News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

A Few Problems To Solve

Started by Deane, June 27, 2011, 01:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deane

I have three issues that I can't find an answer to:
1.  If I change a style by muting a part or changing a voice of a part how do I save that change?
     Also, if I change something in variation 1 must I save the change before going on to say
     variation 3 to make changes?
2.  When playing many styles the LEFT voice usually plays even if I don't want it to play.  I can
     mute the LEFT voice but sometimes it adds to the style - BUT - I want the LEFT voice to sustain
     until the next chord is played.  Is there a way to cause the LEFT voice to HOLD or SUSTAIN until
     the next chord is played? 
3.  When I connect a sustain pedal to my controller (Roland A-800Pro) I get no sound from the keyboard
     or vArranger.  I changed the polarity of the pedal but that did not help.   I used this pedal with my
     BK-7M and it worked ok - is there a setting in vArranger for the Pedal?
Deane

Dan

1) When you save a song, all the arranger's tracks voices and volumes.... are saved. So, do not mute, but put a level at 0.

2) If you don't want the LEFT voices, select the LEFT track (close to the master volume), and then click on OFF (on top of the sound groups PIANO, E.PIANO...)
I think I will move that button close to the fader, so it will more easy to find :)

3) I think you plug the sustain pedal on the expression pedal plug. You have to plug it on the Sustain plug of the Keyboard.

Dan

Deane

Hi Dan,
Sustain Pedal solved - you must plug in the pedal BEFORE turning on the controller and starting vArranger. It works fine following those steps.

I was not trying to save a SONG.  What I am doing is playing many styles to see which ones match up with songs I play.  When I find one it might need to be adjusted.  That is ok because I can save the changed setup as a SONG.  But if all I want to do is adjust the style and then save the style with the changes for later use I have not found a way to do that.  If not possible that would be a great feature for future versions.

Also, I have not found a way to have the LEFT voice HOLD until the following chord is played.  That is also a feature that would be useful if not present in the current version.  Often the LEFT voice adds to the style but is difficult to use if it does not hold over to the next chord.

Deane

Dan

If you do SAVE SONG, and let the same name, and nothing checked, then, you just save the style mixer and voices changes.

Holding the left is something to add I agree. Not sure if I will do it like Ketron, or like Yamaha...

Dan

Deane

Dan,

That makes sense - I'll give it a try.  I am a style junkie - I use a lot of them and enjoy making changes to styles to see
how they will sound.  Lots of fun.  When I get anything worth sharing I'll either send them to you or post them on the forum.

Deane

Dan

It's a nice idea !

You can post your vArranger songs here
http://www.varranger.fr/vforum/index.php?board=6.0

You have to know that the style file is never touched. All changes are reversible and are saved in a companion file, for example .PAT2.

So if you share your PAT + PAT2, a user can listen to the same style.

You will also see the OPTIONS/SONG CHORDS, when you can record some song chords... there is a topic on that on this forum

Deane

Dan,

I am having a ball with this software.  I have always thought it would be fun to make changes to sounds and styles that came with my keyboards but the operating systems of the keyboards made it complicated.  Your software is so easy to use and the changes are immediate.  I'am like a kid at a candy store here.

I am working on the Tyros 1 styles now and finding they play pretty darn well and sound pretty good.  Because I entertain at senior places my song list is from the 1920s-1950s so I look for styles that fit that type of music - the old American standards.  I usually just delete the disco and modern styles because I never use them.  Your software makes this easy to do and I will end up with a customized set of styles free of all the stuff I never use.   Can't really do that on most keyboards.

Deane

Dan

Yes, this is one of the secrets of the vArranger...

It is SIMPLE and EFFECTIVE.

Note : When you go on the 2nd pages of the styles groups (>> button) you will see the PSR-S770 styles, who are also pretty good, maybe better than the Tyros 1?

Dan

Deane

Dan,
The folder you mentioned was empty.
Deane

Dan

Look at the download section of the forum, they are there

Deane

Hi Dan,
Found them.  By the way I once owned a Yamaha PSR3000 and have several hundred songs setup with styles from the PSR3000.  Guess what?  Nearly all of them play really well and need very little adjusting.  Kind of neat.  If you can use the styles I'll email them to you.

Deane

Lionel

Hi Deane,

It sounds like you play oldies like I do, and for the oldies,

That is how I like playing the old songs from the 20's to say 60's
and My wife and myself play too oldies in retirement villages.

Also reading your posts I note you talk about issues with A800 keyboard, I happen to have a PCR800 Edirol(Roland) and
it works well with vArranger and have all buttons/knobs assigned to vArranger.

I have spent a lot  of time in vArranger and use it all the time. It does a great job. Quick and easy.

Regards
Lionel

jan1kow

Deane,
I also play for retirement age group in UK.
Can you send me some styles for quicksteps like When you are smiling etc. 
I have some set up but Im not happy that they are the best for quicksteps.
I dont have good imagination finding suitable styles .
Also any foxtrots.
I can send you some back in return that I have found suitable also.
My email address to send to is
jankow@live.com
jon

Deane

Jon,
I just tried to email you many of my gig setup styles from the Yamaha PSR3000. The email was rejected. 
Do you have another email address?

Deane