News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Styles that play nice with VA

Started by bluebeat, May 17, 2018, 08:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebeat

Hi fellows.
Want to ask a question and share experience. There are great thousands of styles available. Some are very nice, some just rubbish. But what is interesting is that usually sets come from a collections and most often, converted collection. From my experience, there are several sets that sound good with only minor tweaking, right away.
Styles for Yamaha s970, styles for Roland BK7/9 module and styles for Tyros... are among the best and also, surprisingly Agaton's style set is also well tuned for VA.
There are a few others, but in my opinion they would require much more tweaking to sound usable. 
I would love to hear how Genos styles would sound on VA, but they are not tuned well as of now.
Can somebody share their findings?
Thanks.

Lylo

Hello bluebeat, the only thing I can say is for me the Ketron styles are better for vArranger. Before vArranger I had a Midjay and if I like some Yamaha styles I prefer Ketron for my music. I think it's an affair of taste.

bluebeat

Lylo, can you please be more specific. I tried some Ketron sets... Two of the better ones was of Midjay and X1, that played well, but other than that... Seems most of available "sets" are not consistent, have a lot of randomly converted things...
Can you suggest a consistent set or collection similar to the two mentioned above that would sound good overall?
Thank you!

v.muller

Hi

I'm a teacher on a music school.
I teach in more places - on several types of Yamaha keyboards.
PSR-S650, PSR-S550, PSR-S670.

At home I have MM6.
But thanks to vArranger I'm able to play with the same styles that I have at school,
so I can, for example, find a appropriate style for a song what I will play with my students at school.

The result is not exactly the same, but I hope Dan will still continue with the developement
and onetime the vArranger will be better then these keyboards.

bluebeat

v.muller,
Yes, I know that Varranger will play most Yamaha, Roland, Ketron etc....
It is just some style collections / sets seemed to be tuned much better with vArranger than most...

Long story:
Since it is not possible for Varranger to "remix" styles. Replace parts of one style with parts of another style, I identified 2 ways how to make styles sound more dynamic, fuller and interesting: 1) Revoice and layer existing tracks with VSTs etc.  2)Mute unwanted tracks and replace them with something else in separate DAW software.
The second part is a bit tricky given dynamics of core style, latency and all other fun things related to composition.

The short story would be good to identify certain style sets that will be well balanced and mapped nicely without major surgical procedures.