News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Surface Pro2 and vArranger v 1.17

Started by Bernie9, September 24, 2014, 02:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernie9

I have been so busy playing gigs that I have fallen behind in the knowledge of improvements.  I bought a SP2 and would like to use vArranger with my old MAudio controller or Behringer UMA25s and/or other keyboards I own like Yamaha S910 and Technics KN7000.

I have been running my Surface Pro into a Presonus Audiobox USB and a powered hub. It would be better perhaps to buy a Korg Nano for controls, but I don't know.

As far as sound source is concerned, I have an SD2 and SD4, but wonder if VST isn't the way to go, if I can figure it out.

Sorry for the vague post,as there are many ways of configuring, but I have to start somewhere in getting back up to speed.
Thanks,
Bernie

stewbow

Bernie
I have had a play with Varranger and a Surface pro, an SD2 and a bucket load of VST instruments.

I put a lot of time into it before the Summer and came to the conclusion that I would not trust the VSTs in a live performance situation.

Being a performer you will be aware that your systems have got to be bomb proof, my findings were that although the VSTs sounded fantastic, one little computer lock up can make you look foolish.

I have only just recently got the latest Varranger version and I'm sure it will be much improved, what I will be aiming at is using the SD2 and only the B4 II Organ VST and hope that that set up will be rock solid.

As for controllers, I bought a Novation SL Mk II Keyboard and I Don't find it as user friendly as my M audio Keyboard an my Korg Nano controller but I will be persevering

Stuart

Bernie9

Dan

Welcome back bernie. As you love organ sound, you can really enjoy your Surface Pro 2 and the new VST host capabilities of vArranger.

You don't even need to use the Presonus USB,but can use the headphone jack of the surface pro to play VST instruments.

You can use the SD2 and the VST together..  Let me know if you need to help for your new setup

Stuart.  Was you able to get the Novation working well with vArranger, including feedback led? I have worked hard to make it working amazing ! Just set vArranger Inputs well as explained here http://www.varranger.com/vforum/index.php?topic=1761.0

Bernie9

Thank you Dan.  Nice of you to offer.  I should be getting into it shortly, and will appreciate your help.
Bernie

stewbow

Dan
Yes, the LED's work with the Novation SLmkII, well done and thanks.

It was slightly frustrating because I had that keyboard setup with all the knobs and switches assigned using one of the user presets (but with no LED's)
and now I will have to do it all again for the VArranger settings, (with the LED's)
this means that I will have to READ THE MANUAL again , and I hate reading manuals :(

never mind, off to Spain golfing tomorow, so I'll have another play after next weekend :)

Stuart

Dan

Enjoy your trip.

vArranger is very easy to control. You don't need the manual.

Options, controllers.

click on the function line

press the midi button.

it's done

For VST controllers it's here :
http://www.varranger.com/vforum/index.php?topic=1760.0

You will love controlling your b4 drawbars, ...

stewbow

it was the Novation Manual I read and forgot ;D

Dan

You don't need to read the Novation manual.

You don't need to do any settings on the Novation.

vArranger sends some messages to the SLMKII to set the template for you

Do you see vArranger on the SL screen? :)

Bernie9

I have done a simple set up of SurfacePro2, SD2, Anker 4 powered hub, and MAudio Uno interface. The controller is an Axiom 1, with the controllers set up from before, and ipad touch for lyrics and lead sheets.

As always, I love:
1. the rock solid dependability
2. great choice of good sounding instruments for both hands(even from SD2).
3. Live sounding styles.
Lacking for me:
I have many Notation Composer files that scrolls lead sheets from SMF with played parts muted, and adjusted to an appropriate key.  Solution: Acer Iconiatab that formerly played vArranger,and melody and LH played from vArranger with 2 special songs loaded with instruments.

I have, at least, resumed my journey with vArranger with hopes of investigating the following once I get reacquainted:
1.VSTi's that is new to me in spite of the fact I have a Muse Receptor 2 with B42, Kontact2, Bandstand , and the full Colossus Quantum Leap library and license. I have Haliosonic2 on the Surface Pro also.

The only reason I mention my expensive experiments of the past, is to see what I may salvage in the future, and ask if I will need a better controller when I get deeper into this.

Bernie

R19oa

Hi everyone, Im currently having some issues with my Surface pro 3 i5 model when it comes to wifi speed. The speed has been very unstable, going from a solid 30 down and even dropping as low as 3-5 down. Is anyone else is having this issue and is there a solution? Ive tried everything I could find on Google and nothing is working.

Dan

There is many website talking about Surface Pro 3 slow wifi problem. Did you have updated your windows?

We are not an usual computer website.  Here we are talking about a musical software called vArranger.

Deane

Bernie,
I use a Roland Pro midi controller. Easy to setup, 61 keys, 10 pounds or so, and works perfectly.  About $300.00.
Deane

Bernie9

kentbui

Hi Dan
I installed vArranger into my new Surface Pro 3, I5. Right after install, I could be able to run your software 2 times, after that,
It just pop up "loanding" then come back to windows. So what could be a problem? Any help at all. During weekend I have shows to play.
That is why I don't communicate during weekend. Wish it works now. Pz help.

Dan

I sent you an email 1 hour ago. Did you get my answer?