News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

vArranger NEW layout options needed

Started by jan1kow, December 15, 2012, 11:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jan1kow

Dan
For live playing I think it would be good if the users could have some flexibility in the layout and size of boxes and text for some information to help users aged over 40 whose eyes commonly start to have difficulty in reading. Also for us to be able to see more information at one time rather than scroll through as many pages when looking at list of midi/karaoke files and patches/sounds etc. It is usefull to view more playlist files at one time to see a larger list for faster and more overview.   
My interest is mainly for midi file/karaoke use but this suggestion could also be applied to other functions to help others for their specific needs and uses. I suggest (as example) that I need to see more midi files names currently displayed from top to bottom in the top left side.     
At present we can only see 10 at one time but if you are playing and need to choose the next song (or unexpectedly a third song etc. to keep dancers on floor) scrolling through the pages within same folder is difficult at same time as playing/singing.
When playing midi files/karaole the areas with "My Sounds" and "Voice" are not really needed. I suggest that we can drag, move or open the midi files list to overlay the "My Sounds" and "Voice" which are unused areas during midi file playing. You would then be able to see 40 midi files at one look. Also with an option to stretch the size of the dragged/overlayed folders to make them larger and easier to read. So you could stretch the folder sizes over "My Sounds" and "Voice" and see 20 double size midi file folders (or 40 at current size).  Im sure you know how this is applied in other projects witha small symbol in the corner providing a drop down menu of various options (drag and font size etc. ). I think stretching the files area and the boxes "fitting to size" would be good. Allowing users to have some control of the layout to suit their needs would be more flexible.
I would also like the midi file counter measure bar to be able to be expanded and showing the remaining total measures in the midi file as well as the measure actually in play. In live playing it is useful to have an idea of remaining midi file play time measures to decide whether to cut a song short or let it finish itself if not many dancers are on the floor etc.  What do you think Dan.
Jon
Uk

Dan

They are good ideas.

I think you will love the next coming Playlist feature of vArranger

jan1kow

I look forward to that
WHEN?
Pre -prepared playlists are also good and I will look forward to use this but sometimes we need to be more flexible and change our minds on mext song because of dancers/crows reactions etc.
Is there flexibility in new playlist feature that you are making.
jon

Lionel

Hi Chaps,

After a busy month of playing etc. This is a good time to jump in with comments.

In a way I agree with Jon.

Because when you need to find that song in a hurry scrolling thru the playlist is a tad slow..

Who knows what your new palylist is like Dan but I think my comment is still valid.
Why can't we have like a Blow up window when you click on the playlis. The window blows up to a good size with a lot more list songs and just click the song to close to normal size.

Anyway I will wait and see what the new playlist is like..
Cheers
Lionel

Dan

Yes, playlist will be simply a list of songs/styles/midifiles/mp3..., that you can group together and order easily

pax_eterna

Yes, that seems to be going in the correct direction Dan - good stuff!!

Dennis

jan1kow

Lionel
the blow up list is also a good idea when you need to see more or everything in same folder for if you are not sure exactly what you want to play next or you need to be flexible in some way.
A playlist is good when you are able to stick to the pre-planned program order.
But as we know its difficult to know what, when and how a audience are going to react to certain songs, rhythms and gendres etc. 
jon 

pax_eterna

Quote from: jan1kow on December 15, 2012, 11:48:31 AM
Dan
For live playing I think it would be good if the users could have some flexibility in the layout and size of boxes and text for some information to help users aged over 40 whose eyes commonly start to have difficulty in reading. Also for us to be able to see more information at one time rather than scroll through as many pages when looking at list of midi/karaoke files and patches/sounds etc. It is usefull to view more playlist files at one time to see a larger list for faster and more overview..................................   

Jon
Uk

NOTE: There was more to the original post by Jon, but I just extracted the above as it relates directly to my post below

I agree Jon especially when using vA on a smaller than 12" or bigger screen. The ability to resize most of the critical boxes and windows would be a tremendous advantage!! I tried vA on a 10" and a 12" screen and I have to say some of the boxes got "squeezed" a bit and some even overlapped on the smaller screen size...certainly worth thinking about Dan if it is possible to free this aspect up for end-users...

Dennis

jan1kow

Dennis
lets hope we get this "expand" feature in next upgrade
jon

stewbow

Dan
has this playlist feature been included in version 1.17?

Stuart

Dan