeat for your prompt reply.
I finally found out that I misunderstood the basic function of VA.
As I only click on VA Start button, it's normal that I only the beat without the backing voices, just like on my Yamaha S750 DAW.
I need to sync start by pressing a chord on my S750 and it works now for me.

Dan

Yes
VST does not need any specific folder, as you load them from vArranger where they are
INS file are for sound modules that are not directly supported by vArranger.
With the INS file, you can see and select a list of all the sound from your sound module

ThanhLoan

Thanks Dan for the explanation.
My configuration is as follows :
- MidiSport UNO USB MIDI Cable; UNO MIDI OUT to SD2 MIDI IN; UNO MIDI IN to S750 MIDI OUT
- Yamaha PSR-S750 on MIDI In 1 as Organ
- M-Audio Keystudio USB MIDI keyboard on MIDI IN 2
As I mentioned in my previous post, I turn on VA Sync Start button and hit any chord on left side of my S750 split point and the style starts to play.
Is it possible to have similar function on my M-Audio ? How to define a split point for the M-Audio so I can Sync start a style just like on the S750 ?
Thank you for your help
BTW I love this software...

Thanh

Dan

You don't have to use the organ mode. But just send on midi channel 1 on full keyboard.
The midi in 2 keyboard is not a duplication of the first keyboard, but if you use the Play notes check box, you can play some sounds with 2 keyboards.

ThanhLoan

Thanks Dan,
So for my question : 'Is it possible to have similar function on my M-Audio ? How to define a split point for the M-Audio so I can Sync start a style just like on the S750 ?' It is not possible ?
Yes I checked the Play notes box and get notes played on both keyboards but I would like to use the M-Audio keyboard as my master kbd (split point, Sync Start etc..). Is it all possible ?

Dan

Yes. You just use it as your midi in 1.
You set the past as midi in 2, only if you want it to play with this keyboard too from vArranger

BjayG

Yes you can change the split point - but you cannot save it - you have to reset it every time you start vA.  So if you wanted a different split point in different songs for artistic reasons - then you would need to set it manually every time as it is not loaded with the song data.   This is a long time gripe.

Also - there is no registration/performance memory.

Barry

Dan

You can save the split point with SAVE STARTUP CONFIG, and save many settings of the song with SAVE SONG. Settings related to right tracks with SAVE RIGHT SOUND
But I think it was not his question

BjayG

Hi Dan,

Yes he did - he asked:  'How to define a split point for the M-Audio'

Anyway - its good news that you can now save the split point - so when did that happen and in what version?   I've seen no mention of it anywhere and I cannot seem to find it in the manual.

BTW: we all know that the settings of save song is not the same as registration menu - and also there are far too many things that are not saved in the song settings - unless that too has been updated.

Barry

Dan

His problem was because it used the M-Audio as MIDI IN 2, and not MIDI IN 1

You can save a split point since almost the first version :)

Let me know what is still missing for you

BjayG

Dan,

>You can save a split point since almost the first version :)

Well I am totally confused then because I have been asking for the split point to be saved for years - and you said about 3-4 years ago - 'I will do it'.  I have mentioned this problem on several occasions on this forum and you have never contradicted me.

So ..I'm using vA 1.18.03 

1) The default split point setting in the display is C3
2) I change the split point to (say) C4 by clicking on the split point and hitting the required key - its says the split point is C4 in the display.
3) I save the song as TEST.
4) I load another song where the split point is known to be C3 - it still says C4 in the display.
5) I exit the vA program.

6) I reload vA and the split point setting is back to C3.
7) If I load the song 'TEST' stored in 3) above- the display still shows C3 - not C4 as saved in 3)

So if I am supposed to be able to save it - then what am I missing please?

Thanks
Barry

Dan

SAVE STARTUP CONFIG

It saves as a global setting, but not as a per song setting

ThanhLoan

Wow... Many thanks to Dan and BjayG.
I've learned many things thru your exchange of thoughts in this thread.
I will try configure my M-Audio as MIDI IN 1 and change the split point as per your directives and will provide feedback shortly.

Thanh