News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

iPad as a controller

Started by 4partmusic, February 23, 2015, 04:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4partmusic

I was wondering if it was possible to use the keyboard in like Garageband as a controller keyboard for Varranger running on a PC? I am travelling alot and always have my iPad and PC with me so I could still enjoy Varranger. Maybe there is another iPad app that would work better. With the soon improvement to the possibility of a better VA synth sound engine this would make the set up a perfect travelling companion to making music.

Thanks,

Terry

Dan

You can use the PC keyboard to control vArranger.

Go on OPTIONS /CONTROLLERS

Select a line, and press a PC key.  It's Done

haweneu

Hi,
take a look at TOUCHOSC. With this App (ipad, iphone and android) one can control DAW software on an Windows and Apple PC over WIFI.

Youtube has some videos about this connection.

You must run on the PC the touchOSC Brige software. This installs virtual MIDI Ports. And  the Output Port of this can control for example VA2 (in the moment not real tested from me!).

4partmusic

Thanks for the suggestions.

Terry

haweneu

Hello,
today i tested the App Touchosc on my old Android Handy together with VA2.
It works!!!

With a simple predefined Touchosc layout at the handy (2 Faders and 4 buttons) i controlled some VA2 functions like mastervolume, start/stop or fillins and rythm variations.

The touch sensibility on the handy is compared to the reaction of my new 23" Touchmonitor under WIN 8.1 much better!

If i touch a button on the old handy, there is allways an action in VA2. My  23" Touchmonitor has sometimes problems to recognize a touch.

In the next days i will make an layout for my ipad to control most important functions in VA2.

A good tutorial for installation can you find at

http://3dcinetv.com/softimage-device-capture-tutorial-touchosc-setup/

Dan

Nice to control vArranger from iPad or Android, wirelessly. I don't know if TouchOSC can receive and react to the led feedback of vA

haweneu

Hi,
very simple!
You must run Touchosc bridge (free software) on the WIN PC.
This installs a new virtual MIDI Port (Name Touchosc...) that i use as MIDI Input 3 on VA2.
Then i start Touchosc ( i have an older free version v 1.3) at the android handy and after correct configuration i see at the handy the name of my now connected VA2 PC.
Now i use the controller menue in VA2 and learn it for the functions i wish (i make some actions at buttons or sliders and see MIDI Data in VA2 controller window). VA2 learns the received MIDI Code!

With a free program (Touchosc editor) you can make your own GUI with buttons, sliders, rotay knobs, x-y controllers or LED.

Touchosc should also receive MIDI Messages back from the PC and then change buttons, Sliderpositions etc.
But this function i haven't  tested, because i dont know, what VA2 should send! I know, that VA2 sends Controlchange with Values 0 or 127 for Button On or Off ( true?).

Dan

Yes, vArranger will send back the same thing that you send for a button. 127 or 0.  Control change or Note On

eallan

Hi haweneu,
I note you said
"In the next days i will make an layout for my ipad to control most important functions in VA2"
Would you be kind enough to post any layouts etc you make in this thread.
Thanks in anticipation
EA

haweneu

Hi,
today i started with one testlayout.
It works, but the LED feedback doesnt work.
With this function i must do some research.

LED Feedback means, that if i for example click on the rythm-start button at Touchosc on the ipad, Varranger changes the colour of its start-button and sends this information back to the ipad to Touchosc.  But Touchosc does not recognice this info the moment.

If the layout ist finished, i load it in this forum.

Dan:
Can you please give me a valueexample for control Start/Stop over MIDI with LED Feedback?

Dan

Did you activate the LED FEEDBACK in the OPTIONS / MIDIPORTS ?

You need to click on for example the MIDI IN 2  LED FEEDBACK box, and select your MIDI OUT

Exemple is simple :

Android send  Ctrl 1 channel 1 Value >0  when you press a button     You assign this to the START/STOP button

Then , vArranger will send Ctrl 1 Channel 1 Value 127 to LED ON, and Value 0 to LED OFF for the START/STOP button

haweneu

Hi,
LED feedback at midi options was activated at midi in 2 and directed to Touchosc midi port.

The ipad or android device must send a controllervalue greater than 0, you wrote?

In the moment it sends
1. byte = Controlchange on midi channel 1
2nd byte = Controllernumber, value 80 decimal for example, but this can be any number between 0 and 127 decimal!
3rd byte = 0!

Dan

Cc Value 0 is ignored by vArranger for switches, because it is usually used by the switch release. Any other values should be ok. This is to control vArranger buttons from android

haweneu

Hi Dan,

but i send for start/stop cc with value 0 and VA2 starts and stops! only led feedback does not work!

