Interesting dual screen setup with XOTO pad & question for Dan please.

Started by bluebeat, May 31, 2018, 05:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebeat

Hi fellows.
Was researching different setups for mobile dual screen solution using VA. There are some very nice touch monitors out there, but I wanted to keep it as simple as possible.
I like to experiment with harmonies, so not being a piano player, triggering / finding chords by "ear" is the only rapid solution for me to create a backing track. That said....
I tried using ipad with a program called MidiDesigner, which is amazing program by itself, but I found that connection through a semi rogue "USB' connection is not reliable and very clumsy. Over the network, even worse...  I decided to give up evil apple device and try something different.

I have connected PC laptop via USB to Android tablet to make a dual (extension) screen setup. To my surprise, $9 program called Twomon USB worked amazingly stable. Almost true Plug and Play (It has automatic start) 
What I got,  is now I can drag VA screen for "monitoring" and using "touch" of Android tablet to control VA and using PC, which is also touchscreen for triggering items such as chords for example or other parameters in VA. Or another cool thing is having VA run on laptop screen and VST controls (Kontakt & others) on Android monitor. Well, I am sure it was done before... but for mobile setup it is super compact....also only one USB wire runs from tablet to laptop... When tablet sleeps, it switches from MPT to charging mode, so I do not have to change settings for charging.  Overall very happy with setup.

A question for Dan, or somebody who understands what is going on... I am trying to use program XOTOpad (which is a windows based triggering pad program) I do not have problems with triggering most chords, but the ones "on Bass" are not recognized by VA. For example Cmaj/G  would translate into C in VA, dropping Bass... Can somebody help me with this please. See attachments.

Thank you.

Dan

You need to click on BASS / TO LOWEST button on the top left of vArranger main screen

bluebeat

Dan, Thank you! It worked!

If somebody is following this thread, I wanted to add that besides Xotopad program, there is also a program Sundog  Studio from the same developer, Hauke of feelyoursound.com I think it is a very good companion for VA, especially for 2 screen setup. Very robust and clean programs. Try them, demos are available for both programs, and they are priced very reasonably.