News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Idea for lyrics entry

Started by pax_eterna, July 08, 2012, 05:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pax_eterna

I had an idea for a new feature for vA - How about the ability to insert lyrics as well under each line of chords on the Song Chord window?

Can anyone else see the advantages of having this feature?

eallan

Yes, I agree , very useful feature - as indeed would the ability to paste in all the Chords
at once from an existing song (Or import chords from a Midifile that had been created by
e.g. a Yamaha PSR arranger).
To be able to use vArranger as a chord sequencer with midi sync to BK-7m etc would
enable  me to go ahead and purchase vArranger!

Dan

Can you explain more what is your need to use lyrics + chords ?

Eallan, on the next coming version, vArranger will be able to send midi sync out to any external arranger !

pax_eterna

So that when you are playing the song, you can also sing it by having the lyrics as well, WITHOUT having to load up png files or texts or anything else....it's not important, and tbh if you need me to explain it, I really don't think you will ever get how useful this could be :-)  No offence meant there.

Attached is an example:

eallan

Hi Dan,
My main use would be as songwriting tool - it would help if the lyrics were in the same place as chords
during the creation process to facilitate all the changes to lyrics and chords as the song is built.
It would be good to have my left hand free to play a full keyboard part while vArranger plays the Chords
while displaying the lyrics beside the chords and then being able to save to file and reload another time.
If vArranger could then export everything(i.e. Style parts, chords , lyrics) to a 'Lead Sheet' midi file
with the chords and lyrics showing in the arrangement it would be brilliant.
Good that midi sync is coming - am I correct in assuming this means vArranger will be able to be
used as a chord sequencer with an external Arranger keyboard/Module ?
Is the Roland style engine almost ready?

pax_eterna

Quote from: eallan on July 08, 2012, 10:39:56 PM
am I correct in assuming this means vArranger will be able to be
used as a chord sequencer with an external Arranger keyboard/Module ?
Is the Roland style engine almost ready?

afaik, it can already do this - via the SD2/4 - or are you talking about actually "driving" the chord recognition engine of the external arranger/arranger module?

eallan

yes, I mean using the chords in vArranger driving the chord recognition engine of the external arranger/arranger module,
i.e. using vArranger as a chord sequencer.
vArranger would have to output say 4 multi Note chords (from a special style I assume?) per bar on a midi channel,
which would be recognised as chords by the external unit and play it just as if you were playing chords on a keyboard.
If Dan could add the option to alllow transmitting midi data for changing style variations , intro , endings etc it would be
an even more powerful chord sequencer.
(As far as i know the only Arranger with a Chord Sequncer is the Korg PA3X = £3000!!)

angel1000

I would also like that feature, for the chord view window to perform the same functions it performs for the sd2 to perform it on other arrangers like the Audya. It would save me a lot of time not to have to play chords on a keyboard. so from the chord window one can change the fills, or the tempo,or the main variations. For the varranger to be the interface.

angel1000

right off the bat what will midi sync allow us to do. I don't quite understand the specifics of midi sync.

pax_eterna

Unfortunately I do not think what you guys are asking for is possible - it requires a LOT of sysex data!!! Most of those operations are controlled by sysex, and NOT simple MIDI C.C.'s

And I can tell you for a fact you will NOT get any sysex data out of Korg...Ketron and Yamaha are more open about it...but still need a lot of programming work to get remote variations and fills happening just from the Chords Window...Dan is free to correct me if I am wrong, but I think he will agree.

But adding the ability to write some lyrics under the chord line, is pretty simple spreadsheet programming....

Dan

mmm... when I will find some time, I will try on my audya if SYNC IN is working (nobody knows lol) and if the audya is changing variations and fill ins on time.
I think there is a table with some sysex to control the variations from an external midi device.
I think Korg's variations can also be controlled with some bank and program changes. Have to read the Roland tables too.
Now that the midi sync is here, it's not so hard to send some more midi messages for changing variations.
We just have to try and look at if it is working.

Adding lyrics to the song chords is a cool feature...
It will be quite hard because of the text length inside each bar, but I will think about it

mmm.... I think all what you are asking here will be into vArranger in the future.
More users we are, and better is vArranger :)

4partmusic

There is a real gap in the industry for simple creation of chords and lyrics attached to measures.  It seems no one has been able to come up with a simple solution that allows simply typing in the lyrics and matching to the measure.  I use OpenSong @ Opensong.org a lot for creating lead sheets.  I have always thought if there was a simple way to get that to output to a chord arranger like Varranger or BIAB it would really allow quick creation of lead sheets and possibly midi based notation. 

My thought would be something as simple as imagining an excel worksheet type interface.  There would be a measure with 4 blocks for the chord.  There would then be a blank space under that measure that would allow you to enter the lyrics and tie them to that measure.  It would have to have a character limitation obviously so it would not be 100% perfect.   Probably over simplifying but just wanted to comment on the need.

Terry

jan1kow

GNMidi software has a simple way of inserting lyrics line by line .
I usually make each line 4-6 words long.
You syncronise each line of text to the song tempo by simply pressing the PC spacebar each time a new line of text is to be displayed during the song play. This GNMidi procedure is then saved and vArranger will then display syncronised text in when the saved midi file is played.
The midi file could simply consist of accompanyment chords with relevant song text which is same as a vArranger "song chords".

jon