News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Updating to Windows 10

Started by Frank L. Rosenthal, August 08, 2015, 02:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank L. Rosenthal

I have just updated to Windows 10. What seems to happen is all your passwords and product activation codes disappear in the process. This among other things includes vArranger. With Dan's help this will be fixed. However, I am not certain how to proceed with Halion Sonic. Do I uninstall it and start over? What experience can you provide. I use Halion Sonic for my auto accompaniment and Kontakt and other VSTs for my lead instruments.

I know this subject has been dealt with in other posts on this and other sites but what suggestions can you provide concerning high quality auto - accompaniment voices.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Frank

flr@mymts.net

Lylo

If the licence of Halion Sonic is on a usb key you can reinstall the software as the first time.

Dan

Yes, some vArranger computers need to be activated again with Windows 10.

Not a big problem, but don't update if you plan to play a gig in the next 1 or 2 days.

Also Roland just released the new Windows 10 driver for the Um-One

Frank L. Rosenthal

I tried but was unsuccessful in getting Halion Sonic 1.6.3 to work on my system. It may be incompatible with Windows 10. I will contact Steinberg about this and see what they have to say. I will also check whether Halion 5 and 2 are compatible with Windows 10 and whether they include a GM Wavetable. I did not see this in their product information.

All my other important VSTs (Kontakt, Bandstand, Antares Harmonizer, etc.) work fine with my host Abelton Live.

Frank

Lylo

Yes Halion sonic 2 have a gm presets (not Halion 5 but Steinberg include Halion Sonic 2 in a bundle when you buy Halion 5).

Frank L. Rosenthal

Lylo, Thanks for your advice. I will look into Halion 5&2 and purchase them if they are Windows 10 compatible and have GM.

You made my day!!!

Frank

Lylo

Frank, you said  "I tried but was unsuccessful in getting Halion Sonic 1.6.3 to work on my system.", " I will contact Steinberg about this and see what they have to say." and "I will look into Halion 5&2 and purchase them if they are Windows 10 compatible and have GM." but why not try Halion Sonic 2 on your system ? http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/vst/halion_and_halion_sonic/trial.html
It's the better way to be sure it's ok for you.

Edit : but for that you need an eLicencer usb key

Frank L. Rosenthal

Lylo, I just started the download for Halion 2 Trial version.

With regard to the eLicencer usb key, I did not need it for the Windows 7 version. Instead a software version of the eLicencer was used. I do have the eLicencer usb key for Cubase which I purchased many, many years ago. Would I be able to us it with Halion 2 and my existing Halion Sonic Version 1.6.3. I have tried it with Halion Sonic 1.6.3 but could not get it to work. I probably am not smart enough for this kind of stuff.............

Frank

Frank L. Rosenthal

Lylo, Thanks for all you help.

Halion Sonic 2 (Trial Version) has been downloaded. I will let you know how things work on my system once I get around to installing it all.

Frank

Frank L. Rosenthal

Just a quick update. I got Halion Sonic 2 working perfectly on my general purpose computer. It does not work on my music computer. When you try and run it as standalone or as a VST it hangs. The only difference between the two computers is that the music computer has considerably more memory and a professional sound card.

My guess is I willl give up on the trial Halion and find some other high Quality GM VST. I could buy the regular Halion product but there is no guarantee that I would have any greater success with it.

Frank

Lylo

Unfortunately I think Halion Sonic is the best vsti gm. Are you really sure it cannot run on your musical computer ?

Another gm vsti are :

- Purity http://sonic-cat.com/purity/ low cost but need jBridge for work in 64bits and the sound is not very good.
- ForteDxi   http://www.coyotes.bc.ca/ForteDXi.html but not vsti, I think it's possible to wrap the plug-in, I'm not sure. Low cost, it's the player for Band in a box.
- Roland Hyper Canvas http://www.roland.com/products/hq_hyper_canvas/ good but discontinued
- Sampletank Omnisynth 2 https://www.esoundz.com/sounds/omnisynth-2-sampletank-expansion/4736.html good but best with Sampletank 2.5 (discontinued) than Sampletank 3.

The vAsynth with good soundfonts is better.

Dan

Why not asking to Steinberg?

Frank L. Rosenthal

Lylo, Yes I agree that Halion Sonic is the best GM VST. Again thanks for your help. What do you think of VI.ONE.

Dan, I have made contact with Steinberg. It will be difficult for them to provide advice without having my computer to work with. If I new blanking my C: drive and reinstalling all the software would work I would do so. It would be to much work with no guarantee it would solve the issue.

Frank

Frank L. Rosenthal

I looked at some of the options open to me:

>Change back to Windows 7 (need to do that within a month) where everything works Including Halion.
>Buy a new computer with Windows 10 and hope that everything will work.
> Stay with what I have (Windows 10) and use Bandstand (or lesser quality SGM2.01 or other soundfonts).
   and wait for a Halion fix or another GM Wavetable with a host such as kontakt.
> Or I could format C:Drive and start over and reinstall all my music software.......I am to old for this. Plus
   there is no guarantee that the software in question will work.

It should be noted that even Halion 1.6.3 did not work in Windows 10 on my music computer. I had no trouble
with it in Windows 7.

All my very high quality right hand lead VSTs work well in Windows 10 or 7 (kontakt, Garittan, etc.)

Frank

tthoms

High Lylo
you wrote "The vAsynth with good soundfonts is better". I'm using the Live-Styler Sound Fonts. Are there better Sound Fonts for the vArranger? Please let me know if there exists better ones.
Thanks
Thom

Dan

I can't believe Steinberg did not help you with your problem. Such bad support for paid software ! I don't think I will buy any more Steinberg software.

What is your error message?

Maybe you need to update the elicencer software?

Frank L. Rosenthal

Dan, I agree with you.

Dan, of all the GM alternatives which sounds the best to you....need advice.

I use the same eLicenser on both computers. It works on my general computer but not on my music computer. Both computers are essentially the same.

Halion Sonic standalone and VST just hangs on startup.

Tragically, I had to take in my general computer. The mouse and keyboard were not accessible. This means I could not make use of it. There have been Windows 10 complaints about this issue.

Oh well somewhere along the way I will get all stuff working!!!!

Frank

Lylo

Hello Frank, I don't know for VIOne, I never try it but I think is certainly a good bank but old.

If you have Kontakt you can try the sound of Norctrack http://vst-store.com/kontakt-instruments.html and you can make your own gm bank with the Tyros sound bank for example, this samples are very, very well.

Hello tthoms, yes soundfonts Live Styler are really good for vArranger for accompaniment section but for right and left hand you can found better sound.
For example the "Splendid piano", 256mo weigth soundfont, is really good, better than piano of soundfonts Live Styler.
And for many sounds you can found very good freewares soundfonts. http://www.varranger.com/french-forum/

Frank L. Rosenthal

Lylo, you are correct about V1.one being old. In addition, it only has 33 MB in the GM wavetable. This does not make for the best quality sound.

I am going to check out SoundsonLine's Goliath. It supports GM.

Well I got one of my computers back up and working. It needs all the drivers updated if you want to run Windows 10 with a minimum number of issues. I should have known this.....oh well.

Frank

Frank L. Rosenthal

Well it all works (Halion Sonic 2, Windows 10 on my General & Music Computers). To make this happened required the updates for the all Drivers & the BIOS.

I will give Goliath a try to see how will it works and sounds.

Thank you to all for your interest and help.

Frank

Dan

Good to hear that your musical setup in now working again

Lylo

It's some good news Frank, enjoy !