Dan, Are the latest Atom tablets, okay for vArranger - or.....

Started by pax_eterna, September 18, 2012, 04:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pax_eterna

Dan, are the current lot of Atom based Tablets running Windows 7 okay, provided NO audio (apart from normal sound output) is used? IE if it is only used for MIDI....

I was thinking either the n570 chip, or my possible choice of the N2800 on the Gigabyte S1080.

Thanks

Dennis

PS: I did ask it in another thread, but it was buried at the bottom and it was prob the wrong thread to ask it in anyway...

pax_eterna

Dan I really need an answer here as I have a seller of either one of these units waiting for a confirmation of purchase....Normally I would not mind waiting a couple of days for you to get back, but I have got a pretty good deal which I need to finalise soon.... But I noticed you made a reply to another thread today, which was after my original question.....so I am wondering why this one was missed???

Dennis

Dan

Hi Dennis,

The Gigabyte S1080 own the Intel Atom N570 and not the N2800.

I think It should work, but I never tested it !

It's a cute computer.

I think the 10" screen will be a little small, and the CPU and graphical card are not so strong.

If you can try the computer before buy it should be better.

My personal opinion is that if you plan to gig as a pro musician very often, and need a 100% perfect solution, I would go for a stronger computer.

If you want to enjoy playing vArranger at home with a cool and compact, touch screen tablet, and you had a great deal on it, why not...

Some of vArranger users are giging without any problems with the first generations of netbooks (N270 !)

Some Atom users told me that there is sometimes a little delay who is annoying. I am still not sure if it is caused by another software who is running sometimes or not.

Also the graphical card is not so good, so graphics can be a little bit slow to be drawn.

Even if vArranger is MIDI only, I have noticed that a faster CPU give the feeling of faster sound response, especially when you are playing a big chord of 10 notes on 4 sound layers together.

pax_eterna

Cool, thanks Dan...that's exactly what I was after...btw the Gigabyte s1081 does have the N2800 Processor - New model....

I was only thinking tablet because of the way a laptop needs to sit ...ie I need to build a special stand so the surface is close to hand when using it in arranger mode...I think perhaps  laptop might be better though as you say..

Would any dual core say, 1.8ghz and higher CPU be satisfactory? Or go for an i3 or i5?

pax_eterna

I took your advice re the tablets Dan.  So I went for a DELL Latitude E6410 - seemed like  a decent enough 14"er..

Thanks again
Dennis

Dan

pax_eterna

Just trying different options to finally get to the hardware setup that suits me and I like.. One thing I have learned is you can NEVER be sure about any system until you get it home and run it through its paces, using the methods you are going to use everyday.

Even if you demo a keybaord in a store, it is ONLY after you get it home to spend days on it do you then find out if it REALLY is the one, or just another box of compromises!

Simple really!

Dan

pax_eterna

Just to clarify a little further Dan, ....I was looking at a tablet so it would sit next to my Android Tablet (which runs my -for gigs-  PDF music chart app)...which is why I chose the Portege m780 that you knew about. However, as vA is awful in portrait mode, and really quite un-useable for me, I decided to forget tablets altogether and go back to a "standard" laptop.

I will be setting up my controller keyboard buttons and knobs to run all the needed "live controls" and the latop will sit on a stand to my left, with the Android Tablet on the stand with the keyboard.

This is why I changed...I might post a pic and videos once I get the new latpop in. The stand will be a Roland PDS-10

Dennis

Dan

Witch model of Android tablet is good for displaying pdf?
As good as the iPad?

necdetdoni

i had motorola xoom..better than ipad for pdfs..but i sold...

pax_eterna

Quote from: Dan on September 20, 2012, 08:41:44 AM
Witch model of Android tablet is good for displaying pdf?
As good as the iPad?

Any of the 10" lot is fine Dan. I use an app called MobileSheets, and while the Android is not as clear and sharp as the Retina display on the iPad 3, it is not that far behind. And really, MORE than adequate for reading charts!

Personally I find the 9" and below tablets not that good size wise, but there are some folks who use them and have no issues...

Dennis

pax_eterna

Quote from: necdetdoni on September 20, 2012, 09:56:35 AM
i had motorola xoom..better than ipad for pdfs..but i sold...

Actually there is NOTHING better than an iPad for mobile PDF charts or PDF documents in general - imho. It's just I have come to a point where I don't reckon it's worth $800 to do so, when a $260 tablet does the same. And that includes the Xoom. Sorry.

For me it was a case of seriously figuring out EXACTLY what I was doing with the tablet, and when I realised it was only being used for chart reading (I use my iPhone 4s for everything else) I decided to place those resources tied up in the iPad into something else and go to the Android device.

I did at one stage have hopes for using vA to do the lot, arranger and chart reading after Dan announced PDF support, but as I said in portrait mode everything gets too squashed, all the columns do not resize properly and the actual PDF display is a bit small, and it covers most of the controls...so I think it better to go the "no one device is going to do it all" approach and leave specific devices to do what they do best.

I have no issues with Dan or vA re that, I know he is busy developing vA into new and exciting areas, and as such has not a lot of time for "tangent" projects like PDF integration. You the saying, worry about the things you CAN change!! ;)

Dennis

Dan

I have an idea to create an android or ipad app, to display scores controlled by vArranger and bluetooth or wifi

pax_eterna

Quote from: Dan on September 20, 2012, 03:49:07 PM
I have an idea to create an android or ipad app, to display scores controlled by vArranger and bluetooth or wifi

Dan....now THAT would be seriously cool!!!

fwiw I reckon Bluetooth would be the go. None of the hassles of wi-fi, and ALL the devices support it, and usually all with Auto-Pairing which makes it really easy for users with little experience in this field.

Dennis

PS: and if you have time, I would do BOTH!!

The Android is now starting to see some really good chart reading apps...On iPad the only two I recommend is Unrealbook or GoodReader (both of which support the transmission of a midi "setup" file that can be linked to the chart - for anyone needing clarification of this very useful tool , check out my video using iPad and the PA2x  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu_cVjThIh0 ) on the Android it would have to be MobileSheets....

pax_eterna

By the way Dan, now that I see you are online here - how is that new thumb drive version coming along?

Thanks
Dennis

Dan

I will do it today. I have to finish some work before.

Bluetooth is good ! Will think about it

pax_eterna

Thanks Dan, it's just I notice it is already 8pm in France so "today" is running out!!  ;D

Dennis

Dan

Before midnight is still today :)

Some of the best vArranger ideas where coded after midnight too :)