News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

General MIDI 2 [GM2]

Started by tthoms, May 14, 2018, 08:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tthoms

Hallo,
im vArranger gibt es ja die Möglichkeit beim midi out GM2 anzuwählen. Der GM2-Standard hat für jeden patch 3 bänke mit den sounds belegt. (Quelle Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI_Level_2 ). Bei er Verwendung der sf2 soundbänke hat Dan mir mehrmals bestätigt den Mode GM2 zu verwenden. Das funktioniert so auch. Leider kann ich aber keine Verbindung von den geladenen sf2 Bänken  (SD2 Bank A-V1.vsmpl bis SD2 Bank C-V1.vsmpl) zu den in GM2 definierten instrumenten finden. Für GM2 sind z. Bsp für Patch1 folgene Pianos definiert: Accoustic Grand Piano (Bank 0), Wide Acoustic Grand (Bank1), Dark Acoustic Grand (Bank2). Ich finde aber in der Instrumentenliste des vA2 die beiden letztgennanten Pianos nicht. Auch bei den übrigen Patches finde ich die in GM2 definierten Instrumente nicht in der vA2 Voiceliste.
Ist es überhaupt möglich ein GM2 kompatibles Soundmodule am midi out 1 des vA2 mit der GM2 Einstellung zu betreiben?  Hat das schon jemand probiert?
Danke für Euren Input.
Gruss
Thom

Dan

vArranger should load and display all your SF2 sounds in GM2 mode
So something strange to understand...

tthoms

Hi Dan,
thank you for the answer. could you explain me where the expanded GM2 sounds will be displayed? I could not find the GM2 sounds in the voice bar on the right site and have never seen a expanded GM2 instrument in the tracks 1 to 8. I have loaded only your SD2 Banks and there I can't find the GM2 voices, for example the wide acoustic grand (bank1) in the PIANO-Group. Where is GM2 Bank1 and GM Bank2 stored?
So what I only would know is, if it is possible to use a GM2 compatible soundmodule instead of the SD1000 or the sf2 by setting the GM2 modifier in the midi out 1. The reason is the SD1000 that will not work properly due to polyphony problems as mentioned earlier, so I have to find a better one (V3-Sonority?),  perhaps a GM2 compatible one, so I need no additional interface in vA2? 
Thom

Dan

If you use SF2, then vArranger will show all your SF2 presets.
To use other sound modules, you need the INS file

tthoms

Hi Dan,
yes all the names of the sf2 sound fonts of the instruments will be shown in the voicelist and in the track bar of varranger,  but unfortunatly with the .ins file the names of the instruments will not be shown in the trackbar. So what I've done is: I made "dummy sf2's" (without any samples)  with the same name and bank information of the instruments as in the external soundmodule (not sf2). Then the instruments will be shown in the voicebank and the tracks with the same name and bank informations as in the external soundmodule. I will no longer use .ins files.
Thom