News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

What sound module do I buy ?.

Started by cirerenrut, January 31, 2014, 09:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cirerenrut

Hi All
I am a new member, 72 years on the clock and before I had a stroke played a variety of keyboards. Unfortunately that is no longer possible but thanks to Varranger2 ( what a wonderful program ), by inputting the chords I am playing the melody with my left hand and enjoying myself immensely.
The sound module I am using with Varranger2 is a Roland JV1010 but I feel that it not is the best.
What sound module would you recommend I treat myself to, thus giving me the best sound from the software.
Take care
Eric   

Bernie9

Hi Eric

I am the same age as you and have tried several, but come back to my trusty SD2, There are probably other opinions, but the program was built on this module.

Bernie

cirerenrut

Good morning Bernie
Thank you for replying so quickly. It looks like Ketron will be the answer, but what model ?.
As I will doing everything from either my desktop or laptop and as my CME UF50 keyboard communicates Via Widi not midi cables I would be happier if the sound module had a Usb port.
I am certain ( as you keep returning to it ) that the SD2 would fit the bill but I would like a Usb if at all possible.
Take care
Eric

pimen007

Hi Eric,

I am also a user of Ketron SD2 and I am very happy with it as Bernnie, if you want something similar but with USB it is clear that your sound module is the Ketron SD1000:
http://www.ketron.it/index.php?option=com_content&id=457&Itemid=20&lang=eng

the SD1000 Ketron SD2 is similar but superior features. Faster modern chip, larger memory sampling, new sound, "USB", etc.. and most importantly ... is also  integrated into Varranger2, only a problem,.... it is more expensive than the SD2;)

Good luck in whatever you choose and everything I want your health recovery:

regards:

Juan

cirerenrut

Good afternoon Juan
Thank you for the reply and the link which shows a video demo of the SD1000, very impressive and with Usb connection it is just what I want. Will place my order with Thomman .
Thank you Juan.
Take care
Eric

Bernie9

The only other one to consider is the SD4, which has USB and two midi ports so you can run vArranger and or play instruments direct from the module.  I also have this one.

Bernie

pimen007

Bernie is right, I did not remember the SD4 but I think it is in the process of discontinuance, because some major stores have not sold today, also the price is questionable compared to the price of SD1000.

regards:

Juan

Bernie9

I do recall Dan having a few issues with the SD1000, but it is new and bound to have a few bugs at first.  On the other hand, if price is no issue, the SD1000 must be a great piece of gear.

Bernie

cirerenrut

Hi Bernie
I visited the Ketron site that Juan very kindly put forward and having listened to the demo I have decided that SD1000 pushes all buttons, it sounds great, has got usb, and is no bigger than a SD2.
Eric

pimen007

Hi Eric,

In this post from our friend Dan you can see several demos KetronSD1000 sounds, even some with Varranger in action.

http://www.varranger.com/vforum/index.php?topic=1093.0

regards:

Juan

cirerenrut

Hello John
The videos really convince me I am making the right choice with purchasing the SD1000.
Thanks
Eric

4partmusic

I think the SD1000 is the correct choice based upon the needs you have identified.  The SD4 is nice due to it have 32 midi channels but the USB implementation is not that solid.  I have had trouble with it in using Varranger (Ketron problem not Varranger).  It would cost you almost as much as the SD1000 and is older technology.  I will be interested in how you like it when you get it.  I keep wondering if I should upgrade but have been waiting to see which direction Dan is going to take the Varranger software in regards of VST or hardware and which will be better supported.  Musical instruments and sound choices have become more complex due to the many options.

Thanks,

Terry

cirerenrut

Hi Terry
I will of let you know how I find it but with Dan's utube demos I am pretty sure I will be delighted with the quality of the voices.
I am ordering own from Thomman as Ketron units seem to a bit scarce in the UK.
Take care

Eric