News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

SD4 Question

Started by Bernie9, August 15, 2012, 09:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernie9

My question has only partly to do with vArranger.

I sometimes play SMF files through Notation Composer on my laptop, which scrolls the lead sheet with chords and notes while playing the Midi file.  The sound source for the SMF is my SD2. I didn't really want to bring a fullsized Audya for lead sounds, though I may have to.

My problem is that Korg Micro has a thinner sound than my SD2 and I was wondering is an SD4 would easily give me a good choice of instruments while utilizing the separate Gen Midi bank. I would use a controller keyboard like my Axiom61.

Also, in vArranger, I want to sent a separate out to my Neo-Vent, but haven't been able to with only one out on the SD2.  I love the realism of the Ketron, but want to be able to change lead sounds fast.

I know the SD1000 is coming out, but no one knows when.

Bernie

4partmusic

So is this what you want to do?  I have not tried this but it appears that it will let you run two different devices at once. 

Terry

Lionel

Hi Bernie,

I have a SD4 as well as SD2.

Your question is unsure to me but I will answer as I see.

For using any program that plays back midi, you normally can have a thru channel for your lead instrument.
That is in your case your keyboard in into your program set to thru channel out to SD2.

I do this at times with Powertracks program or BIAB when I want to play with the notes showing when playing a song.

As for SD4 you can have a seperate in channel as well a program in. (2 in channels)
You can change lead instrument direct on SD.

Back to vArranger, nothing is quicker that pre-assigning your lead instruments to your keyboard buttons/pads.

The only thing vArranger has missing (probably not for too long) is that you can read each note as it plays in notation.
Something that is very handy for those who read music (like me) to learn new songs or to pratice and most cases use to play live.

I hope I answered in some way

Lionel

Bernie9

Terry
Yes, that is what I have in mind.

Lionel
Sorry, I was a little vague. As far as the SD4 is conscerned, can you easily set up instruments of your choosing for lead, unlike SD2. How does it sound compared to SD2 ?  I am speaking of direct, not through vArranger. When I am running Composer, I can't very well run vArranger.

Bernie9

Doesn't anyone have an opinion of the SD4 ?

Dan

Why not using you SD2 with vArranger for right hand sounds + a soft synth with notation composer for SMF?

4partmusic

Bernie:

I don't have the SD2 and am not a keyboard player by trade but I believe if you like the sounds out of our SD2 when played direct you will find the SD4 to be of at least the same quality.  I do know the Varranger playing the Ketron styles are rock solid and still sound the best overall to me.  If you are not using Varranger I would think it depends on how much you want to tweak the SD4 and sounds to get what you want.   One of the main features of the SD4 is to allow two different midi sources to drive the sound engine.  You have three controls on the front from a volume perspective, 1 - Main Voice (What you play live)  1- for the Midi in and one for overall output.  There is a seperate editor that Ketron has for the SD4 but I have not gotten into all that as there has not been a need. 

Hope that helps.

Terry

Bernie9

Thank you both for your input.
Dan,
I want the ketron sound and not bother with soft synths.  I have Hypersonic2, but too orchestral.
Terry,
I had two SD2's at one time, one for SMF and one for lead.  I liked the sound both ways.  Since then I sold one so ordered an SD4 today.

Lionel

Hi Bernie,

I tend to use SD4 more than SD2, I have more instant control over volume (Volume knobs on SD4 right in front of me)
Sound wise - there is a noticable difference. For my purposes I favour SD4.

For your previous question. On your lead instrument you can change your instrument patch on the SD4 right on the SD4 or
you can set it up to do thru your instrument with patch changes.

I have not regretted my SD4 purchase. The main difference is there is basically 2 x SD2 sound engines in the SD4 with on board control
of volume, patches and other. The SD4 in my opinion seems a little more cleaner but also maybe a little thinnner.

So yes you can easily modify your lead instrument sounds direct on SD4..

Lionel

Bernie9