News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

USB flash drive issues

Started by bluebeat, March 28, 2020, 10:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebeat

Not sure if I am the only one who has these issues?

I had 2 flash drives gone bad on me, the ones with the VA license.... It happens because I leave them plugged in computer, forgetting to pull them out, when not in use. They exhibit same behavior after a while...  Drive appears, then disappears.  Dan was cool and transferred the license to new flashes, BUT that required me  destroying the flash drives. So 2 drives down, third starting to go. There are two main problems:
1) Drive gets destroyed voiding the warranty.
2) It takes special request from Dan, buying another drive, taking video and transferring the license.

I used Sandisk and Samsung drives, which are better ones.

I wish there was a mechanism (like Waves for example), that you can transfer your license either to USB, Computer ID or keep online by yourself, without the need of administrator.  Ideally, I would like the license to be "attached" to computer ID and transferred to USB if needed.

Would like to know if somebody else have these issues.

Dan

I myself had to contact Pace anti piracy company because all my music software linked to my computer ID can't run anymore (why?), and had to wait few days to get some help...
This is what I want to avoid, and especially to link to internet your music computer, to check on internet every day if your computer ID is valid
I also don't understand why your USB is dying. Maybe your USB port does not have a good voltage? Especially because you don't need to put any vArranger files in the USB disk, and vArranger does not read or write in the USB, so it can't cause any damages, and if you don't plug/unplug it also don't physically get damaged... Strange...

bluebeat

My guess is that I choose flash drives of small form factor (Samsung fit for example) and probably the heat does not dissipate well like with larger form flash drives. Two separate computer, I highly doubt it is a port in PC.  They work fine for about a year then start to give up. I choose these small factor drives to avoid breaking the USB port as I move laptop often. Does anybody else use these small factor flash drives full time?

bluebeat

There will be ALWAYS some negative reviews percentage of ANY piece of technology :) Right now I have 3rd flash drive that is going bad on me.
NO drive has failed right away. It starts connecting/disconnecting randomly. At first at can be once a week, than once a day...once an hour etc. Formatting, scanning, "repairing" etc., does not help.

I usually try to buy large capacity flash, so I can use it for license + storage.
I wish there was a way to transfer license without contacting owner and destroying the drive.
User license transfer PC ID <-->USB flash  should be very doable.  So even if I buy cheap drives from now, still it would make a lot of sense to be able to attach / transfer license to PC ID or Flash. I think it is a reasonable request.

Dan

Once a USB is activated, it can't be disabled for life. Even if you format it, it will still work with vArranger

Deane

Dan,
I had a question about this too.  I am still using the thumb drive you activated nearly 6 years ago.  I only plug it in when I run vArranger and have never had a problem with it.  However, once before you provided a version of vArranger with a key that I used on my laptop.  After I changed laptops I could no longer use that version of vArranger without the thumb drive.  I play gigs all the time and I would like to not have to keep up with a single thumb drive on gigs.  It would be much better to use vArranger without the thumb drive on gigs.  FYI - when I changed laptops I did clean it off completely before selling it.

Deane

Brian

My pen drive was activated ten years ago. I had no issues with it. Is it time to change due to it's age?

Dan

After 10 years, it has proven to be strong. No problem to continue with the same USB for the next 10 years :)
USB is really the best solution, as you don't need me to use vArranger on any computers.
To my experience here, users who changes their computers is a lot more frequent than USB that got damaged

BjayG

I agree with Dan.   The solution has proved to be quite robust and there is absolutely no reason to change it at all.   If Dan is prepared to be flexible when somebody has a problem then there is no reason for concern - and certainly not make any program changes.

Barry

bluebeat

Barry,
I do not agree.
Waves have it "robust" where you, "The User" can transfer your license from one usb flash drive to another (or PC ID). Without the need of help from customer service support personnel , sending the drive in, or destroying it. I do have flash drives that I bought 15 years ago that still work. Either quality declined or that is a karma of low profile drives plugged for extended time.

BjayG

Bluebeat,

I know you do not agree and I am sorry about that - but it will definately not take 5 minutes for Dan to develop and test a system of authorisation similar to that used by Waves (which I hate by the way!!). 

We cannot keep criticising Dan for not delivering facilities on vA and then ask him to go off at a tangent to develop a new authorisation system that must be a low priority.  I have been a member of this forum for about 8 years and cannot recall anyone else getting upset about this authorisation system.   I think you are mixing 'WANT' and 'NEED'.

Barry

Deane

I have to agree with BJGuy on this.  I too have had vArranger for nearly a decade and I have without hesitation or doubt praised the outstanding support Dan has provided us for all these years.  I have been online with Dan probably 4 or 5 times so he could get my vArranger updated or helping me learn how to use it years ago.  Wow!  How many companies do that for free!.  Dan is right about the thumb drive - it works on any computer and that is a convince.  My post was really about taking extra stuff along for gigs.  I am always fearful of losing it.  Anyway, I have to give Dan my full support just like he has supported me.

Deane

bluebeat

First of all, please keep emotions down. We all got plenty of that "goodness" at this time. I am not criticizing Dan.
I am disappointing by poorly made USBs. I am also confident Dan will assist me if drive fails completely.

Having said that... If I am not mistaken Dan uses 3rd party usb key programming.  Perhaps that company offers  option ->hard drive license with current setup? That would be nice. I only expressed my opinion.

On that note, USB form factor is a "going out" technology, will be replaced by C type / Thunderbolt connector soon. Something to think about.

Dan

First, I have hired some experts to try to get rid of the false positive virus alert that bother all of us for the next version

olivier71500

"First, I have hired some experts to try to get rid of the false positive virus alert that bother all of us for the next version"

that 's a great news because it's a very annoying problem (even with antivirus exclusion settings)

bluebeat

Dan,
my USB flash is dying (going on/off) every 40 minutes or so. It is not the port, same thing happened with previous drive... It will probably work for a few more month. The last one started disconnecting about once a day, then more often, and then within 30 seconds after being plugged.  I might have to bother you soon. But before I do... Can you please tell me, can license be attached to external mini USB  SSD (like Samsung T5)? or Flash only?
Thank you.

Dan

Ok, can you send me private messages for licensing issues?