News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Registration Memory Please ....

Started by BjayG, February 11, 2017, 12:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BjayG

Hi,

I have been hoping for some time that Dan would add the facility of registration/performance memory to vA.  If vA is ever to compete with hardware arrangers (which it most definitely could) - then it really need this important feature.

I found the following video on YouTube which demonstrates what this could add if it was implemented in vA. The set of 8 green buttons on the lower right hand side of the keyboard are the registration memory buttons.  Notice that he stores complete settings of the keyboard (voices, styles, lots of other settings) into these buttons and by pressing just one of these eight buttons he can choose to change the entire setup in one go (e.g.  style and/or the complete set of voices - no need to save multi-voices to a user voice as we have to in vA).  Thus he can play a complete song, or set of songs, without ever going near the style buttons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CboWVzXL5-8

Please can we have this ....

Thanks
Barry

baze

Hi Barry,

I'm with you on this request.
Having played with Yamaha arrangers in the past this is really extremely convinient feature.

Please Dan.

Thanks

Blagoj

BjayG

Hi,

Apart from Blagoj - I'm amazed that there is no other interest in this.

Just about every major arranger keyboard brand (apparently even including Technics) has (in the opinion of some friends who gig) the vital facility of registration/performance memory (or equivalent).  So I find it really strange that nobody else (including apparently Dan) seems to think it is important in vA. 

Barry

lakere

Dan must be busy playing gigs away from home.  It is indeed an essential feature to have in an arranger.   I am sure that the feature is on Dan's list. 

Pekilik

vA2 has Songs which is equivalent for registration or performance, and you can Save very much settings(styles, multi sounds and ect....), when you set some style and sound you go on Save- SONG and you have many usefull options for saving in one Song, and number of songs is unlimited...

BjayG

> vA2 has Songs which is equivalent for registration or performance, and you can Save very much settings(styles, multi sounds and ect....), when you set some style and sound you go on Save- SONG and you have many useful options for saving in one Song, and number of songs is unlimited...

Actually it has been stated many times before that vA song mode does not seem to save all it should  (e.g. split point, Left hold modes, Right voice settings, etc etc ) .   Apart from this problem - if you try to use vA song mode as though it were registration memory then there is an long audible delay as the new song brings about a style change (assuming the new song has a different style that is).  This is with an i7 processor and 8Gb memory - so its not hardware related.   This just doesn't sound correct  and just doesn't happen with registration memory on the hardware arrangers that I have used (and yes - I did mention this delay to Dan in an email about 2+ years ago).     [BTW: I did at one time write something on the forum on how song mode could be used to simulate a sort of registration memory - but that has long since been a non-starter.]

Unfortunately I do not actually believe that Dan thinks that proper registration memory is necessary - which is why I started this friendly thread in the hope that people would attempt to convince him otherwise.    Unfortunately when I have raised this in the past (either on the forum or via email) - Dan just ignores it (as he is now) - which is why I have reluctantly come to this conclusion . 

I think vA is really good and I just want it to achieve its full potential - and that is to actually compete with hardware arrangers.

Barry

Dan

Barry.....  I will do it......... Don't loose your hopes :)

Pekilik

lakere

Thanks to Barry for asking for this nice feature, and big thanks to Dan for his confirmation that he will implement the feature. 
Looking forward to it! 

nikola

Also 4 PADs like on Hardware Arrangers (Yamaha, Korg) will be good Dan.

Pekilik

maybe replaying notes in Fill ins and reset CC control (value ) which are the same in two styles when change from first to second,
can put on this "important" list... ;)

BjayG

Hi,

> Barry.....  I will do it......... Don't loose your hopes :)

Dan - thanks for this - that is all I wanted you to say.     If I can help by doing some testing anytime - then I would be pleased to do so.

Regards
Barry

caovythien

I am also looking forward to the functions REGISTRATION & MULTIPAD. Thanks Dan.

peixotolopes

hi

i was a yamaha tyros user and also use Registration very much to overlap on VA I use the songs created my own folders and saved inside the songs acordding with my preferences and gig order, to change the songs assign two buttoms on my keyboard change the songs up and down, problem solved. As like the Yamaha has no limits to save.

