News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

New SD-1000 no work

Started by lee, January 22, 2015, 05:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lee

Hi,
So I got a new SD-1000 today. I hook it all up.
No power light!
I push on the power switch...power light goes on, I let go of switch power light goes off.

Seems they put a defective or wrong type switch in this SD-1000???

How should it work?
Thanks,
Lee

Dan

SD1000 should be able to get power from USB.
If not, for now, just plug the power adaptor

Some people told me about that.
One changed the USB cable, and it was working.
One sent it back, and the second one was working.

So many tries...

lee

So I guess it is new and BROKE right out of the box?
I put a toothpick in to the side of switch to keep it in...and it works.
Does not say much for Quality out of Ketron...does it?
Not happy about it.
Lee

lee

No USB power...you need the power wart to use it...and the power switch has to be in...but it does not stay in.
Lee

Dan

Very strange !
Need to send it back....

Maybe the dealer can plug on his USB computer to see if it's powering before sending to you a new one

lee

Called AJ...he has a new one ordered for me...meantime a toothpick in the side of the switch works ok.
SD-1000 sounds  are very good indeed...probably all I need for my music.

OH...I have not done the upgrade...I will just wait until I get my new one.
Thanks,
Lee

agaton

Good so, make not now the update (1.1),
wait for new one, probably without Bugs.

Dan

I would say the opposite.
Just make the update, and try to see if you have any problems with it.
It's not a problem for you because you will have soon another SD1000 :)

lee

Good point Dan...Yes, I will do it

agaton

Quote from: Dan on January 24, 2015, 06:50:29 PM
It's not a problem for you because you will have soon another SD1000 :)
Than is OK, go on with 1.1 update !!!

Dan

Hello, Did you got your new SD1000?
Is it ok with the USB Powering?

agaton

SD100 what I have isn't USB powered !!! I have had 6 or 7 SD1000
till now, no one was USB powered. In owners manual of SD1000 is
no word about USB powering of SD1000.

anazariz

I bought an SD1000 module last year. The USB power worked for 2 weeks and then went out. The unit worked with the adaptor only. When I got in touch with Ketron, they gave me the name of a guys that had started a new Ketron Service Center in the US. But when I talked to the guy he wanted me to send him the unit so that he could send it to Italy for repairs. So I decided to just rough it out with adaptor. I am very impressed with the sound of the unit (which is not cheap) but the workmanship could be a bit better.  

agaton

SD1000 is one of the best Midi Module on the market, it is shure,
but their support is one of the worsest on the market !!! It is bad
and latent !!! I had contact Ketron about update 1.1 and little bugs
in this update. No one answered on my e-mails. So one amazing
little "Goliath", and so one evil support. Pity !!! 

Dan

Mine is usb powering ok since the beginning :)
Maybe we need an electronic expert to explain this strange thing !

silviuturcu

have tried SD1000 usb on other PC?

silviuturcu

SAM3816 the processor that is installed in the SD1000 consumes as much power, I think of USB Laptop does not supply enough current to run the SD1000.

Dan

I don't think it is the computer, but more the SD1000 that decide to not wake up, under some conditions.
Maybe this test is too much sensitive

silviuturcu

I made measurements today. my demoboard with sam3816 consumes 500 mA. USB port provides 500mA max. I noticed that SD1000 uses two processors therefore consumes more than 500mA.

Dan

From what I have read, USB port always offer 100mA to the connected device.
When the device is connected, it can ask to the computer to offer 500mA for USB2  or 900mA to USB3

My SD1000 is USB powering with all the computers I have tried.

It is still a strange thing

mrgentleman

Hi !
I can also confirm that my module SD1000 can be powered by the USB port with all my computers except one older laptop.
Regards Michael

cirerenrut

There's noticable difference when I disconnect the power supply and run the SD1000 on usb but it seems strange that Keytron do not mention powering from usb in either the site literature or the manual.
Eric

Dan

What is the noticeable difference?

cirerenrut

Dan I should have said " NO " missed the word out, sorry, must be old age.
Eric

phillyjazz

I found out today that USB has to put out 5v.  None of my ports handle that.  I HAVE to use the AC adapter.

Dan

Do you have measured? how much V are on your USB ports?

And if you use a no powered usb hub between the SD1000 and the computer?

Vladi

SD1000 works only from usb3 - bus power 900 mА (usb2 - 500 mA)
Ketron need 1000 mA (Look its adapter)

Dan

It seems that I can use it on my USB2 ports too.