Ok.
Tomorrow i test it with value not 0! I will use the value 1!

Dan

It should not.  So look at the MIDI MONITOR of vArranger to see exactly what is beiing sent

haweneu

Hi Dan,

LED Feedback now works in Touchosc, in the Moment tested on my Iphone5c!

Next step is for Ipad air.

I send on all Buttons Controlchange with Value 1! Inside each button is a green LED, that is controlled with the same controlchange as the button from VA2!

All LED changes and blinks like the Buttons in VA2.

But it works in the moment only on my WIN7 Enterprise PC 32-Bit Windows with Servicepack 1. Core i5 with 4GB RAM.

On my organ PC (also  Core i5 with 4GB RAM.) with WIN 8.1 Enterprise, some MIDI Commands dont reach VA2. Also MIDIOX displays this messages not!

Very strange!

Do you have an idea?

Attached my test template!

Dan

We need a video :)

You probably need to adjust again the adress ip/ports on your bridge and your iphone

haweneu

Hi,
if i change the connection of my Iphone from one pc to other, i select in Touchosc the new IP! Here i see also my PC Name! One ist Goliath (Win7) and the other ist Hammond PC (Win8.1)!

This works. On both PC i can control VA2 with Touchosc!

But the way from VA2 over Touchosc Bridge back to the handy (for LED feedback) is a problem on WIN 8.1 PC.
And reverse direction for some MIDI CC!

Example:
Iphone connected on Win7 PC. Start/Stop- Button sends CC Channel 1 Controller 80 value 1 decimal if pushed.
MIDI ox connected with Touchosc bridge shows this value!

Same procedure on WIN 8.1 PC = noting is visible in MIDI In window from Midiox!

Midiox on both PC has same setup!

What will you see on the video?

Dan

A video of how you control vArranger from iPad iPhone or Android...

You have a connection problem
Do you use MidiLoop as your virtual midi cable? http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html

Did you activate the FEEDBACK LED on the second computer? What midi out did you select for led feedback?

haweneu

Hi,
no midiloop programm. this is not needed!

Feedback led function activated on both PC at MIDI IN 2. Routed to Touchosc virtuell midi port!
Both PC have the same midi setup with only use virtuell MIDI Port from Touchosc for control vA2 and LED feedback.

Win8 PC has an external MIDI Interface for my Wersi Spectra as Masterkeyboard.
Win7 Pc is controlled from Korg nanokey as Masterkeyboard.

For test i used Midiox routed to Touchosc virtuell MIDI port.

Difference is only Windows!

Tomorrow i will try a video with my ipad!

haweneu

Hi,
and here is my first Video!
My Iphone 5c controls some functions of Varranger2 over WIFI with feedback of LED and fader!

In german:

Auf Deutsch:
Mein erstes Video, welches die Fernsteuerung von Varranger 2 durch ein Iphone 5c mit Touchosc zeigt.
Besonderheit ist, dass Varranger 2 auch seine Schalter- und Faderstellungen an das Handy zurücksendet und dies angezeigt wird!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcbJiR5RkC4&feature=youtu.be

Dan

Very good !
I think you don't use the Ketron SD1000 here, and you did not set the GM2 mode, but SD1000 mode?

haweneu

Hi Dan,
yes, i used the internal VST Synth, because my SD1000 is installed at my WIN 8.1 Organ PC.

This video i made at my WIN7 PC, because only there Touchosc bridge works!

I sent an EMAIL to Hexler (Touchosc developer) for Help on WIN8.

At Hexlers homepage is the info, that Touchosc bridge works on older WIN  and WIN7.
No Info about WIN8!

Dan

Cool !
On next video, when using the vArranger synth, just select the GM2 mode
Let us know for the Windows 8 problem

eallan

Thanks for offering to post your layouts here.
iPhone Video Good!
Look forward to when you move on to the iPad.
EA

haweneu

Hi,
the test on my Iphone was only to find the right MIDI commands.

If you have wishes for your Ipad layout, please mail me a drawing. Then i try to implement this!

I think, not the whole GUI from VA2 can be implemented on the relative small Ipad.

I think that all buttons, faders or rotary must in live situations be fast reachable!

Therfore a minimal size of the buttons .. is necessary!

Dan:
Also for you =>  please send me yor wishes for thenIpad and android tablet layout!

Dan

Maybe it is possible to create many pages in TouchOSC?

One for volumes, one for selecting sounds

One for arrangers buttons, etc.... ?

haweneu

Hi Dan
yes! More than one page is possible.

You can see examples in Youtube or Homepage Hexler!

