News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

vArranger and Yamaha MODX or MOXF

Started by AleXY, December 05, 2019, 08:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AleXY

Hi everyone!

Found that someone talking about issues with playing yamaha styles on MOXF of MODX. Can somebody share audio or video examples how it's sounds like?
I want try to change my Yamaha PSR-3000 to something motif like but keep ability to use PSR styles... And this issue on MODX is very disappointing.

Thanks!

Tuggen

Didn't Dan get a MODX? Or did I dream that?
Dan, any comments on using Varranger with MODX?

Dan

Yes Sorry for not answering fast to this thread...
I have a MODX at home, but for now it is back to it's box, and I don't have time to do some recording on it.
From what I have tested, it was very good sounding ! and adding vArranger to the MODX is a really great addition, and sound good out of the box with many styles
The 3 problems I had noticed makes it not 100% perfect  but still acceptable :
- A little delay of few milliseconds is added after sending Program Change that includes DSP changes
- No support of midi CC 84 like other XG synths, so chords transition is a bit less smooth
- The release time of some string instruments are very long, and not reacting like the Tyros. This can be tuned manually, or maybe updated on a future version to limit the release time with MODX

But how it sounds, drums, strings, bass, piano... wow, we almost forgive other problems... but so bad... not 100% perfect

AleXY

Wow! Thank you for reply...
The most concerning point for me is "delay of few milliseconds". Such things is very annoying and scaring... Seems that I will switch to T4...
Anyway thank you for answers...

HaND! ;)

Dan

If you need a very good arranger, yes go for the T4. If you already have a modx, or is more a synth guy that need to add arranger features, go for vArranger + modx

Dan

However, I think the Modx drums, bass, pianos, strings, sax etc... are better :)

AleXY

I know...  :-[
In my opinion almost all instruments especially acoustic and synth are much better on MODX... Tyros series has better some ethnic instruments and super articulations 2 which sound amazing on demo but after several times begin to annoying with their monotony...

Dan

AleXY

Wow! Great, thank you! Amazing sound... Didn't hear any delays and gaps... ???

Dan

We can hear a little little gap when the variation is changing. The gap will be a bit more if the 8 tracks are changing instruments together between variations. Usually, only one or 2 instruments are changing, so it is OK

AleXY

Yep, indeed, I hear gap just before Main D starting on... Seems that with all 8 tracks instrument switching this will be awful... :(
Thank you for example... Now I know how this problem sounds like...

Dan

I think, not all the sound change produce a gap, but more the drum kits changes, or the sounds that own a different dsp