Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Using a psr520 as an input keyboard

Started by stewbow, January 30, 2013, 08:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stewbow

Hi all
1st post
I'm considering buying this software and have a few questions.
If I use the Ketron sound module, could I use an old PSR 520 keyboard as the input device, and assign the 520's stop start, fill, variation etc buttons to work the varranger software?
Also, is the software liscence for one computor, or could I use it in my studio and a gigging laptop?

thanks

Stuart

Dan

Hi Stuart and welcome in our forum !

You can use your PSR 520 as the input device for the keyboard. You can assign some of the buttons to control vArranger, but from my experience, the buttons of the arrangers are tied to the internal functions of the arranger, so if you press START, it will start vArranger, but also start the PSR style and send some not useful midi data to the computer. There is many other options to control vArranger.

About the licence, you can install the licence on a USB thumb drive that you can use on any computer. studio, gigging...

Let me know if you have more questions

Dan

stewbow

I just setup for the 1st time and used the old PSR520 as the sound module set to XG, and it was pretty awfull :-[

2nd setup was with a PSR740, that sounds really good :P

is it too much to expect the SD2 to sound as good as the Tyros 4???

Stuart

Dan

From what I see the PSR520 is born in 1995. It was the beginning of GM/XG. Not sure yet why it sounds awful.

The PSR740 is more XG compliant than PSR520 (1999).

The SD2 sound is very different than Yamaha.

The Tyros 4 is more powerful than the SD2, (cost 10 times more) but the SD2 sounds very good when playing Ketron styles.

vArranger will try to adapt the styles to your sound module. It is cool to play a Tyros 4 style on a PSR from 90's !

I don't have all the keyboards, so if something is not sounding so good, let me know, and I will try to see it this can be improved.

stewbow

Dan it's funny when you say playing Tyros styles on a 90's keyboard is cool, But in the world of computing, to think that a midi file created in 2013 will play on a device made a third of a century ago is quite unique ;)

Dan

You are right. Midi, GM and Midifile format is a success story.

Note that many styles are not using GM sounds. That's why I have to find alternatives.

ps : Try loading some Midifiles with vArranger.
vArranger also own a cool midifile player with Lyrics & Karaoke screens

stewbow

Dan,
I have just ordered a korg nano kontroller, is there a ready-made setup file that I can download from somewhere?

At

Stuart

Dan

I hope you bought the Nano Kontrol 2 ? not the 1

stewbow

Dan

Cool.

Let us know when you get it.
There is a cool feature for that controller in the new vArranger version

stewbow

Dan
I have just taken delivery of the Korg nana KONTROL 2, what do you have for me ;D

Stuart

Dan

OK, so first go on OPTIONS / MIDI PORTS

In the MIDI IN 2 select the KORG NANO KONTROL 2.

You have a new version, so check the LED FEEDBACK box for the MIDI IN 2, and select KORG NANO KONTROL 2 in the list.

Then press START.

In the OPTIONS/CONTROLLERS, select for example 4 buttons for ARRANGER A B C D.

Le me know if it's working, and if the leds are flashing.

stewbow

Dan
I got it all set up a couple of days ago thanks

Stuart

Dan

Leds of your NanoKontrol are lighting?