Better Sound: Varranger+SD2 vs. Korg PA 1000 / Yamaha: Vote now.

Started by elvis, June 27, 2023, 05:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are the sounds and styles of Varranger + Ketron SD2 as good as a Korg PA 1000?

Varranger + SD2 sounds better
0 (0%)
Varranger + Soundfont sounds better
0 (0%)
Korg PA 1000 / Yamaha sounds better
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: July 27, 2023, 05:05:41 PM

elvis

Prices have risen so much for arranger keyboards!
Korg PA 1000 is in the 2500 Euro region now.
But is it worth it in comparison to Varranger + Ketron SD2?
Korg has made some fine arrangements for their styles with echo, reverb and quite some other goodies.
(I don't know about the Yamaha flagship, but they surely on that level, too.)

Question:
Is the sound and effect quality of Varranger + Ketron SD2 up to that gold standard?

(This poll is only for the SOUND, dear judges! Thank you for your participation.)

Dan

Hello,
You already had the vArranger + Ketron SD2 in the past, so you should know how it sounds.

Korg sounds are good too but a different color

I think Korg are better for Synth/lead/pads sounds
Ketron better for sax, flute, accordion,
So it depends on what kind of sounds are important for you

elvis

Hi Dan,
thanks for the answer.
I still have the SD2, but unfortunately I use it too seldom :-(

I would also like to know the community's oppinion on the arrangements of the styles.
Korg uses subtle echo, reverb and effects on the PA1000 styles.

I need to know:
Can a soundfont or copied style keep up with the original styles in terms of effects?

Dan

Effects on hardware synths especially Korg and Yamaha are more advanced and you will not easily replicate them on the computer.
I am working on adding a Delay (echo) effect based on what is found on Yamaha styles

bluebeat

Korg has an amazing Triton / Triton Extreme VSTs. I have not tried it with VA, so I don't know if it will have program changes or such, but it has a GM bank and main sounds are identical to hardware Triton. The VST comes with ALL expansions that hardware unit had. It is on sale now at Korg. I believe you can download a demo. I believe it still has VST2, so for now it should work with VA... However, we are yet to hear from Dan on when a VERY long due VST3 support is coming to VA.

Vst3 support is important as newly released Halion / Halion Sonic is only VST3. Halion has many original Yamaha sounds (It is made by Yamaha). New Kontakt is also VST3 only. Waiting for Dan to give a definite answer, or better an actual update without delay for VST3 support.