Quick intro & Question about UI to improve usability during live performances

Started by pedrorozo, July 28, 2016, 06:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedrorozo

Hi Everyone.

My name is Pedro Rozo from Bogotá, Colombia,  I not a pro musician but I have been playing keyboard for a while and try to do my best with the basics of harmony, arrangements and theory, and I have a strong technology background (software architect & developer) anyways I am a bit new with v-arranger, I just bought it to replace my current OMB software   one month ago.

I used to use OMB to manage my yamaha styles since many years ago. This is a quick summary of  my current live  setup: Controller:  MAUDIO Code 61, MIDI cabling:   MIDI-OX+ LoopMidi ,  Audio Host (Ableton Live 9) + Vst's (propellerhead reason, UVi workstation and others), audio interface : Komplete 6 everything connected to a Lenovo Laptop with Windows 10 64bits..   

So far things are working well  for my main basic use cases, however I see that  the  assumption  of the main window of v-arranger is to manage everything from there (styles, sounds, mixer) ..assuming that we use sound fonts, control changes and so on,  but when we are using external vst's/hosts (like me),  perhaps we do not really use all the v-arranger mixer and most of the central controls of that window .... what we really use are just the style sections  and the realtime feedback controls....   so we could use the rest of the window to control/see the other software feedback (reason, vst's and so on)... 

I am wondering, is it would be possible for Dan within the next release or soon to make a small enhancement that will improve a lot the -v-arranger UI usability  for these use cases,  just creating a flexible layout for the main sections that already exists within the main window.

So we can hide/activate/deactivate/move them (like  layout components) within the v/arranger window ... for example hiding the mixer ...will release a lot of window space for the vst host/plugins control ...

I enclose a screenshot prototype of a minimum v-arranger layout for example (just activating the style & song feedback sections, hiding the rest), and leaving window space for other software windows: in my case  Ableton & Reason, so i I can use their mix and midi controls ..  your feedback and related suggestions are welcome

Thanks also to Dan and your team for v-arranger, so far is the most complete solution for midi-style control in live performances.

Regards,

Pedro R.

Dan

Hello Pedro, and thank you for your suggestion.

I am actually thinking of building a new control layout for small (7") screens

Your suggestions are welcome

pedrorozo

Dan

No dates.... I am actually working hard on the VSTi recalling with sounds & styles...

This will be very good with the included vArranger VST host