News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

SD1000 impressions.

Started by Vlzmusic, August 23, 2013, 10:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vlzmusic

Hello everyone!

My name is Vlad Zakrevsky,  and I am a fresh (and proud)  SD1000 and vArranger owner.

I would like to dedicate this topic to the SD1000 actually, since I had very little time with vArranger yet.

In general, I am VSTi guy, owning most of the products from East West and VSL.  Yet my weakness and passion for hardware workstations always made me watch for a maschine that would force me buy it once I hear it.  It never happened (last Roland workstation I had in 1995) cause shelling out 1000-nds of $ for something that has a so so sound - is not me.

All that changed when I began listening to some SD2 demos. Then I found out that SD1000  is out, and there is vArranger - to cut it short -  here I am with both :)  And I wholeheartedly embrace SD1000 as terrific sound module!  It sounds warm and very rich for its type of product, and its a crazy bargain when you consider its a box, rather than a sample library.

I have spent a few hours with it, and prepared a small reel for your entertainment:

http://vlzmusic.bandcamp.com/album/sd1000-impressions

In the reel you will hear 3 basic BiaB styles playing (minimal interventions),  3 highlights from midi taken from the web (played as is),  and 3 vArranger styles playing (minor tweaks).

The midis are Warcraft II cue,  Superstition by S.Wonder, and a Soviet retro song.

While in vArranger, I`ve used "Song chords" approach to make the demos, but had some timing problems in the first one.  If you listen carefully, its timing is not tight as it should be, and I could not nail what causes that. It plays like this in v'Arranger, and outside too, if I export the midi.  Has anyone experienced that?

angel1000

thanks for posting, I like the midifiles all three, good realism, good punch.

4partmusic

How hard would it be I wonder to recreate using with an SD2 or SD4 so those of us that have those devices can determine if shelling out another $600 for the SD1000 is worth the quality improvement. 

Thanks for sharing the examples and variety.

Terry

Dan

Hello and welcome to you Vlad.

Thank you for sharing your first impressions and your demo recording.

I don't really hear any timing problems in your demo.

So can you tell me witch style it is, and you can post here the midifile generated by vArranger, so we can see inside the file what is the problem.

It could be that the style itself is not recorded with a precise timing.

Vlzmusic

Hi Dan!

Sure,  I am perfectly aware this could have different causes , that`s why my question was on one foot really, no intent to alarm or anything :)   I attach the midi  - haven`t got the chance to check it out in depth yet.

In realtime mode,  my netbook does show some signs of "lazy" chord transitions here and there,  and that`s understandable (Atom N455). I am counting on the "song" mode with the export, and if I find anything wrong in a style crucial for my work  - I`ll get deeper.  Nothing to loose sleep over till then :)

Thanks, 

Vlad.