News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

SGU back to BIAB request... or question

Started by bluebeat, March 09, 2020, 10:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebeat

Hi Dan,
since you already have a way to import SGU from BIAB to vArranger, I would like to request a two way file save.
Meaning... Many times BIAB screws up chords when importing arrangement as MIDI to BIAB. Is it possible to somehow save "song chords"  sheet so that BIAB reads it correctly and places correct chords on correct bars..and possibly a markers where the style parts (Main, fills etc) are changed?  If it is possible , how would you do as it is right now?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Dan

vArranger is not here to correct bugs in BIAB  8)
Also, vArranger is more a player than an editor
Also, I don't have all the BIAB format info, to be able to write it....

BjayG

Bluebeat,

I agree with Dan.   We (you and I ) critisise him heavily for not getting some of the problems and key developments with vA sorted in a meaningful time.  Yet here you are asking him to spend valuable development time doing something almost specifically for you( as 99+% of vA users do not have and will never have this requirement). 

Sorry - in my humble opinion you should either find a plan B to fix your problem or just live with it.    If there is a bug with BIB then I would suggest you ask them to fix it as Dan implies.

Barry

bluebeat

Dan, BjayG

First of all, I did not ask for importing (BIAB)SGU chords... It was already done in vArranger some time ago. I was wondering if same SGU could be saved back with chords from "Song Chords".

If this is not possible, how to export these chords (from Song Chords)? I am not an expert, but I believe it is done either from Midi Chord track or MusicXML...

That is why I asked how would Dan handle the task of exporting these chords? Can it be done the right way, not by analyzing and interpreting these chords through a third party software. I am talking about straight forward Export -> Import.

Please let me know.
Thanks.

Dan

I have added recently a sysex event (XF CHORDS FORMAT) for each chord change in the midifile export.
Can you check if you have them in your version?

bluebeat

Dan, sorry I am not too familiar with this...(XF CHORDS FORMAT)
Will it show as a separate midi track in DAW? Like chord track?

Dan

You can load the midifile in vArranger, and see in the OPTIONS / MIDI EVENT LIST, and see if you can see some SYSEX lines at the time of the chords

bluebeat

Dan,
I trust that you made this: XF CHORDS FORMAT, so even if I do not have it now, it will be in update.
But please explain if it is possible to use your Midi+XF  feature to convert to MusicXML. Third party app? Converter?  As I understand, MusicXML is universal, meaning if you have particular cords at particular bars, that is exactly how it will be opened in all compatible software (not interpreted!)

What would you recommend to transfer MIDI with XF Chord Format to MusicXML?
BIAB, so as many other programs use MusicXML, but I am completely new at this. Please suggest what I can try.

Thank you.

Dan

There is not an universal format.
Maybe BIAB can import xf chords?

bluebeat

Seems the "most" universal from what I can see
https://www.musicxml.com/software/

So no saving back imported SGU to VA....
So what to do with that MIDi+XF? Was it made just for hardware keyboards?

What about if original style the midi is made from was not Yamaha, but Ketron or Roland for example?
Will it still write foe xf to it?

Thanks.

Dan

Yes musicxml seem very popular in notation sheet music software, as it define how music should be displayed with musical notes etc...
Any software can import XF chords from midifile if they want
It doesn't depend on the style format, as software simply ignore SYSEX messages that they does not understand

bluebeat

Dan,
I tried Midi from VA-> Musescore->MusicMXL
It screws up chords....

Tell me something please. You already deciphered MGU. VA takes it well and  transfers chords correctly from MGU. Why not make it two way, so you can save same MGU file with chord changes made in VA.
I am not even talking about markers or styles, just number of bars and chords from VA->MGU

It seems you already done 95%+  of work on this, just need to be able to save back to original or generic MGU to have it both ways.

Please let me know.
Thank you.

ElTyros

Quote from: BjayG on March 10, 2020, 11:53:31 AM
Bluebeat,

I agree with Dan.   We (you and I ) critisise him heavily for not getting some of the problems and key developments with vA sorted in a meaningful time.  Yet here you are asking him to spend valuable development time doing something almost specifically for you( as 99+% of vA users do not have and will never have this requirement). 

Sorry - in my humble opinion you should either find a plan B to fix your problem or just live with it.    If there is a bug with BIB then I would suggest you ask them to fix it as Dan implies.

Barry

bluebeat

ElTyros,
did you even knew before this post, that VA accepts MGU files YES/NO?
Did you even read this post???  If NOT, kindly do not mess up this thread. This question was not addressed to you.

Dan,
can you please answer if same MGU or generic file can be re-saved in the same manner it is opened?

Thank you.

Dan

Can you send me the midifile, so I can see if the XF chords are present?

BIAB has 100 different file formats, and always change things inside in every year version. I am far from having decoded all. I just decoded a little part of some files versions where I can recognize some chords.
To be able to save files, you need to decode all the file format.

As you are an BIAB expert, can you tell me what are the BIAB possibilities for REPEAT and go to measure etc...? So I can add this to vArranger too
I don't understand this software very well

bluebeat

Dan,
A fully stripped down version will work. The MGU format that you already have ability to open have been around for years. I am not talking about complex things.  Just number of bars + Chords changes from Song Menu to be saved to same or generic MGU file.

Dan

Sorry, I can't edit BIAB files. I have not enough infos about the file formats and vArranger has never been a file editor, but more a file player