About multipads is somethings I use with some drum sounds like snare, toms, crash waht I did to solve my keyboard has two midi outs I use one of them to send the keyboard pads on midi track 10 each pad with the note of the sound I want, using a second software, in me case sonar, redirect to track 10 of my sd1000. Works perfectly.

The keyboard I use Alesis Vi61.

Hope it helps.

Jorge Lopes
Portugal

Jimbeliever

Any progress on this request? I'm planning to use vArranger on my gigs soon and need a quick setup calls from my song lists.
Thanks

BjayG

Hi Dan,

Its just over a year since I last raised the matter of proper registration/performance memory and nearly 4 or 5 years since I (and others)  first asked for it.   

You said a year ago:  "Barry.....  I will do it......... Don't loose your hopes :)" . 

So I wondered if you could please provide an update as to where you are with this vital function.   It is interesting that more and more people in various threads of the forum keep asking for different bits of vA information to be stored and recovered easily (i.e. registration memory).      This is a basic facility that is even included on some cheaper hardware arrangers - so it is really important.

So perhaps you could please provide an update.

Thanks
Barry

sweetbb

I am certainly also in favour of this feature.

Having 10 registration memories will be ideal.   They should also please have midi CC buttons to control them from a hardware point of view.  And also a "Next" and "Previous" registration button.

This has been implemented beautifully in some Lowry organs.  You are able to set for each registration memory, the style, left, right bass, everything.  You can set the complete organ to change registration instantaniously, at the touch of one button.

bluebeat

BjayG,  Dan.

This is very similar to what we talked about, couple of weeks ago. "Save All functions."
BjayG, I was asking Dan for a very similar function.  Option of saving  parameters, including VST states directly to the song.  In scenario I proposed, you do not have to think or remember which song has particular performance settings as it will be loaded together with song.

Dan, here is another piece of logic. If you make the feature that I requested, it can serve two functions. For people who want PERFORMANCE saves buttons and for people who want VST states. Here is scenario:  In song (Style) folder, you can save song with "save all" (performance / vst) function and when you open a style that does not have VST states and other parameters saved with it, it will use the LAST opened parameters.

So in situation of BjayG, it would work like this.
1. He makes a Folder named PERFORMANCES in style folder.
2. Chooses performace settings he desires and saves emty style with "Save All" functions. And names it "Performance 1" etc. ( or any different name)
3. Next time he opens "Performance 1" song, it acts a a button and loads the performance state.
4. Any other style/song that does NOT have "save all parameters" option saved to it will follow the LAST  opened file with "save all parameters".... Until you open next song (can be empty song) which will have different "save all" set.

I hope that makes sence.
In this scenario, it simplifies things as it will both, satisfy people who want "performance saves" and people who want "save all" option, which is essentially same thing. But what I described will save screen space and maintain same workflow. See attached photo.

bluebeat

Hi Dan. Do you think it is realistic to combine save features as I described here and implement this in the next update?
Thank you in advance for your answer.

lakere

I am going all software myself.  Since vArranger is a software arranger, using HQ VST plugins makes a lot of sense.  I hope Dan would implement the All Save features that Bluebeat is talking about.   It will make vArranger even more powerful than it already is.   

bluebeat

Dan can you please tell me and people who are interested in this, if you can do this very important feature that is absent?

Save a complete VA snapshot to a style or to "empty" style to be able to recall whole snapshot without crawling 10,000 places and thinking "Oh,did I save this VST...or how about this VST...or  effects VST" or second VST effect state etc..... same with loading :)

Dan, kindly do not ignore this. If you can not do as a part of free update, how much would you want to implement this feature in timely manner?
Please advise.

BjayG

Hi Dan,

I'm sure its just an oversight - but you don't appear to have answered my direct message to you of a week ago (see below).   So I would appreciate if you could please do so.

Many Thanks
Barry

Feb 20th:
Its just over a year since I last raised the matter of proper registration/performance memory and nearly 4 or 5 years since I (and others)  first asked for it.   

You said a year ago:  "Barry.....  I will do it......... Don't loose your hopes :)" .

So I wondered if you could please provide an update as to where you are with this vital function.   It is interesting that more and more people in various threads of the forum keep asking for different bits of vA information to be stored and recovered easily (i.e. registration memory).      This is a basic facility that is even included on some cheaper hardware arrangers - so it is really important.

