News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Maybe Goodbye to VArranger2

Started by ovation99, May 06, 2015, 02:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ovation99

Hi All,
After trying keyboards for 6 months or so (my prime instrument is guitar) I am of the opinion that keyboards is not for me.
With this in mind, I am considering selling my VA2 and Ketron SD2 and Samson Graphite 49 Keyboard.
So my question is.. Would Dan transfer the VA2 license to any prospective buyer (how would I go about doing that?)and would it be acceptable to offer these items for sale within this forum.
Unfortunately, I am rather an impulsive buyer and in this case, has not worked out for me.
Looking forward to your views and thanks.

Al

Dan

Hello,

From my past experience, I have noticed that when someone sells his vArranger licence to someone else, this is generating some work and is time consuming.

So, I have decided to offer a licence transfer option for 50€

This way, I will register the new user information as if it bought directly from me

He will also receive the free future coming Updates and help from me to start with vArranger as a normal user

I hope you understand.

Dan

ovation99

Hi Dan,
Yes I understand. So I will offer my list inclusive of your 50 euro transfer fee.

Lylo

Some guitarists play vArranger with their guitars.   ;)

ovation99

Hi Lylo,
Yes I know but I've been down the hex/midi route many years ago.
Today, I'm a bit of a purist and trying to keep it as simple as possible.

Phil

I see you are not selling you Band-in-a-Box. Is this the reason you are selling V-arranger2? Do you use the live cord progression (in real time) in B-i-a-B to tel the live styles in which cords they should play, or do you pre-program the cords in B-i-a-B?

ovation99

Hi Phil,
I had no plans to sell BiaB, as I would like to keep something to audition different styles and ideas. Plus it is computer input as far as chords are concerned.
I would point out that I never used VA2 in a live situation and only used it as home entertainment.

Bachus

Quote from: Phil on May 08, 2015, 11:10:50 AM
I see you are not selling you Band-in-a-Box. Is this the reason you are selling V-arranger2? Do you use the live cord progression (in real time) in B-i-a-B to tel the live styles in which cords they should play, or do you pre-program the cords in B-i-a-B?

I think BiaB is still the best tool for guitarists when they want some accompaniment....  It takes away some of the freedom, but if you dont need realtime chordchanges, BiaB is still the best way to go.

Wondeing if Dan has any plans in making Varranger also a better tool to compete with BiaB and not only with typical realtime arrangers..  After all, in software anything is possible with enough time and dedication.

phillyjazz

If you are allowed to transfer the license, I would be interested.  I am a BIAB user, and really want the vArranger only for patch management and perhaps as a SoundFont source. I already own a Ketron  SD4 AND and SD 1000, and would love to use it for just quickly managing the patches for the SD1000 (and have no need for the accompaniment features, so would prefer not to pay full retail.)

ovation99

Hi Philljazz,
Yes I am allowed to transfer the license agreed by Dan, for a fee of 50 Euros.
I will have to ask Dan what procedure he would adopt to do the transfer. At the moment, my license is on a usb stick.
So Dan this question is for you, how do we (Phillyfazz and me) go about the transfer.

If I get a private email from Dan I will let you know, also if anyone else shows an interest. In which case, you are first on the list.

See my offer post: http://www.varranger.com/vforum/index.php/topic,2092.msg17556.html#msg17556
Cheers
Al Woodall

Dan

BjayG

Hi

I'm curious to know why there is a 50 Euro transfer fee as this seems a bit expensive to me.

The USB stick provides a serial number which is linked presumably to a database (or list) of contact details of the registered owner.  So transferring to the new owner surely means just typing a new name into the database.   Not exactly a 50 Euro job.

If the argument is that there is a support overhead to the new owner - then surely this has already been paid for in the original purchase price and its not right to try and charge this twice.

So what have I missed?

Barry

Dan

So if the licence is virtually changing hands 1000 times, I will need to deal with 1000 different people for free?

