Author Topic: Changing the volume of user sounds  (Read 402 times)

Offline BjayG

• vArranger
    • View Profile
Changing the volume of user sounds
« on: December 24, 2018, 03:21:25 PM »
Hi,

A Merry Xmas to you all.

Dan - PLEASE can I have a XMAS present?

Every time I use vA (and I do try often because I think it is very good) - I get so frustrated I stop using it.   But maybe I am missing something again (as I certainly was with split point saving)!

So lets try and explain, and hopefully fix, my main frustration - which is related to the volume of simple left and right sounds (as the song moves along).

So if you take a very simple example   (using the SD1000 or SD2):-

Lets say that we have a song that only uses 1 Left Hand accompaniment sound called 'Dark String' and that we want it at different volumes for different parts of the song  (e.g 10% for the first verse, 40% for first chorus, 30% for second verse, 50% for second chorus etc).   The problem is that there is no easy way, that I can discover, to do this as the volume (in this case) of 'LEFT 1' always remains at 100% and the volume of 'MASTER LEFT' remains what it was when you loaded the song.

The only way that I can see currently to solve this problem is to save the 'Dark String' Left Sound as 4 separate user voices, each with a different volume setting, and then add these user sounds separately to the 'left sound bar'.   If this is indeed the only way to solve this problem then its frankly daft - because, if nothing else,  it means that the number of user voices ends up getting ever larger.

SO - to my XMAS present :) :  as a suggestion for the solution (as there will be other ways):  can we please have some sort of option that allows you to (say) right click on a voice (user or otherwise) INSIDE the sound bar that says something like 'restore L/R' voice volume to the current setting of Left1/2 or Right 1/2/3/4 on change.   That way there would be a very simple way to deal with volume changes without having to create meaningless user voices.   It should also be easy to keep it compatible with exisiting songs.

Or is there a better way that I haven't yet discovered?

Thanks
Barry

Offline BjayG

• vArranger
    • View Profile
Re: Changing the volume of user sounds
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 04:00:45 PM »
Dan,

Any chance of a response please ...

Thanks
Barry

Offline Dan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 11:46:21 PM »
Hi Barry,

I don't think right click is a nice solution while playing live.

Having tons of saved sounds is not a problem for the computer. The only problem is that they take too much place on the list

Maybe, a simple right click on a sound and HIDE should be a better solution to this need?

Dan

Offline BjayG

• vArranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 04:49:19 PM »
Hi Dan,

Happy New Year!

> I don't think right click is a nice solution while playing live.
> Having tons of saved sounds is not a problem for the computer. The only problem is that they take too much place on the list
> Maybe, a simple right click on a sound and HIDE should be a better solution to this need?

Thanks for the reply - I agree that being able to hide the excess of user voices is desirable - but it doesn't solve my problem at all...

NOTE: I don't use VSTs in the vA environment - so the following comments are related purely to the use of the SD1000, SD2:-

I agree with you that vA has great capability for live playing.    But where I think it is not so good is when you reload the song to start playing, as there are too many potential things that need adjusting before you start playing that could lead to something vital being overlooked.  In my opinion, you should ALWAYS be able to load exactly what you stored when you set up a song in the first place, as leaving something to chance (particularly when gigging [I Don't]) is asking for trouble.   

I have mentioned the issues many times before - so there is no point in covering the same old ground in detail again - but I (and others) do feel vA fails to store all it should in the basic song structure.

HOWEVER:  How I started this thread is that my biggest complaint is about settings of sounds at song startup.  I feel its a very odd design decision of having to always save sounds/voices as USER sounds/voices for normal working.   I agree with you that 'Having tons of saved sounds is not a problem for the computer' - but  just because you can store a sound - it doesn't mean you should.    I really don't understand - and have never have understood - why it is not possible to be able to pick some basic sounds and a style; save it to a SONG - and just recover it later by loading the song and pressing 'START' .   

