News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Drawbars

Started by sweetbb, February 11, 2018, 05:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweetbb

HI,
It is possible to use the drawbars in VA2, even if I don't own a hardware module?

Can the drawbars in VA2 perhaps control a vsti that is also running on the same computer? If so, can it also switch the simulated Leslie on and off from inside VA2?

Dan

It is possible to control VSTi Drawbars with MIDI Controllers with vArranger

https://www.varranger.com/vforum/index.php?topic=1760.0

sweetbb

Thank you Dan.

So this means, I can run vArranger2, and have a vsti running in background.  I'm busy modifying my Yamaha console, and will be adding my unused Hammond drawbar set, connected to my midi encoder.  It wil be really wonderful to be able to play using draw-bars (my favourite type of organ sound for modern music).

My plan is to use my complete set from my old Hammond E100 organ, so it's 9 for upper, 9 for lower, and 2 for pedal.  That is sufficient for me.

Brian.

Dan

Yes. Just tell me th VST that you will use.
The VSTi need to be loaded in vArranger.
Not sure if your mini Panda computer an handle it

sweetbb

My preference would be to use VB3, but I will choose between VB3 or Native Instruments B4 II, and take the one that works the best.  Or I will search for one, that only gives draw-bars for the upper manual, if one exists.  Both VB3 and NI B4 II can 'learn' from vArranger. I will need to find a single manual alternative that can also 'learn' from vArranger2. I can currently run VB3 or NI B4 II alone on my LattePanda, with really excellent quality, no latency, and no sound breakup.

I will test tomorrow to see if I can connect vArranger2 and VB3 or NI B4 II.

Dan

Yes VB3 and B4II can be controlled by vArranger MIDI controllers

sweetbb

OK.  I've done some testing.  VB3 and B4II work fine, untill I switch on the Leslie simulation - then the sound breaks up badly.  So that is not going to work.  Well, I will just add some preset's that I have, for some of my favourite drawbar combinations.  That will do for now.

Dan

Try WASAPI  ASIO4ALL  try your USB audio, or the standard audio from sound card.
Some works better than other

sweetbb

Thank you.  I will try.

Dan

There is too a hidden possibility of adding a bit more latency to try if this helps

sweetbb

I will try that Dan.  Just being able to run vArranger on the LattePanda is wonderful in it's own right.  I am happy that it runs so well, on such minimal hardware. There is a drawbar simulator that runs on the Raspberry Pi, that I will investigate.  If it can be controlled via midi messages, I could build a Raspberry Pi into my console as well, as it is even smaller in size compared to the LattePanda.  I can then connect vArranger 2 using the network - IP midi -> Raspberry Pi.  I've sent midi messages (note on and off, and CC's, over Wifi, from one Raspberry Pi, to another one, some distance away - and it works perfectly.  I can however put a small network switch inside the console if this works, then there will be no chance of lost messages.

Even the Allen Organ company uses LAN connections between it's devices, to send control messages from the console.

I will post my result here, one I lower increase the latency somewhat.

sweetbb

I've increased the latency slightly, and have tried pushing VB3 to it's limits, and there is no longer any sound breakup, even when I continually switch the Leslie simulator on and off, while playing fast, full chords on both manuals, as well as playing the pedalboard.

Next I need to setup boty vA2 and the vsti at the same time.

Will try to figure that out next.

But even if I cannot get the drawbars working, it is still a bonus.  That is all I wanted in the first place, from the LattePanda computer platform.

sweetbb

It's all starting to come back to me now.  I think I had to buy jBridge or something like that, because I'm running Windows 64 Bit, but the vsti's are only 32 bit.  Cant remember exactly for sure.

Dan

If you only have 4GB of RAM, it is better to install the 32 bit version of the vArrangerSynth and use your 32 bit plugins directly

sweetbb

I'll do that Dan, but for now, of used jBridge to wrap them as 64 bit, just to see if I can get something going again.  I've got the VB3 loaded into vArranger, I've configured the channels to be the same as vArranger (for the manuals and the pedals, but I'm not getting sound from VB3.  I am missing something.

Dan

You need to change the midi channel input in VB3 to accept notes on midi channel 13

sweetbb

It looks at though I will not need to build a Raspberry Pi into my console.

This morning, I got both vArranger2 and one vsti called VB3 working, on the LattePanda computer.

I'm really impressed now.

Now, that the software side is sorted out, I need to start some woodwork on my console.  It's going to have the 7 inch touch screen centre above the original upper manual.  I'll be installing a full set of physical draw-bars, that I hope can work, so I don't have to fiddle on the screen too much.  I might be re-installing my Yamaha PSR 295 above the 2'nd manual, and install the draw-bars and screen above that as well, but that is only a very slight possibility.  I'll be replacing the music stand with a 23 inch Aces touch screen as well, in order to display my sheet music.  The screen can of course double up as a music rest, in case I have to place a music book on it.  But I intend scanning what remains of my physical music collection, and putting it in that 'fake book' pdf format, it is just so convenient and lightweight.

I am really impressed all over again, with vArranger and it's abilities.  This is now becoming my dream organ instrument.  For years I've been looking at the Wersi range of organs - but sadly, thy are not available in South Africa. And after my Hammond E100 broke down, and I was unable to fix it, I was really disappointed. There are some really nice 2'nd hand B3's and many others, with many models of Leslies, available in South Africa, but they are too expensive for me.  I now have something extraordinary, for a fraction of the cost of a Wersi or the likes.

There is the possibility with the LattePanda with Windows 10 Enterprise (this is the one I have) that you can set it up, after everything is working just the way you want it too, you 'lock' the boot media, and nothing can change it, unless you 'unlock' it again.  This way, you can simply turn the power on and off at will, with no possibility of corrupting the boot media.  this is going to ideal for an organ, where we are all used to just turning it on, play, and turn it off straight away...

I will keep you posted on the progress............

Thank you Dan for you help, and for a wonderful software....................

sweetbb

Instead of having just a nice arranger keyboard, it like having an arranger organ.

Dan

Thank you !
When all is ready, we want a video :)

sweetbb

I've ordered enough 40mm travel faders, so I should be able to connect my drawbars when they arrive.

sweetbb

Today, I received my 40mm travel faders.  I will connect them to the Hammond drawbars, and now my Hammond drawbars can have a 2'nd life, inside my Yamaha organ console.  I will try to re-use most buttons of the Yamaha Electone organ.

sweetbb

I will of course, install all 3 sets of drawbars. for the Uppeer manual, Lower manual, and Pedal.