I think you would not do my job concerning licence transfer for 50€ :)

mbaggio65

I think it is very generous from Dan doing it at all, considering the low price in the first place. Many other and larger organizations / software develper don't allow it at all or at least don't support the transfer. So allowing somebody to sell the license and include the new person into maintenance seems more than fair to me.
Markus 

BjayG

Dan,

Nobody is suggesting that you should do it for free and I was just asking what was involved - which you haven't answered.    So I still have to believe that what I said was involved in the transfer is  the most likely list.  So based on my list then maybe a 10 or 20 Euro handling change is more realistic than 50.    Certainly it should not involve you in anything such as transferring the USB stick from the seller to the buyer - that would be daft and highly inefficient and would definitely involve you in a lot of unnecessary work .   

So I would suggest that a 10 or 20Euro handling charge sounds about right.

And come on - changing hands 1000 times - be serious!   

But this does raise a point - is transferring a licences actually taking a great deal of your time and becoming an issue - I would have thought there was maybe only a handful of transfers ?

Barry

KOOY

I am pretty amazed about the reaction of Barry. 50,- euro transfer is to much?

Do not forget that there are very little companies that alow a transfer of the license, and its not only the transfer BUT more inportant. The new owner also gets the Updates and HELP when asked for. No one can deny the amount of time and effort that Dan puts in his customers. So in my eyes  50,- euros is a bargain for the things you get in return.

BjayG

Lets get this clear - in no way am I suggesting that Dan should do a transfer for free - I'm just querying the price and suggesting that 10 to 20 Euros is more realistic for just updating contact details (Dan has still not disagreed that this is all that is involved).  [BTW:    I'll happily do it for 40 Euros  :-)  ]

You make the comment that the 50 Euro transfer charge will include updates and Dan's support.   But is that not what the original purchase price included and why does it need to be paid twice?     

I asked how big a problem this licence transfer thing actually is (no answer )?   If Dan is only getting one or two requests a year then this cannot be a big deal so why does there need to be a charge at all and why is it an issue - it should just be done for customer goodwill purposes.  However, if lots of people are selling up then this is very worrying indeed.

With regards to the comment about lots of companies do not allow licences to be transferred and thus we are very lucky that Dan allows it.  Not true - this is totally incorrect - it seems to be the norm not an exception!   Most music software vendors do indeed allow the transfer of licences and the cost seems to be usually free - but if there is a charge (rarely) then it seems to be nominal (even Steinberg appears to do it for free ).  Here is a comprehensive list of examples from the web:-

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=354654

The only limitation for some vendors is that they then do not allow that licence to be sold on again (thus you will see NFR in the web link meaning 'not for resale')

Barry

KOOY

Dan is a one man band. He can not give endless support (which he does) to customers and then resell to others and then again give endless support to a customers which is not his because he allready sold it to the first one and gave the support.

Don't think thats fair.

Perhaps it's better to agree to disagree....

Dan

Yes, the licence transfer is something very rare, but from past experience, and this time again, the transfer will need many hours of emails until everything is OK

We can always have discussions about prices, but trust me, even with the price I ask, I just hope to only have to do it once a year :)

I am very different from Steinberg, and I understand that they don't care if you sell cubase 3 or halion 1 old cd rom to someone else.  The product does not exists anymore, and there is no support.

If you have a problem with it, they will be sorry, but... they can do nothing for you.

If you need it, we can talk longer on this subject, but I prefer to talk about other things :)

My main focus is always on how I can give more and more to the vArranger's community, and this is simply following the same idea

cirerenrut

Surely this is down to Ovation99 to say that he disagrees with the 50 euro transfer charge as he is the seller, not anybody else.

Bernie9

I agree.  I have not seen Dan unreasonable about anything; quite to the contrary.

Dan

By the way the licence is now sold.
Goodbye to ovation99 and welcome to phillyjazz :)

BjayG

It was discussed and we got some answers - so I am happy with that .

I never said Dan should not be paid something - so I suggest we move on.

Barry