News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Question about vArranger and Korg styles

Started by twinmoons, February 20, 2018, 06:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twinmoons

Hi there,

I currently have a Korg M3, and pretty powerful computer with lots of VST synths. I like to play live Afghani music, and the Korg M3, not being an arranger, pretty much sucks for this. Also, all the Afghani styles available are made for the Korg PA series or Yamaha arranger keyboards. So doing some research, I ran into vArranger, and here I am!

I am close to clicking that "buy now" button, but I just really need to know if vArranger can use Korg PA series styles and how does that work exactly? Thanks!

Dan

Hello,

Yes you can play your Afghani Korg styles on vArranger, but probably your styles are using custom sounds and drumkits that are not GM, so they will not sound correct.
So, you also need think about the sound source to go with the styles.
You can for exemple convert those samples to SF2 format for the vArranger synth, or use another synth if you already have the corresponding sounds available

twinmoons

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not familiar with the style file formats - do the style files include the samples? Most of the afghani music uses Tabla percussion sounds, which is the main thing I'm interested in.

Dan

No. Styles files are kind of midifiles, but how they will sound, will depend on the synth that play them.
Probably, you need to find the tablas samples to go with the styles.

twinmoons

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know.