But i think we must also implement one of the pages with a mix of buttons, faders etc. for live players, to reach the most important buttons or faders very quick during a gig!

Other question for SD 1000:
if i play different songs, you change the registration on SD1000. If i play a new song and the previous song had for example a HQ distored sound (or some other combined effects from the SD1000), the new sound also has an unwanted distortion!

Can you implement a new function, that allways sends before all new commands to the SD1000 a group of new commands  "all dsp effects OFF" ( this are many SYSEX!), to switch of all dsp effects and then changes to the new sound, that for example has no distortion?

tthoms

Hello Reweneu,
I've installed TouchOSC on my android galaxy s2 and  the TouchOSC-Bridge on my music pc where the va2 is running. I've made a test layout with a slider, a push button and a toggle button.

The slider is controlled with a CC23  / Range 0-127. With that I can remote change the mastervolume of the va2, but if I leave the slider on the galaxy TouchOSC, both sliders (va2 and TouchOSC) will go to zero. If I change the mastervolume on va2 the TouchOSC-Slider on the galaxy is correct changed and rest in the last position if I terminate the movement on the va2 mastervolume. Have you an Idea why the slider changes to zero in the first case?

The buttons configurations are set to key 5, that is the controller for ending1 in va2. If I press a button nothing happens. The buttons in your configuration as shown in the video, are the controlled by a key , a CC or a sysex code? Have you ever tried a button with the key control?
Kind regards
Thom

haweneu

Hi,
the Buttons should send a CC to VA2 for LED feedback!

But this didnt work, because Buttons then send on "pressur"e and "release" the same or 2 different values depending on range of the cc value!

So i tried a Sysex, but not a real Sysex that begins with F0 Hex! In the Syex field i gave a normal CC Message and this works!

I dont knoww why the faders go to 0!

Please load the attached Layout and you see it.

tthoms

Hello Haweneu,
thank you very much for the "Layout". It is more than a simple design layout. I think there is a lot of work that you spent to achieve this result. The layout works perfectly on my Android galaxy s2 and on my pc under Windows 8.1. The only restriction is this workaround for the buttons. I hope that the supplier will give you an answer to avoid this workaround. I'm interested in the answer too.
This solution is the perfect replacement for my korg nanokontrol. It is the his pocket controller for all who won't tow a big infrastructure for a gig. (like accordion player's)
Thank you very much also for your information mail's you sent to me.
Kind regards.
thom

haweneu

Hi,
the buttons then also dont work on your WIN8.1?

If i have new informations, i tell it here.

tthoms

Hello,
no the buttons and all other functions works excellent with the va2 in your sent layout. What I mean is that the forseen key function for the buttons will not work. But you have found a workaround in form of sending sysex commands instead of the key command to buttons.
Thanks.

haweneu

Hi,
i send no sysex! I use only this function to send a Controlchange! Because a real controlchange sends twice, one CC on Button press and one CC on button released!
This is not with this sysex trick!

tthoms

Hello,
thank you for the answer. As I wrote you, I have a problem if I have no router and therefore no wlan for connect to the laptop with va2 run on it. I have now found a solution for that. I installed the software  connectify hotspot 2015  ( http://www.connectify.me/ ) on the laptop and on the android smartphone. The laptop provide  after installing the software, a hotspot and you can connect the smartphone with wifi directly to this hotspot. So the smartphone works perfectly as controler via this wlan-hotspot. I've arranged the layout of the "controler " slightly other than yours (See attachment). That is the opportunity , that you can tailoring your  layout as you wish. Perfect. :)

Dan

Nice !

I personally use this router on live events. It is amazing. Very small. Cheap. You just plug it on the power and forget it.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=241&model=TL-WR710N

you can this way connect many computers and tablets and phones together by wifi

tthoms

Thank you Dan. This is really a alternative. But you know I'm a freak of using pc on board tools. The goal is to have as little equipment as possible.  :). We are not there yet (microphon Input/vocalizer)  ;)

slaveofword

Hello everybody!
I need a help to understand: how can I make myself layouts?
I read on the website hexler.net about it. but i can't understand I can not understand - what types of control should be given in midi.
I tried to create a similar http://www.varranger.com/vforum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1982.0;attach=1176
but something I do not. please tell me!
Maybe there is a video on creating layout
Thank you in advance!

haweneu

Hi,

you must use Touchosc Editor to create your own layout

Then you must in Editor select your target => ipad

Start Editor and then Right Mouse click in large dark screenfield => popup menue => select what control you want
for example "control change"
Then you can select in left window "channel" , "number" and "range"

for example Controller 7 on MIDI channel 3 an this must control from 0 to 127 MIDI Value
You enter:
Channel: 3
Number: 7
Range: 0   127

haweneu

Hi,
please load my test panel for iphone (works also on ipad) some lines above this article inside this topic in Touch osc editor.
Then you see my trick with sending CC as SYSEX!

slaveofword

hello, haweneu!
thanks for your reply!
so i tried to do all as you wrote earlier. but I do not know what I'm doing wrong...I downloaded your example currently for iPhone..I am trying to make my layout based on your. but I did not get. I apparently incorrectly assign CC

the link is my creativity

haweneu

Hi,
Ok. In the next days if i have time i take a look on your layout!

