News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Ketron SD1000

Started by jan1kow, March 22, 2013, 10:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Yes, we have to wait.
I am preparing a video with me playing all the sounds of the SD1000, and some SD5 styles too

angel1000

thanks Dan, they are finally shipping it to north america, should be here in ten days.

angel1000

Dan, hypothetically speaking, I spoke to someone who is working on the midjpro, and he said the the sd1000 will be able to play the midjpro ststyles except if the stryle uses the audio drum groove. I guess one can substitute the sd1000 groove for the midjpro groove, would that be correct.

Dan

Tuggen

So What do you think Dan. Is it better for a new user to still get a SD2 to start with than the newer SD1000?
Or still better to wait some more and see before deciding between SD2 and SD1000?
Is it you intention that VA will get full access to all features of SD1000 as for SD2 even if it will not have full compability with the Ketron styles?
Maybe it's just best to have them both if it will be possible BOTH to stay fully style compatible AND to use the better drums of SD 1000 whenever it's possible and also have an increased total polyphony!

Dan

I am now recording me playing all the sounds of the SD1000, so everyone can hear what is inside this box.

SD2 with SD5 styles is a very very good sounding solution.

SD1000 with SD5 styles is sometimes better, sometimes not sounding good. I will maybe find way to impove this.

By the way, vArranger will have access to all the SD1000 features, including the multi FX.

Using the 2 together is also possible.

Today, I would say ... buy the SD1000.

angel1000

Dan using the two together you mean at the same time. Can you give me an example if possible. If you want to use the best of both what would you do.

Dan

Yes. On the MIDI PORTS screen, you can set the SD1000 for the MIDI OUT 1 and the SD2 to the MIDI OUT 2.

Then you can right click on each track, and select it to play with the MIDI 1 or MIDI 2

Dan

I am now recording videos of me playing all the 500 sounds of the sd1000 one by one, so you can have a precise idea of the SD1000 sounds.

Have found some very nice sounds !

Dan

I have found another bug in the Ketron SD1000, when used with the MIDI cable, not USB.
If your keyboard is sending Active Sending messages, like my Roland A500S, then the SD1000 become crazy (out of tune, etc...) when you use the PitchBend, or some other midi messages.

I have signaled it to Ketron in November 16th, but still waiting for an answer from them.

So for now, if your midi keyboard is sending Active Sensing, and you can't disable it, you can't use the MIDI port of SD1000. Only USB/MIDI port

Tuggen

What is now happening regarding the SD1000.
Any more work beeing made here or is it the impementation of VST that takes all time?
Is the latest VA version fully compatible with SD1000?
Any VA users who use the SD1000 today?

Dan

Hello Tuggen,
vArranger actually has all the sounds of the SD1000 well displayed and grouped by category, so you can easily select a SD1000 sounds from vArranger.
Including DrumKits and LiveDrums.
Ketron, Yamaha and Roland styles are sounding very good for most.

What still have to be done :
- Improve the sound mapping for sound who have changed from the SD2. Eg : a strings sounds from yamaha style was remapped to another one in the SD2. But in the SD1000 this strings sound is not the best.
- Controlling the SD1000 MultiFX

Of course, I will improve things for the SD1000 in a future free update.

You are right, adding the SF2 Virtual synth and VST and KORG styles and many other things are delaying improving the SD1000, but it is still high priority in my task list.

Do you have the SD1000?

angel1000

Hi Dan happy holidays. How do I find the sounds for the sd1000, I have version 1.17

Dan

I sent you the latest beta version.
If you select the SD1000 in the MIDI OUT, you will automatically get the SD1000 sounds.

Tuggen

Hi Dan!
I actually happend to stumble over a used SD1000 very cheap some time ago and bought it but don't know of any way to use it. Except for with vArranger.
I'm thinking of what gear I should get. I want organ-like setup, and only play the drum tracks from the arranger and play the rest myself, which is possible but difficult with current range of arrangers from the keyboard manufaturers.
Maybe I should try vArranger on my old Laptop with my old organ and if I like it get a dedicated computer.
Keep up the good work!

Dan

Yes ! You can use vArranger on your old laptop with your organ setup.
You will really enjoy the sound of the drums of the SD1000 with styles played by vArranger.

They sounds amazing !

Dan

Something a little bit annoying with the SD1000, but does affect only rare styles.
When BASS sounds use noises and notes together, they sound strange.
I just sent an email to Ketron

Dan

An little update of vArranger for SD1000 users is available.
I have corrected some selected sounds for some styles....

Dan

Hey, I have just found a way to get more sound from the SD1000.
Out of the box, the volume is too low, I think...

angel1000

Quote from: Tuggen on June 19, 2013, 09:26:37 AM
So What do you think Dan. Is it better for a new user to still get a SD2 to start with than the newer SD1000?
Or still better to wait some more and see before deciding between SD2 and SD1000?
Is it you intention that VA will get full access to all features of SD1000 as for SD2 even if it will not have full compability with the Ketron styles?
Maybe it's just best to have them both if it will be possible BOTH to stay fully style compatible AND to use the better drums of SD 1000 whenever it's possible and also have an increased total polyphony!
Quote from: Dan on January 21, 2014, 11:59:37 AM
Quote from: Dan on January 21, 2014, 11:59:37 AM
Hi Dan  I would like to know how you accomplished getting more volume, and can i have the latest update for the sd1000. thankyou

Dan

I am working on the multi effect.
I have just added a 2 band master equalizer
Just wait one day or two, I will add more

Dan

FYI, I've found so far 3 bugs with the SD1000, and I expect a response from Ketron

- Only connected with MIDI port : If the MIDI interface sends ACTIVE SENSING messages then PITCH BEND, then there has to problems with PROGRAM CHANGE and PITCH BEND, etc ... This happens sometimes on Roland Midi interface or keyboards. (This is not a problem if you use the SD1000 with USB)

- If you change the Scale Tuning (for Arabic Music) and Monophonic ON on a track, then the sound is completely out of tune. (This is not a problem if you are not playing Arabic music)

- The fret noises of bass sounds are affected by Portamento. This was not the case with the SD2. This makes the bass track sounds weird sometimes with the SD1000 and vArranger styles.

To be continued ...

Dan

Good news... A SD1000 firmware update from Ketron will come when ready...

agaton

Quote from: Dan on June 19, 2013, 05:53:59 PM
By the way, vArranger will have access to all the SD1000 features, including the multi FX
Is it now OK with Multi FX from SD1000 ? Where I can find this Effects on
vArranger ? What's happend with two Insert Effects of SD1000 ? They are not in Sound
Editor of vArranger2 !!!!!