News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

USB flash drive issues

Started by bluebeat, July 01, 2021, 10:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebeat

Anybody using small usb drives like Samsung Fit or SanDisk Cruzer fit for Varranger?
My experience is horrible with two above. 2 drives went bad one is giving up (turning on/off by itself, which is a prerequisite for drive end of life) Dan was kind enough to transfer the license. I think I will have to get another flash drive in the next several months to replace dying one. Can anybody can recommend a small form factor drive they personally used for 2+ years being plugged most of the time. I need a small drive to avoid breaking port or drive as I travel / move laptop often.
Any suggestions?
P.S. I wish there was another licensing way, such as computer ID or such.

musicmaker84

DataStickPro by Centon. No movable parts, sturdy casing. Knock on wood. I have been using vArranger for 6 years by now.

freakman

I have the Intenso Rainbow Line USB 7 Years no Problems

bluebeat

Thank you for suggestions, however these are full size sticks. I still have a couple full size ones from nearly 20 years ago that work fine.
I really want a low profile flash. I am thinking  Kingston DataTraveler Micro 3.1 which comes up to 128GB which is great as I can back up other music related things on it.  Just wondering if the faith of early death related to all low profile flash drives or I just happen to get the "lucky" ones. Anybody with low profile drives, that they used for 2 or more years?

musicmaker84

Doesn't Dan offer license installs tied to a PC? I thought I had read something somewhere on here, but then you would be at the mercy of the PC.

And perhaps such licenses are safer on regular sized data sticks as your own experience with 20 years old drives versus your micro drives suggests.

bluebeat

"Doesn't Dan offer license installs tied to a PC?"
Dan do you?

Dan

It was the case few years ago, but due to the fact that we experimented too much activations that stop working when updating windows, updating computer components, changing computers etc... it is not something that I like to offer anymore.

Before buying a very small USB , maybe you can check on google " SanDisk Cruzer fit problems " to see if many users experiment problems with this model