But could you explain, what type of midi message do you need or what you want to do?

slaveofword

Hello, haweneu!
Thanks for your reply!
I want to use the tablet with Android with touchosc to control buttons, faders of vA.
ie: create a layout with multiple pages. on one of the pages will be a button to switch styles (songs) + conductor variations on another page will faders volume faders panorama faders effects and solo/mute. example is the attachment
Drawbars will be on the third page and other faders&pushes.
is it possible to do with touchosc?
I do not know what types of messages must to assign. maybe it CC or something else.
In your examples, all runs. I'm trying to do similar with your layouts- I did not get .... so I turned to you for help!

haweneu

Hi,
i made a change at temp control.
Look at the MIDI Message now! You had no MIDI Message programmed.

I use CC 120 on MIDI channel 1 and reverse value from 127 to 0!
So left turn is slow and right turn is fast!

Please test it.

slaveofword

Hello, haweneu!
Thanks for your reply!
and what is about multipush like as songs, sounds, conductor? how can i programming control of all of this?

haweneu

Hi,
see my example. There i have mulitipush buttons 4 per row with integrated LED for feedback from VA2.
Every button sends a Sysex (this is a trick!) with the CC Info!!!! Then you have LED feedback!

Example:
My upper left button sends "B06C01" if clicked. This are Hex Values! This means "B0" = CC on MIDI Channel 1, "6C" = Controller 6C in HEX = 108 Decimal and "01" says LED ON with this command.
See the first attached screenshot "multipush.pdf" from Touchosc editor.

The LED inside this button switches ON/OFF with the CC 108.
See the second attached screenshot "LED feedback.pdf" from Touchosc editor.

slaveofword

thanks.
if I use more than 4 buttons as then prescribe the parameters of MIDI?
I mean that you have 4 buttons and a setting sysex with CC parametrs. and if more buttons to assign, for example 8, how to be then? what parameters to multipush program?

haweneu

Hi,
see the attached screenshot. you must click right of "enabled " on "Value 1" and select the button number you want to program (Button 1 = Value 1, Button 2 = Value 2 .....)!

haweneu

Hi,
and note the changig MIDI Message! Every button must have a other CC number!!
Here are the number 6C and 6D in Hex Code => 108 and 109 Decimal!

Then you can let learn VA2 to this numbers!

slaveofword

thanks.
Look in my layout, in song. I appointed B06С01 options and CC108, CC109, CC110, CC111 for leds, but nothing to happens in VA....

haweneu

Hi,
what windows version do you  use?
I had  problems with win 8! See above!

Does the tempo rotary from my last mail work?

slaveofword

Hello!
I use win7 64bit SP1, but i use touchosc editor for 32bit win, cause 64 bit version doesn't start in my laptop.

"Does the tempo rotary from my last mail work?" - yes, it works but only to minimize temp

haweneu

Hi,
WIN 7 should work! I had only problems with WIN 8.1.

Now you can test your song selection with my demo Layout.
Simple let VA2 learn for example the upper 4 buttons in my layout for song select 1-4.

If this works, you can use the codes inside the buttons for your own layout!

slaveofword

hello! thanks for your reply!

yes, I tested your layout. it works well in VA. :)

but I would like to program a greater number of options for management in the VA. When I do this, then your settings work, and my written - no. This is for me a problem

haweneu

Hi,
sorry, but i have no time to go deeper into your design!

slaveofword

Hello! thanks for the answer!
I understand, thank you for taking your time to me!
But maybe you have the opportunity to create layouts for Ipad with multiple pages in it. one page is to select sounds and styles, the actual management of the conductor (start, stop, Fills ..... etc). another page is for volume, mute, solo, effects sends ...third page will be even with some multi-buttons and multiple faders.
It has the task of all control almost all vA controller via TouchOSC.

slaveofword

i'm sorry....haweneu, can you send me your free touchOSC editor?  I have 1.8 version. may be the problem is here?

slaveofword

haweneu,
thanks for your attention.
I understood the TouchOSC Editor. it's very easy.
Good luck.

Dan

Feel free to share your layout when you are done :)