But unless you are prepared to accept a less than ideal sound balance (sometimes settings apparently bizarrely based on what the previous song settings were [I have never nailed THAT down'!!]); or be prepared to change the balance manually whilst you are playing; or save the sounds first as user sounds - then this is not possible with vA.   But why not - it is a really obvious thing to want to do?

Here is what I would like to be able to do using an example:  Say we want 4 basic right hand SD1000 (or SD2) sounds to be saved in the RIGHT MY SOUNDS soundbar:  Trumpet, Saxophone, Piano, Acoustic Guitar.  So there ought to be a simple way to be able to balance the volume of these 4 individual instruments against one another without having to do it manually when playing unless required - or by having to save each of these simple (single) sounds as USER Sounds (just so their volumes are set up initially???).  So, here is I how I would suggest it could be done:-.

1) Select 'RIGHT 1'
2) Select and add Trumpet  (in 'RIGHT 1') to the 'MY SOUNDS' Right Sound bar:
3) Adjust the volume of 'RIGHT 1' to that required at song loading  (i.e. to get the correct volume balance between the sounds).
4) My new suggestion:  Right Click on the 'Trumpet' name in MY SOUNDS and select something like 'Load Sound with volume of RIGHT1/RIGHT2/RIGHT3/RIGHT4 etc'.  NOTE: You don't have to do this step - in which case t works as now  (i.e. loading the volume at 100% as now)
5) Repeat with Saxophone, Piano. Acoustic guitar sounds etc..

ditto of LEFT SOUNDS

This does not affect in any way what happens when you play live - its just settiing the initial volume when the sound is loaded the FIRST time.  This does not affect at all the volume of LEFT or RIGHT sliders in the MAIN VOLUME settings (i.e. the sliders at the right hand side)  If you adjust the volume of the sound manually when playing and you reselect the sound in the MY SOUND sound bar later- then it remains where you set it after you changed it.   This is all about the initial volume setting.

I hope this makes sense - I really don't see that this adds anything other than a positive facility to vA - but it will make life a lot simpler.   A bonus would be that there would be much less need for storing user sounds.

But as said when I started this thread - if I have misunderstood something about the way vA works and there is a better solution then somebody please tell me!

Barry

Offline Dan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 06:29:52 PM »
What you should do is to SAVE SONG many times with different names, exp VERSE, CHORUS ... (like when you save many registrations on a Yamaha keyboard) with different RIGHT and LEFT main volumes

In this case, I plan to improve the transition between songs, so it will be as smooth as possible

Offline BjayG

• vArranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 01:15:24 PM »
Hi Dan,

Have you ever thought of becoming a politician (I hear some guys with yellow jackets say there might be a vacancy at the Elysee Palace soon) ?  ;)

As, unfortunately,  you always seem to answer a different question to the one I ask...

In this case, I plan to improve the transition between songs, so it will be as smooth as possible

Yes - yet again I completely approve of what you are saying!     

But how about answering my original question?   I asked whether it would please be possible to have the facility to 'optionally' be able to save the current volume settings of Right 1-4 (or Left1-3) in the sound bar - such that when that sound is loaded its volume is initialised to those settings.  This is rather than having to save user sounds every time.     I really don't see that this is a big thing to do and does not interfere in any way with the way vA works - but it does open up an easier and cleaner way of working. 

Please???     I am sure you would not want to disappoint an Englishman who is already completely depressed by his idiotic and incompetent (so called)  politicians who after nearly 3 years of (so called) negotiating cannot work out how they will handle Brexit (if indeed they still want to).    You wouldn't be THAT cruel ...

Thanks
Barry

Offline BjayG

• vArranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 03:27:47 PM »
Come on Dan - you have not yet answered my specific request - so please don't fall back to your old ways of ignorning messages - .

My suggestion was sensible and practical; cannot be that difficult to implement;  will simplify some working practices and will not conflict with the current way of doing things.

Please ...

Barry