News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Roland shot itself in the Fantom 06 foot ?

Started by alpal01, March 12, 2024, 06:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alpal01

Recently got a Roland Fantom 06, been trying to play GM and/or GM2 midi files on it, the idea being I could replace my Roland BK-7m with better sounds in the Fantom 06 to play from vArranger (BK-7m currently works fine doing that with it's factory arranger styles in vArranger).
Much to my amazement/anger it appears the Fantom 06 does not have GM/GM2 capability ! - this means it won't play any arranger songs, including Rolands, using the most common universal midi format in the world !!
Have contacted Roland for what it's worth.

On a different note, has anyone had any success in locating/downloading factory styles of arrangers ? - i.e. - the Roland E-A7, Yamaha Genos/Genos2, etc. ?       

Dan

I can see the FA06 includes a gm2 bank in the 121 bank
https://www.roland.com/fr/support/by_product/fa-08/owners_manuals/a3ba4253-4589-4975-8896-7a71c1184516/

Maybe you can set the GM2 mode in the OPTIONS/MIDIPORTS for that midi out.

The problem with that, is that it will probably not allows you to access sounds other than the GM2 ones

alpal01

Sorry Dan, I'm talking about the Fantom 06 - not the FA-06 - which yes, ironically the 'scaled down' FA-06 compared to the 06 would probably not only have GM2 capability but a more popular/user friendly linear sequencer as well.
Two strikes for the Fantom 06 !!

Dan

Yes that's bad, so you need to remap every sound and SAVE......
Maybe use it as a second synth source to add some good quality instruments that you will select