Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

vArranger and VSTi's

Started by sweetbb, October 07, 2018, 01:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweetbb

I managed to get some sound using the following combination:
vArranger2 + B4II.

I want to use a hardware momentary normally open switch, or a toggle switch, to switch the Leslie between stop and run, as well as the speed between slow and fast.  I am not getting anywhere with it.  I cannot use B4II "Learn" function, as nothing happens.  I can also not use the vArranger "Learn" function, because nothing happens.

Also, is there another drawbar type vsti with "learn" capability, that only has 1 keyboard, I don't need B4II for this, as it is an overkill.

Please give me some advice.

I am in the end stages of building my vArranger setup.  It is a 40 year old Yamaha E5 console organ, with 3'rd added manual, and 25 pedals.  I have installed a lot of new 'pistons' between the original two manuals, and they work very well with vArranger.  They are all 'momentary normally open' switches.  There are also a lot of original toggle switches in this organ, that I have wired up, and use in other programs. Since using this converted organ console, it has really brought vArranger experience to life for me.

Brian.

sweetbb

sweetbb

I tried today.  I cannot get it to work.

I use a midi encoder with 6 channels.  Channel 1 is for 64 analogue rotary encoders.  Channel 2 to 6 is for 64 digital inputs each, giving a total of 320 inputs.  This midi encoder is called a "console encoder", as it has enough resources to encoder a 5 manual + pedal organ console.  I am using it in my 3 manual + pedal encoder.  So with vArranger I have set it up to work as follows: Channel 2 is for pedals, channel 3 is for lower manual, and channel 4 is for upper manual.  It works well.  I can get B4II to play inside of vArranger.  I have followed the instruction as I understand it, for the vsti control.  But I cannot get it to work.  I want to be able to press a physical switch to control some of the parameters in B4II, like "Rotor On" and "Rotor Speed".  I am battling with the "Learn" function.

Dan

At what step do you have problem?
Follow the explain list again one after one and tell me

sweetbb

I open, and get B4II on the screen.  Then I hit the "+", and it brings up the dialogue box where there is a list of controlers.  Then I select the "Learn VST controler", and then in the VST window, I move the "Rotary On" switch.  I can see it changes the value in the "Learn" dialogue box.  Then I press the physical button on my console.  I can see vArranger can see I have pressed the button, as there is a quick flash on the midi monitor midi plug number one in vArranger, just above "L".  But nothing I do will make B4II respond to the physical button press.

Dan

Did you go on OPTIONS / CONTROLLERS and assigned your midi button to the VSTCONTROLLER#1 ? (for example)

sweetbb

Yes.  I am trying only 2 controllers to start with, until I understand what to do.  I assign the value of "1" to the "Rotor Run" and 2 to "Rotor Speed".  I have tried a million times. Every time I start vArranger with new hope, that perhaps I will get it working this time.  But no luck so far.  And vArranger does not seem to remember it anyway, because when I restart, I have to do everything over anyway.

Dan

Can you post your vArranger2.ini file ?

sweetbb

Here is my vArranger2.ini file...

Dan

I see that you did not assigned your midi control to VST CONTROLLER  (item 228 to 291)
Go on OPTIONS / CONTROLLERS
Select the line 228, and move your midi control

sweetbb

Thank you Dan. That has solved the problem.  For some reason, I thought, it was automatically detected.  Another mistake I made was to leave the "Learn" button switched on, and then it lost the information as well.  As soon as I realized I had to 'switch off' the "Learn" button, those two midi controllers worked.  But not perfectly yet.  I have quite a few toggle switches on my console as well, and would want to use them, for example, if the switch is in one position, the Rotator must be on Slow, and in the other position, it must be on Fast... Can I change the "Midi Data Type" which is "Note On" by default, so something else, to allow this, and what should I change it to?

Dan

In the VST options window, when you select one parameter, you can check the box  IS SWITCH
This way, the parameter should toggle between ON and OFF

sweetbb

I will check.  If it is a toggle switch, I must select "Is Switch", and if it is a normally open momentary switch, I must uncheck "Is Switch"?

