News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

MY NEW COMPUTER ACER R7

Started by Dan, May 25, 2014, 09:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I have just bought a new computer after my old 2007 MacBookPro started to die.

The ACER R7 model I have found has :
- Very nice 15.6" inch IPS and bright with TOUCH SCREEN 10 points
- New system to adjust the screen position, from laptop, or tablet or stand or intermediates.... very cool !
- Intel Core i7 
- 8 gm of ram 
- 256Gb SSD
- Nvidia graphical card

This computer is so fast, and I feel very secure to play vArranger and virtual instruments with it.

Not sure about how long it will last, but for now it's perfect !

Tuggen

Interesting.
What would be some general recommedation to consider for a new computer only for varranger?
Laptop?
Desktop?
Tablet like maybe the coming Surface 3?
What is most important to think of if wanting to use vst?

Dan

Laptop or Tablet.
Touch screen is now easy to find, and can help with vArranger.
Bigger screen are better. The new surface pro will be 12". It's OK. 15" is comfort. 10" is small, but ok for people like me who likes very compact things.
Not all screen are equal in term of quality; Brightness, contrast, vision angles etc...

Intel Core i5 or i7
8 GB of ram is comfortable.  To load 4GB of SF2 sounds, and still have 4GB for windows
SSD is cool, because loading of sounds is SO fast, and is not sensible to vibrations when dancers are moving around the computer !

Surface Pro 3 is really a good coming thing for us !

But my ACER R7 is incredible too :)

guyfeld

Hi Dan
So..after some time with your computer, how do you feel about the touch screen size?
I was thinking of a 17" for live use..so you don't accidentally miss those variation buttons? (I also like compact things though) I think for me the keyboard part of the computer might take up space where I would put my compact mixer, so a separate compact cpu box plus touch monitor might be the answer unless I can get a slate-type 15" or better, which is still hard to find here in S Africa.

Dan

This 15" is simply huge and perfect for me

I however prefer assigning a true button or pedal for A B C D and functions that I use often

guyfeld

I agree with the hardware buttons for things used a lot like the variations, tempo etc. Any particular controller you recommend?(without keys)

Dan

KORG NANOKONTROL 2   for 44€
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otV1oLeaLRE

or

BEHRINGER CMD LC-1     for 39€      that I have just bought for testing

The led feedback of this one will probably work only with the new coming version

guyfeld