News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

VST sound quality changes

Started by vumusic, November 07, 2021, 02:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vumusic

A VST Falcon sampling synth is used as the sound source for my VArranger.  However, the sampled instruments sound not as good as when they are played from the stand alone version of the sampler.  I thought the VArranger only send midi signals to the VST instruments, and the instruments generate sounds directly to the outputs.  I noticed each mixer channel of the VArranger has 3 effects that apply to the sound of the channel.  Do the audio outputs from the VST got routed back to the VArranger to be processed and then routed to the outputs of the VArranger, hence the quality changes?  How to setup for my VST synth to output audio as if it is in stand alone mode?

The synth is 64 bit VST, and I used the exact same sound programs to compare.

Dan

This is strange.
If you don't send the VST to FX1/2/3, they should not change the sound
Can you send me the link of this vst falcon, so I can try?
Can you record an audio file so we can hear the difference?
vArranger sends some midi data, maybe Falcon reacts to some midi data, or any other mystery

vumusic

Falcon is the main product of UVI.  www.uvi.net

A few questions that might help me understand the mystery.

EFXs
Quote from: Dan on November 07, 2021, 09:14:34 PM
If you don't send the VST to FX1/2/3, ...
How do we send the VST to FX1/2/3?  Another words, how do the FX controls in Varranger, as a host, affect the VST plugins?

VELOCITY DEPTH
As far as the audio differences, I found a slider that affects the VST sound.  It's called Velocity Depth in the Sound Edit panel.  This one is defaulted at 64.  As I increased this value, the piano sounds were brightened due to higher velocity strikes.  The dullness I heard in the sound previously might be due to this velocity limit.  I searched but there is no explanation for Velocity Depth in the manual.  How does this work?

VELOCITY OFFSET
The Velocity Offset slider, defaulted at 64, when set to 0, completely mutes the sound of the channel.  This behavior does not look like an offset function to me.  The manual says it is usually set at 0, yet it is defaulted at 64.  Please explain how this works.

Thanks.

Dan

From what you say it seems related to the brightness of the sound

vArranger sends many midi CC. For most, the reset default value is 64
Facon VST is maybe reacting to some midi CC, in a non standard way
You can try moving the Filter cutoff frequency or other sliders (attack / release...) to see if they react

Dan

Here I explain about the VST to FX
https://www.varranger.com/wiki/index.php?title=VSTi#VST_Options

Here I explain the new VELOCITY sliders :

https://www.varranger.com/vforum/index.php/topic,4006.msg32207.html#msg32207

- SOUND EDIT / VELOCITY DEPTH : This allows to adjust the velocity slope of right and left tracks. A value of 64 means linear 1:1 slope. A value of 127 means the track will react 2 time more to the input velocity level. A value of 32 means the track will react 2 time less to the input velocity level.

- SOUND EDIT / VELOCITY OFFSET : This allows to add or subtract a constant value to the played velocity of right and left tracks. A value of 64 means no change. A value of 127 means the track will plays always at full velocity level (can be useful if you want to control the volume only with an expression pedal or a breath controller). A value of 54 means the track will react with the input velocity value less 20. (The negative offset is a new feature compared to the previous positive only velocity offset control)
The Velocity depth and offset adds a new level of expression. Some solo instruments can get more presence with a bit of positive offset, but, with a slower slope depth, you still have some dynamic control.

vumusic

So a value of 64 in the Velocity Depth and Velocity Offset means neutral.  Great, this eliminates the velocity limit reason.  I moved the effect and the Sweep sliders, and none affected the VST sound.  So, as you said it could be the VST responded strangely to some midi CC from the host.  At this point what I heard seems to be a velocity curve change.  I'm glad there is no rerouting of the VST audio back to the host as I question in the beginning.  I will use the product more and update if I found something.  The level of interaction (controls) with a VST plugin is impressive.  Thank you for your help.

Dan

You can check the OPTIONS / MASTER
Maybe you have added some MIDI GAIN
Better to let it at 0 if you don't have a good reason to change it

vArranger VST host is very good :)