News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Very Best Laptop for vArranger

Started by Deane, April 18, 2020, 06:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deane

Dan,
I still am using the same laptop I have had for over 5 years.  It works just fine but I often wondered if
I had the most up to date hardware if the synth sounds would be a bit better.  So, if you could buy the very best laptop for vArranger what would it be?  I did buy a new computer and returned it because it did not fold back and it was also extremely heavy. 

Deane

Dan

If you change laptop, the sound will be almost the same.
But if you add an USB sound card, the sound will be better.
Something like this is already a lot better than most laptop audio chip
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UCA202--behringer-u-control-uca202-usb-audio-interface

garciarob

Quote from: Dan on April 18, 2020, 08:51:15 PM
If you change laptop, the sound will be almost the same.
But if you add an USB sound card, the sound will be better.
Something like this is already a lot better than most laptop audio chip
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UCA202--behringer-u-control-uca202-usb-audio-interface

I have the same USB sound card. Dan, do you have the same? I find the output volume of phones quite low  :(

Dan

Yes I have it !
There is a phone volume wheel on it. When I put it at max, there is plenty of power on my headphone. No?

Deane

I have been using vArrranger without my Ketron SD2 Module and have played styles from all sorts of keyboards.  I too have noticed a low level volume with my headset.  I have even restarted my computer to make sure that was not the cause. 

What I am trying to work out is to get the voices when using the Synth to sound proper.  So far I have to been able to do that.  That is why I asked if a newer laptop with the best hardware would help.

Deane

Dan

It is not a problem to raise the windows volume to 100% to get full range sound with the headphones

Deane

Yes, do have the computer volumn set to 100%

Deane

Dan

And then the vArranger master volume at max

Deane

Yes. Both at max.  Same headset I use with other
Keybaords with no problems.
Deane

garciarob

Quote from: Dan on April 18, 2020, 09:52:15 PM
Yes I have it !
There is a phone volume wheel on it. When I put it at max, there is plenty of power on my headphone. No?

Unfortunately not, neither with other PC (in which I had vArranger). Out of vArranger I haven't this problem. Since I've connected to an amplifier I bypass the problem, thinking that was I that I had some bad configuration on ASIO driver or other... and I did't want to reinstall all vst's and other  :)

Dan

Maybe this is a problem with low impedance headphones with the uca. I use Beyer Dynamic high impedance headphones.
https://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/03/behringer-uca202-frankendac.html?m=1

garciarob

Quote from: Dan on April 19, 2020, 07:15:26 AM
Maybe this is a problem with low impedance headphones with the uca. I use Beyer Dynamic high impedance headphones.
https://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/03/behringer-uca202-frankendac.html?m=1

I think you're right!  ;)

Deane

I use three different headsets. Two are Sonys and one is a Sure with ear plugs.  I tried all three with same result.  This has just happened with the most current version of vArranger.  With all my other versions the same headsets worked normally.

Deane

Dan

What is your actual problem? Can you show me again your MIDIPORTS screen?

Deane

Dan,
If you are asking me the issue is that using the Synth and not the Ketron SD2 Module with a headset the sound volume is very low even with the laptop and vArranger level set to 100%..

Deane

Dan

And what about if you set all the 20 sliders of vArranger at max?

Deane

Hi Dan, I think I have the answer to all of this.  I have been auditioning styles from all kinds of keyboards.
The problem is not within vArranger but within certain styles.  Today I went through about 600 styles all from different keyboards. There were styles from each keyboard that had enough volume that I would lower the master on vArranger.  There were also styles from each keyboard that had very little volume.  As you know styles from some keyboards are not suited for vArranger.  I posted a question about which styles played best with vArranger but got very little feed back.  Anyway,  when I am finished I will have a lot of deleted styles and many that suit vArranger very well.  Remember, I am not using the Ketron SD2 module.  I'll keep you posted. 

Deane

Dan

If styles sounds good, but need more volume, you can remix it a bit, change few volumes fader and then SAVE SONG
If mapping is too wrong, you can go to the next style :)