News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Strange behaviour with loaded styles - Volume balance issues

Started by Akkordeonhansel, May 21, 2023, 01:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akkordeonhansel

Hello all,

maybe the more settled VA2 users can help me out with this issue.

I am using the VA2 as an accordionist with a midi accordion. Accompanyment works in principle fine. Chords are detected correctly and backing tracks start playing as I start playing.
My setup involved the midi accordiong soundmodule - I leave this from the midi out to my midi Ketron SD1000 midi in port, from there (via midi thru) to my midi interface Presonus Studion24c which is connected to my laptop.

When I pick styles for example from Tyros 2 my accordion is normaly sounding some sort of default sound which I don´t like and don´t unterstand, where to change that.

And although no OTS is activated in the beginning when a style is picked. While I picked an OTS style the sound volumes always change to something little balanced - why is that? The style display also does not switch the sounds/instruments while switching the OTS variations. And why is there no synchronization between switching OTS variations and the variations on the bottom of VA2. Can that be activated somehow?
Running through the OTS variations mostly in variation3 and 4 there is huge amount of reverb in the sound that is overflooding the whole music - is this normal? Is there a simple, general fix for this?

And one more - some instruments that are sounding are very low in volume despite the volume level is on maximun in the program. The only way to level it up runs for some reason over the chorus dial. That increases the volume than to a decernable level. What to do here?

And now the very last one for the moment. I was not able to create music without the midi interface Studio24C from Presonus only using the SD1000 connected to my computer. I needed to enter a auido out device and SD1000 was not listed. An with only a generic Asio driver selected my accordion chords where not detected from VA2 - only after looping the signal via SD1000 Thru port to the Studio24C that was connected to my laptop and referenced in the audio out port in the Midi/#Audio Setup.
Any ideas if this setup could be streamlined?!

Thanks for your help!

I add a few screenshots from my setup and VA2.

Cheers
Stefan

Dan

You don't have to plug the ACCORDION OUT > KETRON SD1000 IN > COMPUTER IN > KETRON SD1000

But :  ACCOURDION OUT > COMPUTER > KETRON SD1000 (USB. You don't need any midi cable plugged in the SD1000)

Because the KETRON SD1000 will receive the sound twice, from the accordion AND from the computer

You need to see if you have a LOCAL OFF option on your accordion, or simply put the volume of the accordion at 0

We will talk later about your other questions. First we need to be sure the setup is OK

The Ketron SD1000 does not have an audio interface. It is only a midi soundmodule

Akkordeonhansel

I will try to work with this information Dan the other day....
Thx.

Akkordeonhansel

Hello Dan

I switched now to a midi keyboard to understand better VArranger V2 and not have to carry the accordion arround. First ein have to understand how to control basic issues with volume differences in styles between right 1 volume and style volume.

The connection and sound via the SD1000 is now fine I would assume. I connected it as you said before. That works.

Also thanks to your forum I have quite some styles I wanted to try out. Mainly Tyros Styles but also Genos as I own such keyboards.

With V2 I experience unfortunatelly very arbitrary volume balance in styles between voices (i.e. Right1 and accompanying style). And there seems also to be no parameter that enables a steady volume that is audible. As in most styles the RIGHT1 is very low in volume despite the volume fader is completly turned up on 127. Chorus is on level 0. And without turning Chorus up, the volume is to low for RIGHT 1. Probably the same is true for the other voices. What is the fix for that behaviour? This is true for styles of different keyboard types so I assume its a parametrisation issue on V2 - is it not?

My current workflow looks like this:

I pick a style
Set OTS Link on (then shown in red colour)
I set the SYNC Start on
Go to variation A and start playing a chord on the keyboard

The situation is more or less as seen in the attached screenshot.
BTW, what does the error message want to tell me?

Any idea to get me playing music with less hassle is welcome!

How can I insert a screenshot - I don´t find a control to upload a pic?! Have done it before?!?!?

Cheers
Stefan

Dan

You need to check many things :
- The volume fader of each track
- The SONG / LEFT / RIGHT / MASTER volume faders in the right part of the mixer
- On each vu-meter, you can see a little RED line. This is the "EXPRESSION" value. It is usually at MAX for right hand melody.
To change the expression value, you can double click on a track, and see the expression slider
Maybe you have an accordion that sends the expression value played by the bellows of the accordion, and that cause the right volume to be low when not moving the bellows?
With all this, you should be able to do all what you want with volumes

I can see an Attachments link here

Akkordeonhansel

Can I have a remote session with you Dan to look thru my configuration?
Send me a PM is it is an option :-)

Where is the button for attachments? I only see a content system editor that allows for inserting URLs to pictures but my screenshot is local. Sorry I am to stupid to find the obvious....

I am currently play with a Novation SL MK2 connected to my laptop and laptop connected to SD1000.
Is it normal, that every style catches the overall volume control and hikes it up to "full speed"? I blows my ears every time I switch to a new style.

Cheers
Stefan

Dan

Yes, when there is a problem, that can't be understood in the forum, we can organize a remote session with teamviewer. PM here : https://www.varranger.com/contact-us/

I can see now. You have Quick Reply in the bottom, but you also have a REPLY button, to have the full reply features

For the SL MK2, you have a good support on vArranger :
https://www.varranger.com/vforum/index.php/topic,1761.0.html

If it blows your hear, then just lower the volume of your speakers. It is better to have the style volume at 100% especially with styles with tracks that are mixed very low like Yamaha does