News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Help with setting up Keyboard and nanoKONTROL

Started by xuanvuz, May 04, 2013, 09:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xuanvuz

I'm running into issues with having multiple midi controllers (a keyboard and a Korg nanoKONTROL2 control surface). Basically I changes gears a lot and depends on the set (at home, at gig, which stage, etc...), I use different midi controllers, therefore, I'm using MIDI-OX with loopMIDI so that if I change my physical hardware gears, I just need to go to MIDI-OX and reroute/reconfig the settings, instead of manually changing the MIDI ports in vArranger.

The issues I'm having right now is that vArranger is doing a pass-thru for the nanoKONTROL and therefore, sending a bunch of unwanted CC to the SD2 (that explain why I'm having a bunch of unwanted FX or other CC-related from the SD2). Not sure how I should change my routing so that vArranger Controllers works with multiple devices.

Here is my setup:

1. vArranger is connects to a Master Control virtual MIDI port. Depends on the gig, I can have different keyboards connect to this virtual port using MIDI-OX. vArranger also connects to another virtual MIDI port, called "Controller Surface". Again, this can be changed depend on the hardware, most likely it will be the nanoKONTROL but it can also be wireless midi control signals sending from my iPad. I have set them up so that they all have the same CC# settings. The OUTPUTS for vArranger is vArranger SD2 (another virtual MIDI port that will send the signal via a USB-to-MIDI to the Ketron SD2), and vArranger VSTi (virtual port, can be used to send signals to VSTi plugins). See image #1.

2. To test out, I've open vArranger -> Options -> Controllers. I then select the Master Volume, and then move the control on the nanoKONTROL (which is current mapped to Controller Surface port). See image #2.

3. When I look at MIDI-OX, I see that instead of vArranger "translate" the CC# message send by the Controller Surface to CC7, do its magic, and sums up all the midi events then output to the vArranger SD2 port, it doesn't! It just do a pass-thru and therefore, instead of changing the volume, I'm now doing some CC Modulation in the SD2 instead. I also have the nanoKONTROL maps to other CC# that really affects the SD2 such as reverbs/distortion, etc... See image #3.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here, would someone please help? I really need to be able to use the virtual midi ports, like I've mentioned, I changed gear a lot and I need the ability to set them from MIDI-OX instead of having to change them from the application.

Thanks for looking!

Kenny.

Dan

I don't think using midi-ox is a so good idea.
It is adding a layer and complexity

I think your problem is that vArranger saves the midi port number in the controller screen.
If you use the CC#1 on MIDI IN 2 of vArranger, it will not work if you use it in MIDI IN 1.

Also, it's not a good idea to use the CC#1 on channel 1, because you will lose the modulation wheel.

Tell me examples of what is bothering you when using multiple setups, and I can probably help you.

Also, again, try the MIDI FEEDBACK LED for the NANOKontrol2 :)

xuanvuz

Hi Dan,

I play with several different bands and also travels all the time, as well as practicing at home (or at my bandmate locations), and therefore at each location I have slightly different gears. I have always been a "digital" musician, been playing all VSTi with laptop/tablet and just recently added vArranger to my rack (actually, been trying to incorporate vArrange at home, not yet on live gig since I just got it and still trying to know learn all its tricks - which is a lot!).

For example, at home I would just have a master midi controller (usually Axiom 61, although sometime a ROLAND A-37 connected to a USB-2-MIDI cable) and a nanoKONTROL connects to my computer. At my friend's house, I might have a Korg also connect to a USB-2-MIDI cable, but it's a different USB-2-MIDI, so I might have different port name. At local gig, I usually have 2 MIDI controllers, one is the Novation Ultranova which have a USB MIDI, and either an Axiom or something else. And when I travel, it's whatever they have at that location, I just need to connect to my USB-2-MIDI. I usually have my iPad connected to my rack as well to send MIDI controls (patch/program changes, mixer, live controls, etc...)

As you can see, I can have all kind of device names appear in my computer depends on where I'm at, and what I have been using all along was loopMIDI (for virtual ports) and MIDI-OX to route between them. It has been working great for VSTi plugins hosted inside MusicOS (from Open Labs) or MAGIX Independence LIVE host. Now I'm trying to add vArranger to my rack and I was thinking about using the same loopMIDI/MIDI-OX combo so that I can avoid having to change MIDI Ports every time (which might mess up my learned CONTROLS).

It seems to have problem with some virtual ports as mentioned. This morning I've tried to use just physical real ports and everything is working great! The LED feedback on the nanoKONTROL2 is just pure genius! Thanks for making this happen :) Although, I still like to be able to change physical hardwares without changing vArranger MIDI routings ;)

I notice on another forum post, you mention having multiple vArranger2.ini files, that might work but it would be also if I don't have to think about it! How about a dialog for "saved profile"? That way if I forgot to change vArranger2.ini file, I can just browse to a different profile and bam, my mappings are all there!

Have a great weekend!
Kenny.

Dan

Maybe I will add a list to save and select different setups. Good idea.

I noticed that you have the Korg MicroKey37. I just bought it. It is so cool to use it with vArranger :)

xuanvuz

Yep, it's so portable and perfect for home uses when I just want to playing around with different styles, testing out songs for chord progressions, etc... Also, the nanoKONTROL can be powered from the Microkey so I just need to use 1 USB port from the computer.

jan1kow

Dan
I use two different varranger .ini set ups as you advised me last year.
As xuanvus says it is annoying needing change/rename the varranger .ini folders to select the set up needed at different gig with different gear.   
Other software have saved "SCENES" to allow different setups.
This would be a good idea.
jon