News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Endless midi controller

Started by sweetbb, February 23, 2018, 07:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweetbb

Has anybody though of building an endless midi controller from components?  I don't have any such a device, but would like to have a coulpe of them?

Dan

Actually only the TEMPO has an option for endless encoder in the CONTROLLERS screen.
vArranger recognize the Novation SLMKII and the AKAI APC, etc...  and communicate well with their endless encoders that can be used for any vArranger function

sweetbb

Thank you Dan, but I don't want to use commercial control surface.  I want to use my home-brew control surface.   ;D

momboc

Dan

Given that standalone MIDI rotary encoders are rare;

Could you update the Controllers (add another one) so that Tempo can be controlled by a standard potentiometer

Dan

This is not possible as standard pot is sending a cc value of 0 to 127. How to convert this to tempo values?

momboc

Make it a fixed relationship.

I would make each increase in CC value equal an increment of two beats

The pot/fader would go from zero to 127 and the tempo would track this by going from 2 beats per  minute to 256 beats per minute

Mid range for the pot would then be about 120 beats per minute

Dan

I have tried this and it was really not usable to change the tempo with an standard knob. You move a bit, and it change tempo a lot.
Also, if you change the style, the knob is not at the right position to change it

v.muller