News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Varranger - is it worth it?

Started by polvader, September 21, 2021, 05:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polvader

Hello. I have been following this forum for a long time and I have a lot of questions and doubts in my head. I own an Audy ketron and plan to either buy a Korg pa2x pro or build an Instrument on a Varranger system. I already had Korg - a great instrument when it comes to modifying styles. You can substitute your own percussion samples to the styles I care about the most. Varranger tempts to cooperate with VST. However, I have a few questions.
1. Is it possible to substitute Ezdrummer percussion in the style and save the settings in the registry so that after restarting the program everything is ready and nothing needs to be set?
2. Can I make links in the program to, for example, the 10 best Contact sampler sounds?
3. What if the i-Lock flash drive is damaged or lost ...
4. I read on the forum that the program works well with the bank "TYRUS", will Dan's bank (genos) be better enough to pay 150E?
I would like to play using e.g. Tyrus, drum samper and VST sounds for right hand ..
And the most important thing - is the program still developing ... A lot of people have doubts and this is the main obstacle in buying :(

polvader

I will answer myself. I've been waiting too long and waiting. If the new version 1.20 is released within 2 weeks, I will make the purchase. After this time, I decided to buy the Korg PA700.

musicmaker84

The PA700 is still a great arranger that I use myself stand-alone or together with VA. You won't regret buying the PA700.

Dan

Hello,

1. Not possible for now to remap drums notes directly in vArranger.
2. Yes, NI Kontak has a BANK feature when you can put your best 128 instruments, that will be recalled by MIDI PROGRAM CHANGE. Mostly useful for right hand sounds
3. If damaged, don't throw it, keep it well, and we can arrange a replacement. If lost, I am afraid, vArranger is lost too
4. Basically, you can select for any track if you want to play with MIDI OUT, VST instrument, vArranger soundbanks, your own SF2/SFZ samples...
Our "Genos" soundbank is a great basis to have many drums/sounds already compatible with Yamaha styles. Then you can use other sounds to improve things.
The Soundbanks can be bought later if needed

vArranger is still being improved. I am about to release a new version

I have a PA600. PA700 should be a great keyboard, ready to play, but if you want to build your own instrument, vArranger is still very interesting. I myself build such integrated synth :)

BjayG

[Today 12:12:51]  >vArranger is still being improved. I am about to release a new version

Yes some time soon - thats what Dan said on 22nd Aug 2019    and then again "within a month" in July 2021. 

vA is capable of excellent results and some people swear by it.  I bought my copy of vA around 2014 and find some of the functionality, and lack of development, very frustrating - so my view is that if vA does what you want now then go ahead and buy it (would I?) .   If you are relying on new facilities coming along at regular intervals - then think carefully.     

The arguments is often made that vA is open ended, whereas a hardware arranger is closed and cannot be further developed.  This is irrelevent!  If Dan gets run over by a bus, or decides to enjoy a new life style (maybe unfortunately as a result of getting run over by a bus), and there is a new version of Windows (or you lose your dongle) which means that vA wont run - then you ae stuffed!    A hardware arranger may age  a bit - but most are pretty good these days and very reliable -and it will still work even if the manufacturer goes bust.

Be realistic about the costs as by the time you add together all the other bits and pieces you need (including sound addons) it  is not a cheap solution.  I also suggest you read the comments on the forum by others and then decide.

Good luck!

Barry

The Wizz

[Today 12:12:51]  >vArranger is still being improved. I am "about" to release a new version

Did you notice that Dan (surreptitiously) did not give a release date for the new version.
Users have being waiting over 2 years now.

Dan, do you foresee any issues with vArranger2 and Windows 11 new update expected next month.?

polvader

1. I realized that pendrive protection is only good for Dan .. What if after years I lose my key and as BjayG wrote it "If Dan gets run over by a bus"?
2. Will there be a new version? Dan wrote on the French forum on August 3: "just a few more days" - we have the end of September :(
3. Repertoire made on the Korg PA700  is very easy to transfer later to a higher model. I can add my own drum samples, bass, guitars etc. to the style.
- I save the settings and it all works. I have already started to complete my own keyboard for Varranger, but I think I'll make a synthesizer based on VST sounds.
4. There are many people disappointed in the forum with the development of the program - why the author does not give any hope - recording a new version of Youtube - not necessarily refined, it would change a lot, and this is Varranger 1.20 - program - spectre ...

ElTyros

Quote from: BjayG on September 23, 2021, 04:07:11 PM

[Today 12:12:51]  >vArranger is still being improved. I am about to release a new version

Yes some time soon - thats what Dan said on 22nd Aug 2019    and then again "within a month" in July 2021. 

vA is capable of excellent results and some people swear by it.  I bought my copy of vA around 2014 and find some of the functionality, and lack of development, very frustrating - so my view is that if vA does what you want now then go ahead and buy it (would I?) .   If you are relying on new facilities coming along at regular intervals - then think carefully.     

The arguments is often made that vA is open ended, whereas a hardware arranger is closed and cannot be further developed.  This is irrelevent!  If Dan gets run over by a bus, or decides to enjoy a new life style (maybe unfortunately as a result of getting run over by a bus), and there is a new version of Windows (or you lose your dongle) which means that vA wont run - then you ae stuffed!    A hardware arranger may age  a bit - but most are pretty good these days and very reliable -and it will still work even if the manufacturer goes bust.

Be realistic about the costs as by the time you add together all the other bits and pieces you need (including sound addons) it  is not a cheap solution.  I also suggest you read the comments on the forum by others and then decide.

Good luck!

Barry
+1

drepalla

The initial question, Varranger - is it worth it? IMO, yes, it is definitely worth the 349,00 € you give for it! ( I've had it myself since april 2020)
Remember it has been in development for over a decade, while maintaining the status of being by far the best live arranger/style player available running on a PC.

\drepalla

musicmaker84

I never regarded vArranger as a cheaper alternative but as a more or less future prove flexible arranger platform and VST host.

I got my money's worth over the years using and mostly enjoying it.

Should Dan decide he has had it and abandon further development, I hope he would conceive a way first to run it without copy protection.

Should 1.20 be everything everyone is hoping for in terms of new features and fixes, there is no reason to not consider longterm.

I am happy with 1.19 for the most part, but my requirements might be different from the power users. There are still days I only use my hardware arrangers as well as times that I solely enjoy vArranger and think it's the next best thing after sliced bread.

polvader

Quote from: polvader on September 22, 2021, 07:00:15 PM
I will answer myself. I've been waiting too long and waiting. If the new version 1.20 is released within 2 weeks, I will make the purchase. After this time, I decided to buy the Korg PA700.

I kept my word. I just bought a 7 month old PA700. A great instrument. Even so, I still hope Varranger is not dead .. Regards

Dan

Congratulation for your PA700. Enjoy