News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

What Are You Guys Using To Change Your Variations etc

Started by rikkisbears, September 12, 2011, 02:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikkisbears

Hi,
if one doesn't have a touch screen, what are you guys using to change your variations etc
Full Qwerty Keyboard?? or what.

best wishes
Rikki

Tidom

Hi Rikki !
I use a little USB KORG NanoKontrol !
For the moment I use my EeePc Keybord only to change tempo !
But I have to report these commands to the NanoKontrol ! It will be better for me to have all the commands on the same controller !
With Varranger you can have 2 controler for the same control .
For example my ABCD variations can be controlled with 4 of my NanoKontyroller buttons and 4 of my computer keyboard touchs !
Good music Rikki !
Tidom   (France)

Lionel

Hi Rikki,

There are  a few ways to trigger a variation change.

1. You can asign the changes to a midi keyboard eg. variation 1 to a midi controller - variation 2 to another midi controller
the above is how our midi keyboard contollers are set. (To a lot of various other things as well)

2. Assign variation to any PC keyboard key.

3. If you use song chord feature you set the variation with this feature and select the Link button on main screen. vArranger will change variation
by itself when it reachs the pre-programmed changes in chord feature.

Lionel

rikkisbears

Thanks Guys,

finally worked out how to do it, after translating that bit of the manual. Don't want to use my laptop keyboard, because I probably won't remember what key , I assigned to what function. haahaa

I  remembered I had an old cheap usb numerical keypad with about 16 buttons , floating around somewhere. Found it, assigned start/stop,variations, fills, etc to it Going to get myself a set of stickers, that I can stick on the keys, so I know what each  does.. It's even got a couple of usb out ports on it.

May just work for me as I cansit it somewhere a bit more convenient than I could my laptop.

jan1kow

rikkisbears
I use old style foot switches with 1/4" jack connected to an American Lodigy UMI3 USB converter box ..............
The UMI3 is a USB foot controller which shows up as a class MIDI device on Mac or PC. No driver installation is required. It is powered through USB. Each of its three switches can be configured to send any type of short MIDI message (note on/off, continuous controller, program changes...) An external expression pedal can be connected to the "exp" input which can be configured to send any continuous controller message
http://logidy.com/
Jon
UK

Bernie9

I use my Axiom 61 with little stickies taped to the functions but I am ready to take them off as I pretty much know them now.  I do like Rikki's number pad though.

Bernie

rikkisbears

Thanks Bernie,
I suppose you do evently get used to where functions are. Can't afford to put stickers on the laptop, or I won't know what I'm typing. haahaa
Don't particularly want to stick them all over my  pa3x either.
The little key pad cost me something like $10 including postage off Ebay, straight from Hong Kong or China. Just a bit junk but may just do the trick.
Just have to work out what I want to assign to each of the buttons..

best wishes
Rikki

Lionel

Hi Rikki,

I have missed something.

What instrument are you using with vArranger?

Lionel

rikkisbears

Hi Lionel,
I'm using a Korg PA3X Arranger keyboard.

I bought VArranger so that I have access to some of my old Ketron SD1 styles.  Great way to have a Ketron, without actually adding another keyboard.

I don't actually perform, hobbyist , home use only.

Lionel

Rikki,

Why do you need to assign vArranger control to anything else but your Korg PA3X Arranger keyboard.

You originally asked about assigning variation control, why can't you assign to your Korg PA3X Arranger keyboard.

Or doesn't it have any midi controllers on board.

Lionel

Dan

Keyboards are not always sending the same midi message while we press their buttons.
You can see what the keyboard is sending on the CONTROLLERS screen

rikkisbears

Hi Lionel/Dan,
unfortunately the variations , intro /ending buttons etc , don't appear to send out any messages to VArranger.
V Arranger recognized a couple of my sliders & I was able to assign midi channels 1 to 16 for volume
but the rest of the buttons , nothing.
The keys could be assigned, but I like having all 61 of them. haahaa
Actually the korg is a good controller as far as arranger keyboards go, far better than my psr or ketron ever was.

I'm quite happy to use a keypad, at least I can set it up as I want.

best wishes
Rikki