News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Varranger always eaten by Norton Antivirus

Started by edelklang-lang, July 10, 2018, 07:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edelklang-lang

Hello Dan,

Can you please email me the newest version of Varranger again? I don´t know how, but Norton has eaten my Varranger and then when I try to reinstall it is somehow a corruupted programme file. I then also get a problem with .net framework of Microsoft. What can this mean?

Thanx a lot in advance,
Cristian

Dan

ok Just sent it again
Try to add the vArranger program into the exclusion zone of the antivirus

edelklang-lang

edelklang-lang

Hello,

I always receive this
Informationen über das Aufrufen von JIT-Debuggen
anstelle dieses Dialogfelds finden Sie am Ende dieser Meldung.

************** Ausnahmetext **************
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): Die angegebene ausführbare Datei ist keine gültige Anwendung für diese Betriebssystemplattform.

Dan

Probably eaten again by Norton ?
Try disabling Norton for few minutes and downloading again

zionip

Norton Antivirus is too sensitive to 'unknown' programs and interferes too much on my computers.  I actually uninstalled it from all of my computers. 

For Windows desktops/laptops, I found that Microsoft Defender (free) is quite dependable and it does not interfere with the running of vArranger and other programs.

Thanks,
Paul

edelklang-lang

Hello Dan,

It still won´t work. It´s weird, I haven´t used the program for the last six months, I´ve only played with a full band recently, now I receive the same problem with microsoft no matter if antivirus is on or not. I also changed from Norton to Avast antivirus, and still the same problem.

Dan

I can take a look at your computer if you send me your TeamViewer ID/pwd in a private message

Dan

I have connected on your computer and it is working now.
Avast was the problem, but I have added exclusions in 2 places in Avast settings
It should be ok now

sweetbb

I have done a clean install, on a new computer - the computer built into my new organ console.  It keeps on complaining about vArranger being a dangerous virus.  I only use the standard Microsoft virus stuff that comes with Windows 10.

sweetbb

And now it has removed my vArranger from the computer.

olivier71500

Hi SweetBB

If I understand you have "Windows defender" running on your computer (not Norton / Karspersky / Avg or other Tools ?)

Did you try Something like this :
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-defender-settings-windows-10

or maybe
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5924-add-remove-windows-defender-exclusions-windows-10-a.html
( but don't do ANYTHING in registry if you don't know what you do . Otherwise your computer will not work any more )

About older windows but can still be helpful :
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-security/how-do-you-add-a-program-to-allowed-items-in/7f5c2ded-394a-40f4-bbe7-762fdd716a2f

Olivier

sweetbb

Hi Oliver,

Thank you, I put vArranger back on my computer. I don't understand why all the antivirus software says it is a virus - a trojan. I am worried about that. I have now managed to put it in the 'allowed' list, so Windows defender will no longer take it off my machine, it will ignore it during scans.

Brian.

olivier71500

"I don't understand why all the antivirus software says it is a virus" :
- VA2 want to be the boss on computer
- it disables user actions / get exclusive acces to keyboards ....
=> Virus are doing the same thing . So your antivirus must decide that such a behaviour is too  dangerous and it's true.

So you must tell it that you know varranger program and it's friendly (I hope so  ::))

Olivier

PS : And sometimes antivirus are simply too strict : "Norton has detected a virus on your computer : Norton.exe"  ;D ;D ;D

sweetbb

I Olivier.

Thank you, I've done that.  I hope it stays that way.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Brian.

anazariz

All of a sudden my VArranger2.exe version 1.18.06 was removed from my computer. Windows 10 thinks it carries the trojan: win32/Bitrep.A, which is nasty. Somehow windows didn't detect this before but it's detecting it now and it immediately removes the file wherever it is. I cannot get Windows to ignore the file even when I try to extend Microsoft's local virus database (force it to ignore the file). This happened in the middle of a band practice and created major problems for me. Can anyone help?

Dan, one way to fix this problem (once and for all) is for you to send a sample file to Microsoft and have them include it in their database. It wouldn't take long but it would save folks a lot of headache.

Thanks,
Ash

anazariz

Thank you olivier71500. I tried it. I literally had to turn off my antivirus to be able to write the file that Dan had sent me to a USB drive (again). Of course I won't be able to leave my antivirus off indefinitely. I think the new version of the program contains a bit pattern that Microsoft antivirus mistakes as the bit pattern of the virus I mentioned. Maybe I'm missing something here, but if this is happening often, I think Dan sending the bit pattern (a sample of the program) to Microsoft could resolve the issue. I doubt if Microsoft would sell the code! :)

Dan

I already submitted vArranger to microsoft, and after 10 days, they said it is ok.
Unfortunately, we can see that the problem remains, and can't submit every new version of vArranger to all the antivirus in the market
I will have to find another solution.... or not ask the admin rights for vArranger
But I did this because some VST where crashing vArranger without admin rights

Franziska

I am also struggling with my Antivirus software to accept varranger.exe as a "friendly" program.
Avira antivirus handles varranger.exe as dangerous and does not allow to execute it (the info says that it contains a pattern of "BSD/bifrose.svreo").  :-\
I already put varranger.exe to the exception list of the antivirus software, and then could execute it once.
But a day later - tataa - varranger.exe was again handled as dangerous by Avira antivirus.
At this point I am not sure how to get Varranger running without deactivating or changing my antivirus software, what I definitely wouldn't do. Any ideas to handle this?

Dan

You can try to send the program to Avira here : https://analysis.avira.com/submit  and select FALSE POSITIVE option
They will put it on their whitelist in the next virus definition update

BjayG

Just for information. 

After months of quite happily scanning my computer - 'Webroot Secure Anywhere' too has decided that my current edition (and indeed all older archived copies) of vArranger are dangerous.   I have told it to accept these as OK and its now quite happy.     

But something needs to be done to resolve this, as this is a recurrig theme from all sorts of anti-virus vendors - and it cannot just be a matter of submitting it to anti-virus vendors for authenticating.   

I don't have this problem with any other purchased software (and I have  a lot) - so there must be something very specific about vArranger that is causing this and it needs dealing with.

Barry

Dan

Yes. I think I will try to publish any new versions to Windows Defender, so I hope a part of vArranger users that use the integrated Windows antivirus will not be bothered

Then try to find another way to protect the program... But if antivirus can read the file easily.... hackers will do it too :)