News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

New Laptop for vArranger

Started by Deane, August 11, 2012, 10:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deane

Dan,
I probably will buy a 2nd laptop dedicated only for vArranger.  I already have a macbook pro but don't want to put Windows on it.
I thought about a Macbook Air.   What are the necessary specs I need to look for in another laptop to run Windows 7 and vArranger?

Deane

Dan

Any PC who runs Windows 7 will be OK for vArranger

Deane

Thanks Dan,
I want something really light and might wait until the new Windows 8 tablets arrive.  My original MacBook Pro's motherboard burned up and the store gave me a new one - not the retina display though.   I decided I don't want to run windows on my Macbook Pro and want to buy a basic lightweight laptop for vArranger only.   I need to find out if Roland has released midi drivers for Windows 8 first - the last time I checked they had not released them. 

Deane

Dan

The Windows 8 release date is October 26, 2012.
I think that every PC shipped after this date will own Windows 8 inside.
We have to wait a little bit...

Lionel

Hi Deane,

If you plan to run any vst (software base sounds) then you need something with a little more grunt than your standard laptop.
(That is if you plan on using outputs to a VST base program from vArranger)

I have Kontakt 5 on my laptop and various other software base sounds.

I have i7 Quad with 16 Gig of RAM (Yes RAM not hard drive)

But if you plan to run only vArranger then most Laptops will be fine with say 4 Gig of ram and i5 processor.
As vArranger is basically midi based, which doesn't require grunt.

Regards
Lionel

Deane

Thank you Lionel.  I have no plans to run anything except vArranger on the laptop.
Deane

Deane

Dan

No.
Windows 8 own 2 engines :
- Win32 who is the windows that you already know.
- WinRT who is a new OS, optimized for touch tablets.

vArranger uses Win32.

Some new tablets will run Windows 8 classic, with the 2 engines, but some will run only the WinRT. So be careful to not buy a WindowsRT for ARM tablet if you want to use vArranger.

Deane

Hi Dan,
I went shopping today and found 2 different laptops that come with Windows 7.  The version of Windows on these
laptops is the 64 bit version.  Will vArranger run on them?
They have the I5 processor and 4 gigs of RAM.

Deane

Dan

Yes. vArranger is a true 64 bit software.

Deane

Thanks Dan,
your input is always appreciated. 

Deane

Deane

I bought my new PC Laptop yesterday to use with vArranger.  I found and Asus UltraBook 13 inch.  It runs on a Pentium with 4 gigs of RAM and has a 250gig hard drive.  Those specs are plenty strong for my needs which will be vArranger and one other business related program that runs only on Windows.   The price was really good as it was one of the "get rid of it" sales.

I downloaded my midi controller driver, loaded the vArranger software and had it up and running within the hour.  Seems to work just fine with vArranger.  I'll give it a few hours testing at home before it's first gig in public.

Deane

Dan

Cool ! This is another advantage of vArranger.

You buy a new computer, copy your vArranger folder, and you find your whole music setup ready to play, as before.

Do you have a link of your computer, or a precise reference, so I can check what exactly inside?

Deane

Dan

It's 14 inches.

I think, it will be perfect for vArranger. Compact, lightweight, and very cheap.

It's more interesting than eeepc