Maybe my computers can always provide more than 500mA?

anazariz

My situation is a bit different. My unit worked great with the USB Power for 2 weeks. Then it started working intermittently for about 1 week and then it went out completely. I think if it were USB power related, it would not have worked at all from the beginning. I use an I5 Asus EP121 table and an Asus I5 Laptop. I tried the unit with both and neither worked (after it went out). It now works fine with the adaptor. I am ok with using the adaptor. But the reason I bought this unit at a higher price was the USB power feature, which was all over Ketron's advertising (at that time anyway). The unit is small, it sounds great and no heavy power adaptor needed, very convenient and worth the extra price. But if I knew I had to use the adaptor, I may have considered the lower model at half the price. In any case the unit sounds great. :)   

agaton

It isn't so bad to have power supply for SD1000. Specially when
computer is Tablet or small Netbook. SD1000 need some power.
Its power supply is 9V; 1A, according to that, consuption of
SD1000 is about 9W. We would say approximately it is about
7W, but this 7W is very much for one Surface 2 or 3, or some
similar netbook and its power supply !!!

silviuturcu

I share the opinion of Agaton.

Vladi

It can will help - On portable computers: Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager ->Click the + next to USB and look for USB Root Hub.
Right click each one and go to Properties and then the Power Management tab.
Untick the box that says 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.'

lee

Update on my SD-1000 problem
AJ at Ketron USA sent me a new warranty replace SD-1000. Now the power button works fine (I do not need to put in a toothpick to keep it on!)

I did the 1.1 update..it seemed to go OK...at the end the screen said current version is 3.1

3.1?? why would it say that.

I think Ketron messed this up.

Dan....I hope Ketron is WORKING on ...not ignoring the bugs we have identified in 1.1???????
Thanks,
Lee

Dan

I ve got no answer from Ketron last monthes, maybe it's time to ask again

Dan

I have well received the USB tester from china.

When I plug it without SD1000, it says :
U:5.05V   I:0.00A

When I plug the SD1000 it says :
U:4.96V  I:0.38A 

And it is powering OK from USB disk

It should be interesting that someone who has the problem with USB powering of the SD1000 do the test too :)

agaton

Quote from: lee on March 20, 2015, 10:06:21 PM
...I hope Ketron is WORKING on ...not ignoring the bugs we have identified in 1.1???????
Thanks,
Lee
They do nothing !!! This is the same update, all files are same.

PierreD

Salut Dan,
My SD1000 has never powered from USB (which is not critical for me).
(I have a Dell-laptop with WIN 7 32 bits)

I repeated your power test with a device called "Portapow v2".

U:5,02V   I:0.00A

U:5.00V  I:0.05A  (and of course the SD1000 remains asleep  :) )

Cheers,
Pierre

Dan

Strange !
Maybe inside the SD1000, there is an electrical component that measure is you have 5V, and allow to start. Maybe this component is sometime not precise?

PierreD

By the way, I have the same result on my main computer, although the USB voltage is a bit higher:

U:5,11V   I:0.00A

U:5.10V  I:0.05A

Dan

Thanks for trying. So I had luck that my SD1000 is usb powered.

agaton

Yes you have a big luck. I had more pieces of SD1000 and no one
was USB powered !!! You are simply "Lucky Dan". SD1000 has
inside one microswitch, maybe is it something for USB power !!! I
shall check that.

lee

DAN,
IF you (we) want the SD-1000 bugs fixed sooner vs later...SEND to me (or to AJ) the details of the bugs.
AJ at AJAMSONIC.com WILL expedite the fixes.
He has good credentials at Ketron as he is a big dealer in US. He promised me to do this for US and he is VERY aware that a lot of us Va2 folks use SD-1000

Let's get those details to him so he can help us get them fixed.

Thanks,
Lee

PierreD

Hi everybody,
I have used my poor knowledge of Italian language to contact Ketron via their web page and they replied very soon!
They have confirmed that the SD1000 must be powered via the mains + transformer and that the USB cable is only used to transfer MIDI data.
Why Dan has a special SD1000 will remain a mystery  :)...

Here is the original reply:

Il modulo SD1000, deve essere "alimentato" utilizzando esclusivamente il trasformatore in dotazione.
Il cavo usb viene utilizzato solamente per la trasmissione dei dati midi-usb.

Cordiali Saluti
--
K E T R O N    s.r.l.
Servizio  Assistenza  Clienti

Dan

Mystery... Maybe they have removed this possibility in the new SD1000 for some reasons?

lee

Dan,
Have you sent to AJ the bug list for SD-1000 yet? (I posted the details some time ago)
If not lets get it done as he will make sure they get fixed.
Thanks,
Lee

agaton

I would say, it is better to power SD1000 via mains + transformer, as
only via USB, specially by  laptops or desktops with poor performance.