Dan

VST parameters are all continuous parameters that have to be changed with a slider
When you tell to vArranger that the current parameter is a switch, then it will go from min value to max value, and not values in between
Try it and see if that helps

sweetbb

Dan, it only woprks well if I use pushbuttons on my console.  If I use toggle switches, it does work but not very well.  does it mean I cannot use my toggle switches with vArranger2?

Dan

sweetbb

Using the toggle switches is not stable.  One has to repeatedly toggle them tfor the same function, not one way for on and the other way of off. 

Dan

Yes, the switch need to always send the same message when pressed. Exp note on.
When released it may send note off. This is not a problem

sweetbb

Dan, I also use other software, like Hauptwerk Advanced Edition, as well as the free GrandOrgue software. In GrandOrgue, we can choose what type of event trigers something.  We can use momentary switches as well as toggle switches with great sucess.  Look at the choices that have been implemented in GrandOrgue as an example where we can assign an on / off function to a toggle switch.  See the attached screenshot, noting all the choies in "Event" dropdown menu. This is where one can choose the correct setting for either a momentary switch, or a toggle switch.  Can you do something simmilar in vArranger?

sweetbb

And here are examples of toggle switches that I would like to use.  These switches have two positions, on or off. There are a few more toggle switches I want to use.  I also have a toggle switch that looks much like a traditional Leslie switch, with 3 positions - slow, stop, and fast.  Is it possible to make this happen reliably?

Dan

If your switch are sending CC Value >0 when ON and Value 0 when OFF then it should work with VST parameters ' as switch '
Did you try to define some VST parameters as switch like mentioned ?

sweetbb

Yes, I did Dan.  I'm not satisfied with using toggle switches in vArranger.  I will have to make another plan, because using them is simply too unreliable and unpredictable.  My interface does send exactly those messages as you indicated.

Dan

Post the VST Options screenshot, so I can see you have well set your IS SWITCH box

sweetbb

Dan, my new SSD crashed this morning. I will post as soon as it is set up again.

sweetbb

ok.  I have the organ playing again. Got a new SSD and had to re-install everything.  Will make daily backups from now on. I don't have a synthesizer.  I use an organ console that I midified myself, using a midi encoder from Midi Boutique.  It has 5 channels that can each send note on and note off messages for 64 contact, giving a total of 320 contacts.

Dan

So your buttons are sending NOTE ON in one position, and NOTE OFF in the other position?
This may be a problem, because actually vArranger ignore the NOTE OFF message for some reasons.
Do you have an editor for the Midi Boutique module, to change the contact switch to send a MIDI CC value 0 / 127 , and not NOTE ON / NOTE OFF ?
https://www.midiboutique.com/downloads?dtags%5B0%5D=6

sweetbb

No, this interface cannot be edited that way, unfortunately.

If vArranger could only have responded to note off messages as well, like the other virtual organ software GrandOrgue does.......

Dan

What is the model of Midi Boutique?

sweetbb

I am using the midi boutque 320x64 console encoder.  I've already spoken to Jordan Petkov.  In order to change the messages in the midi encoder, I will have to buy a new chip from Midi Boutique, and I am not willing to do that.  It will limit the functionality of the encoder. I will rather adapt software on the computer, like in the case of the virtual pipe organ software called GrandOrgue.

Jamkey

Hello,

@ sweetbb :
I see that you are using B4 II as VSTinstrument.
Please can you tell me how to activate the B4 II on a 64-bit Windows?
I try several times to activate on my Windows 10, and the NI Service Center says "B4 II Activated"
But every time  the B4 II starts in Demo-mode. Very frustrating, as NI don't gives support anymore for this problem.

Thanks !!

sweetbb

It only runs demo mode.  I don't have a full version of B4II, only a demo version.

Jamkey

Okay, thanks for answer !
Best Regards !!

stewbow

JBridge,  if i'm not mistaken converts 32 bit DLL's to 64bit
It's been a while but I've got the B4II aswell as all of the old Aturia Moogs, Jupiters and Prophets working on my 64 bit system

Stuart

sweetbb

Thank you Stewbow for your answer.  You are right, I also use jBridge to wrap the the 32 bit VSTI's sothey can be usable in 64 bit hosts.

Brian.