News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

vArranger2 MIDI/Audio In/Out DAW Guide

Started by pwevarranger2, July 05, 2019, 12:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwevarranger2

vArranger2 MIDI/Audio In/Out DAW Guide

I am providing the following MS Windows Computer Compatible additional information for more efficient and effective utilization of vArranger2 MIDI Input to Digital Audio Workstation Output.
I am an electric guitar/stringed instruments musician, therefore this information is based upon my experience as such.
Comparable musical instrument use (e.g. keyboards, synthesizers) may benefit from this also.

SOUNDCARD LOW LATENCY EFFICIENCY
For the midi/audio newcomers ... latency is how long it takes for an instrument/microphone signal to be processed and heard.
10-50 milliseconds is approximately the maximum delay for those who desire playing 'live' musical notes of 1/4 to 1/16 length at 120 bps (beats per second) duration while recording and listening through headphones/speakers simultaneously. Nominal delay is about 5 milliseconds.

A vArranger2 compatible external soundcard utilizing asio (Audio Stream In/Out) driver can provide low latency.

My preferred external soundcard/mixer is Yamaha AG03 with Steinberg ASIO.

After extensive experimentation with various soundcards and mixers, I found that the most recent SoundBlaster PLAY! 3 is my present favorite 'low cost' alternative choice. Used with ASIO4ALL it can reduce latency considerably.
It is a small, compact and affordable USB Drive soundcard that can be plugged into even a daisy chain USB Hub and provide low latency.

DAW (DIGITAL AUDIO WORKSTATION) INTERCONNECTIVITY
vArranger2 works efficiently with (*+*)VBA Software Voicemeeter.

The following method allows use of vArranger2 as the primary MIDI Software System ... with Ketron SD2 Sound Module and then Interconnected to a DAW to allow 'Real Time Live Recording' ... MP3, WAV, MIDI and etcetera.

MS Windows Sounds Settings ...
After installing Voicemeeter (and computer restart/reboot) set it as the designated 'Default' Audio Recording and Playback Device.
Recording: Voicemeeter Output
Playback: Voicemeeter Input
('Defaults' Identified by small Green Checkbox on the Icon)

Voicemeeter Hardware Input 1 (A1): Primary Soundcard Recording/Input
Voicemeeter Hardware Output A1: Primary Soundcard Playback/Output

In the chosen DAW install ASIO4ALL and select it as the preferred Audio Interface.
In the ASIO4ALL control panel click on the 'wrench icon' to expand the drop down menu and set Voicemeeter as the Default Input/Output Device Only ...
Always only have 1 Input and 1 Output selected when setting ASIO4ALL parameters.
Adjust the ASIO Buffer Size of Samples if desired. Normally, the default is best ... the upper right hand In/Out Sliders for Latency Compensation can also be adjusted. As well as other settings.
ASIO4ALL usually works best if 'Default' settings are not altered extensively.

EXAMPLE HARDWARE CONNECTION SEQUENCE:
Electric Guitar/Instrument connected to Input of i2M musicport
i2M musicport connected to Computer USB Input
*USB MIDI Interface connected to Computer
*(Typical USB A Male Computer Connector to 5-Pin DIN MIDI In and Out Cable Connectors)
Same USB MIDI Interface Cable 5-PIN DIN In/Out connected to Ketron SD2 5-PIN DIN In/Thru:
USB MIDI Interface Cable 5-PIN DIN Out to --> Ketron SD2 5-PIN DIN In
USB MIDI Interface Cable 5-PIN DIN In from <-- Ketron SD2 5-PIN DIN Thru

Headphones/Line L-R Output of Ketron SD2 Connected to External Soundcard Microphone/Recording Input
External Soundcard Headphones/Playback L-R Output connected to External Amplification System Input

==========
==========
EXAMPLE SIMULTANEOUS SOFTWARE PROGRAMS
--- vArranger2 ---
MIDI PORTS SELECT
MIDI IN: i2M musicport
MIDI OUT: *USB MIDI Interface

[varranger2.ini File Info]
AUDIO IN: (NONE) 'DEFAULT'
AUDIO OUT: WASAPI Voicemeeter Input

--- Bremmers MultitrackStudio Pro Settings ---
Devices:
Audio Input/Out Device Selection
Audio Driver Type
ASIO4ALL V2.14
Input: Voicemeeter VAIO Output
Output: Voicemeeter VAIO Input

MIDI In Device: USB MIDI Interface

(Most DAWs will have nearly Identical Settings ... )

Now I can have vArranger2 with Ketron SD2 recording into a DAW simultaneously and monitor, record and playback continuously.