Soltons support is very, very slow. Upgrade 1.1 with many Bugs, stay
about one year and they do nothing !!! I have tested SD1000 vs Roland
Fantom XR with 2 SRX Cards. SD1000 sounds better, much better. Cause
of that, it is even worse that Ketron is so slow with Upgraqdes.

Dan

Agaton , can you explain the SD1000 bugs you have found with the firmware 1.1 ?

agaton

Yes !!! In Solo sounds part, when on more as one sound, mono and portamento enabled is,
than play SD1000 so like I constant play one very low note, and cause of portamento
by playing with right hand, it sounds  by every note one long portamento (from this "fictive
low note" to note which I play in this moment).

The second Bug is low polyphony, but only when SD1000 play also the second Drum track
(Midi Channel 9). When second Drum track play f.E. SF2 or any Drum VST it is all OK with
polyphony.

There are two Bugs what I had with Update 1.1. I had in a same time two of SD1000 and by SD1000
without Update was all OK, only Chord Transition was not so like on ver. 1.1.

Igor Electronician

Hello All!

I found problem in module SD1000 is powered from USB connector. At least for me the problem was that was not working the internal contactor in input power connector 9 volts (IN 9VDC). These pins provide the internal switching MOSFET transistor key on power from USB, when you unplug the connector of the external power supply. Apparently it is a manufacturing defect from poor cleaning the Board after soldering electronic components. My opinion is that is poorly controlled manufacturer (the company Ketron) quality of work of their Chinese contractors...

Dan

And how to do to make it working again?

Igor Electronician

Hi Dan!
I cleaned the connector in isopropyl alcohol, and the module worked from USB :)

Igor Electronician

Dan,
I sent You an email. Came messages?

Igor

Dan

Yes, I will answer !
This is interesting ! Can you take the picture of the component to clean to get back the USB powering for the SD1000 ? And how to open the SD1000

We have luck to have here an electronician who has vArranger and a SD1000 :)

Igor Electronician

OK! :)
I will prepare a photo and a small manual to restore SD1000 power from USB port. As a variant, it would be best solution, replace connector on a similar, better quality (there is no guarantee that defect will not be repeated later). But it's not all users can perform, because it requires skill and experience in conducting such works.

Igor Electronician

Hello people! I have prepared a manual restore power Ketron SD1000 from the USB port. I would be grateful for proofreading the text, since English is not my native language.
Igor

Dan

This is amazing that at least we have an explanation from a pro electronician. :)

This was really obscure before !

Igor Electronician

I would be very grateful to learn about the application of my recommendations to solve this problem with power supply from USB. My best wishes!

Dan

And if we just remove the connector, is it better?

Igor Electronician

If the feeding power supply only from USB, you can delete the DC9V socket. It will be even easier - just solder a jumper between the negative contact and the contact socket on the side. But in this case it is undesirable to apply a voltage from an external power supply, because the current from it will be supplied in USB port

PierreD

Hi,
Thanks a lot to Igor. For those who would like to replace the connector, it seems to be the one called BKL 075821, at least available online in France, UK and Germany. Maybe Igor could confirm (see spec attached).

Cheers,
Pierre

Igor Electronician

Hi!
Yes Pierre! I confirm You provided a specification for the socket. BKL 075821 is the right decision. :)

haweneu

Hi,
today i repaired the Power Connector of my SD1000. I replaced it with a new one and now i can use the SD1000 only with USB Power!
Thanks to Igor Electronician!

Attached some pictures from the SD1000 Board (approx. 3 years old, there are some modifications made from Ketron!), my new DIY Masterkeyboard (still not finished) and my VA2 control PC with WIN10!
Wood Cabinet in oak, Hard- and software of the Masterkeyboard are DIY from me. Special made for VA2 with 18 faders, joystick with pitch and modulation wheel function, LCD Display for programming, usb Hub for VA2 dongle, included pc midi interface with 5 MIDI in-out, 64 Controlchange buttons with LED Feedback not only inside the buttons. Under each button is the button label printed inside the gray cover (all cover made with 3D printer) with is also backlighted (ws2812B rgb LED string) with midi feedback!

slaveofword

haweneu, my respect to you!!!!!!
it is my dream to make a DIY like your/
Good job!!!!

PierreD

Hi,
Years after I finally dared to do it: I have just replaced the power socket of my SD1000 with a new one and yes, my SD1000 is now USB-powered!  8)
Removing the soldering is a bit of a nasty job but not so difficult...
Big thanks to Igor Electronician!

Igor Electronician

Hello Friends,
I'm glad I could help. Good luck!