News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Audya vs Tyros

Started by jan1kow, July 31, 2011, 10:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jan1kow

Deane
I love my SD2 but thought Tyros and Audya was ment to beeven better yet you say you prefer your SD2.
I have no first hand experience of Tyros and Audya but would be interested in more info from your comparison.
Here are some interesting youtube demos for Audya

http://wn.com/Ketron_Audya__ROCK%27N_ROLL_MEDLEY

jon

Deane

Jon,
I have played the Audya and was present when AJ gave a demo for the first time in
the US of the Audya.  There is no doubt the sounds are amazing and the build quality
outstanding.  The problem was and is with the operating system which was not fully
complete when the Audya was released.  There were a few OS updates that did not
seem to give owners what they had been promised.  Several of my friends have sold
their Audya keyboards and moved on. 

I have also played the SD5 and the SD1 which were pretty good keyboards and
did not give owners many problems.

I did not buy any of the Ketron products except for a Midijay, which I sold, until I started using
vArranger which really requires the SD2 Unit to get the best sounds.   So I really don't
prefer any of the Ketron products - it is just a matter of needing the SD2 Unit so I can
use vArranger.

I have owned and gigged with the Tyros 3 and now a Tyros 4.  They are both outstanding keyboards
that have thousands of styles available for them - and all for free.  I only play gigs for older people
living in retirement communities or assisted living places.  The music I play is from the 1920s up to
about the early 1960s and is from the great American singers and Big Bands of those times.  So, mostly
I am playing Jazz, Dixieland, Swing, Classic Country, and the ballads of the great American singers.   Yamaha really
has great styles for this kind of music and that is why I use them.

I am finding Dan's vArranger along with the SD2 Unit a very good match for the music I play.   It is my hope that Dan can
add Roland style compatibility to vArranger because Roland styles are also really good for what I play.  We shall see.

Deane

jan1kow

Deane,
Thanks for this interesting info.
Thats really bad that Audya OS is causing problems.
I have seen much about this on the Ketron forum and how much people struggle with problems that should not be happening.
I really feel sorry them they have spent so much money and do not get what that paid for with Audya.
On the other hand ketron have been releasing new models over the past 10 years and doing the same thing without fully testing before public launch.
I am surprised these people rush and buy as these same people are fully aware of ketron doing this from past experience.
I am happy with my SD2. Look at the compact size of it and the cost alows me to own a second unit as a spare. As the SD2 is really just a sound module it is actually a bit pricy but up against an arranger or keyboard its only a tenth of the cost. So thats good as far as I am concearned.   
Also if I were interested in Audya I would wait and see what others are reporting about it because we need to be cautious when Ketron bring out new stuff that they do not test properly. They are foolish. again who are they I asked in another topic post-nobldy knows? lol
Its a pity about ketron as thay have good sounds.
jon

Bernie9

On the other hand I have an SD2 for varranger and an Audya76 and have had no problems whatsoever.  I should add that I bought mine with the first upgrade and downloaded 4.2b myself.

I think some of the first ones had more problems and since I am no power user, I may not have encountered bugs in the more advanced features.

That being said, I knew I was taking a chance but nothing beats Ketrons sound, and I was lucky.  Both units are my favorites over my Roland G-70 and Technics KN7000.

Bernie