==========
ADDITIONAL REFERENCES
==========
https://us.creative.com/p/sound-cards/sound-blaster-play-3
Sound Blaster PLAY! 3
(Creative) Website

http://www.asio4all.org/
ASIO4ALL Website

https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm
VB-Audio VoiceMeeter
(VB-AUDIO Software) Website

(*+*)
Voicemeeter and the Virtual Audio Cable are advertised as 'Donateware' although this is not specifically correct.
'Demandware' is slightly more accurate. You can download and use VBAware without paying ... it seems to have no disabled functions.
It does insist on paying for the License although.
I have Licensed versions of Voicemeeter.
As well as the Licensed VBA Virtual Audio Cable 2 Pack.
Voicemeeter basic may be sufficient if one desires not to pay.
'One Only' Virtual Audio Cable is also available unpaid.
Additional cables are quite affordable if needed, as are the 2 Upgrade 'Demandware' Voicemeeter products.

pwevarranger2

I am also a Steinberg Licensed Designer of ("Virtual Sound Technology") VSTs ... VST2 & VST3 ...

Dan

Thank you for sharing !

What do you mean by Steinberg Licensed Designer ?

pwevarranger2

Steinberg announced that since it was the original creator of various proprietary virtual properties such as design of vst software plugins that the company would provide a signed license agreement to other entities utilizing its technology. Last year they notified the pending discontinuance of vst2 development. I contacted the company in Germany and requested approval to design virtual technology studio plugins based upon their technique. I sent them samples of my work. I was approved shortly after and received signed license agreements for the right to design both vst2 .dll and .vst3 type software plugins.

Dan

Nice ! What kind of plugins do you create? What tool do you use?

pwevarranger2

I have used the Licensed versions of SyntEdit for many years. The majority of my plugins are VST2 and VST3 Sound Effects. They are also integrated into one Multimedia VSTi Instrument and one Multi-Sound Effects VST.

Dan

paoloca59

pwevarranger2

It has been approximately a year since I returned to the forums ... I have began working with my Yamaha AG03 Mixer as an alternative soundcard.
For those interested, It requires installation of the Yamaha Steinberg YSUSB_V203_Win.exe driver and is incredibly low in latency (5-20ms) compared to ASIO4ALL. NOTE: The YSUSB_V203_Win.exe ASIO Driver only works with the Yamaha Hardware. I still recommend the Creative Sound Blaster PLAY! 3 as a more affordable alternative.
I also ordered additional MIDI Adapter Cables (USB to MIDI IN/OUT, DIN-5 Pin Cables, etc.) and also have MIDIPLUS USB MIDI HOST and a Tbox M3 with MIDI IN/OUT/THRU w/USB power. I am in the process of adapting my Electric Guitars through my i2M musicport so that I can play in to multiple MIDI/Audio Inputs. Including: Ketron SD2, MIDIPLUS miniEngine Pro MIDI to Hardware Audio Sound Processors while utilizing vArranger2 and a variety of my own original custom design SynthEdit and FlowStone VSTi/VST Software Multi-Effects Processors (both .dll Plugins and Standalone .exe versions).
I will post an update on this development when possible.

agaton

Quote from: pwevarranger2 on August 22, 2020, 05:03:28 PM
...Yamaha Steinberg YSUSB_V203_Win.exe driver and is incredibly low in latency (5-20ms)...
Incredibly low latency is to time much lower: 1.5ms; 3ms, or by the best Thunderbolt  Audio Interfaces 0,7ms.

pwevarranger2

Yes, I agree ... the new thunderbolt technology interface is by far the fastest at present.
Steinberg ASIO comes in as a more affordable solution ...
and of course, ASIO4ALL is free. 8)

pwevarranger2

I have been working on configuring my MIDI/AUDIO LAB ...
I recently upgraded both my notebook computers from HDD to SSD.
I also added additional SDRAM cards to increase efficiency.
Both computers have Windows 10 OS.
I now have the ability to drive three sound modules at once:
miniEngine Pro
Pianobox
Ketron SD2 (w/vArranger2)
I use an i2M musicport guitar-to-MIDI converter and *Yamaha AG03 Mixer for soundcard.
*[Yamaha Steinberg ASIO Setings: Buffer Size 32 Samples/Sample Rate 44.1 kHz]
I can play/record 'live' with total ASIO latency of 6ms (3ms/ea. In/Out).
I channel my audio through Voicemeeter Banana Licensed Version.

Below is a block diagram of my present setup ...

Here is the URL of a larger image of same:
https://www.invntefx.com/va2fldr/midilab.jpg

MIDI/AUDIO LAB Images Download Link:
https://www.invntefx.com/va2fldr/midilabjpgs.zip