So perhaps you could please provide an update.

bluebeat

Dan, can you please address this.
This topic is much more important to many users than nuances that only affecting one or two people.
If there is a price for this feature, you are welcome to write a PM and maybe we can discuss this with people who are interested to make this happen.
Thank you.

lakere

Please include me in the discussion, too.   I really want to see this feature implemented.   

bluebeat

Hi Dan.
I have been working with customers from all walks of life since the early 1990s.
There are many things I learned. But the two most important things were:
1) respect a customer.
2) deliver what was promised.

Of course, you are a private entity and within your rights to do anything you want....
But it seems, not only to me,  that you are simply avoiding an outcry from your customers.

"Save all" and "Performance functions" described in this thread are
very important and should be the basic core functions for this type of product.
If you are unwilling to do it for free, what would be the cost and time frame to do that?  I am sure that people who want these features will consider to chip in to make this happen.

Please answer.
Thank you.

BjayG

Hi,

I was planning to keep a low profile for the time being - but I will reply seeing as Bluebeat has raised the matter:-

1) I think Dan's constant refusal to answer any question (basically just rudely ignoring any such post) about future development is downright disrespectful (many times now for me alone) - and, as Bluebeat says, is pretty poor customer service.   I worked in IT for 35 years and was a programmer for 20 of them so well know what is required!

2) Bluebeat keeps offering to pay extra for the missing facilities.   Frankly I think this is totally wrong for something that should be part of the original program.   I do not think that 350 Euros is cheap for the program in the first place and is far more than I have paid for lots of more comprehensive programs.   And given that Dan appears (as far as I am aware) to be the only person writing this program (and in his spare time) - all a bit pointless.  Because what Bluebeat is actually saying is that he is prepared to pay money for Dan to prioritize a specific piece of development (which actually it should have been there at the beginning).  Madness!!

3) Dan said: "Barry.....  I will do it......... Don't loose your hopes :)".  Just like he said in the forum to me about 3 or 4 years ago that he would save the split point - but didn't (despite my subsequent reminders asking for it).   So actually I am reluctantly coming to the conclusion that registration memory and many more vital things like a style editor,  a style auditioner,  one touch settings,  better voice selection, a decent manual and a general sorting out of the inconsistencies etc..will actually never happen.  Unfortunately,  I feel there is no plan - I just hope I am wrong - but it doesn't feel like it!.

Anyway - please rest assured that I will keep quiet from now on as all this is clearly a waste of time.

Barry

bluebeat

lakere

I am willing to pitch in with the cost.   It would be great if Dan first responds and letd users know where he is at with this feature.   

Dan

SD1000 DSP saving / VST saving per song / more options on the SAVE SONG (registration like ) / VST Insert / OSC / Style Creator  ... are in my 'want to do' list, and a lot more ideas :)
I fully understand that vArranger will be even better with this !

bluebeat

Dan, it is good that you answered, but my problem with "save all" is getting very frustrating.  I have about 30 completed songs and about 30 I am working on. They all have some sort of variation in VST and effects. There is just TOO MANY variations of save states to remember and too many steps to go through to open the project and have it all open the way it was saved. Please, if you do not have time to do it free, I do NOT blame you, that is why I am asking if you can do this feature for me and perhaps others as a paid option.
If you do not want to write on forum, you are welcome to send me email. I honestly need this feature.

There are plenty of features that would make Varranger better, but "All Save" snapshot/load and registration are two of the most important things.
As of now there is no single way to open a song with all saved parameters. There many menus that have to be adjusted to open it the way it is supposed to open.

As of now, average song takes 6 steps to open. And that is ONLY if you remember exactly which "save state" belongs to which "song"
1) open song
2)load VST1 state
3)load VST2 state
4)load VST3 state
5)load VST effect state
6)load VST 2 effect state.

Kindly let me and people who are interested know if the save function is possible to do in timely manner.

Thank you.

BjayG

Dan

I said I would keep quiet - but just one final thought...

What about making vA itself a VST plugin (if its possible that is).   Then all issues of saving, VST instruments, audio connections etc  would be taken care of by the host - and would make the complex problem of support much easier. 

vA could concentrate on what its does best - which is its arranging capabilities...

Barry