News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Win 10 tablet

Started by hayseed, January 08, 2018, 01:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hayseed

Has anyone had anything to do with this win 10 tablet running  varranger.    or suggestions on an inexpensive tablet that works well with varranger.

I should also mention it will not be doing a lot of arranger functions but more as the sound selector and interface for the SD1000

https://www.amazon.ca/Visual-Land-9-8-9-Inch-QuadCore-Bluetooth/dp/B0176DXU78/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1515372865&sr=1-14&keywords=Visual+Land++premier+32+gb#customerReviews

Thanks
Hayseed

Dan

Yes. I have bought 2 tablets from here, and they are great for changing sounds for the SD1000
https://us.gearbest.com/tablet-pcs-c_11294/

bluebeat

I would suggest spending a little bit more and getting a used Surface PRO (2 or 3 model) with i5/i7
Then you can use it for much (MUCH) more than just a controller.

On the cheaper side I would go with Dell Venue 8 Pro 5000 (it is windows 8, but should upgrade to 10 without a problem.... my did) You need OTG cable, which is $5 for USB licenser to work with Venue pro... but computer is only about $80, I tested Varranger on it, it works fine.

Dan

Be careful, you need a computer that allows to plug USB devices like a USB Keyboard + the Power supply !
The small 8 inches are often limited to use the power supply OR the USB device because of only one Micro USB connector

bluebeat

Something like this solves that problem (of same port charging/USB) easily. There are many different ones out there:

https://www.ebay.com/i/231303064016?chn=ps

Dan

not compatible with all devices.... that's why better to put a little bit more and have a separate USB from Power

bluebeat

Of course better invest in Surface....or Yoga (convertible) i5/ i7 Many used at great prices out there.

But on cheap side, Dell Venue.... Because if I understand, you want as surface controller.... Dell (in cheaper tablet selection) would have better glass for "touch" than many others.
The link I provided, should work with dell tablets. I am not sure of "average" reviews. My Dell tablet survived many trips, stayed in hot and freezing car etc. Still works fine.

Dan got me hooked on Varranger and I tried bunch of things. I ended up with refurbished Surface PRO 3 / i7.  Never looked back. It is super fast, colors are bright, touch is responsive. Portable.  I take it on trips occasionally. Only downside for me is a single USB port, but there is always a small hub in drawer. 

lakere

I have a Surface Pro.  It runs extremely smooth.    In fact, I use it as my desktop PC connected to a 28 inch monitor.  I have always two Korg Micro Keys connected to it besides tons of external hardware and a USB MIDI foot switch for sustain or whatever cc messages I assign to it.    Having said that,   Hayseed seems to be looking for a very inexpensive tablet because he uses the SD1000.   It is so nice that vArranger allows users to have so many various options.    I have noticed that the last few versions of vArranger sound better than before.     Maybe Dan updated the sounds and didn't tell us about it.   Anyway, if a person might use once in a while the built-sounds and a VST plugin or two for a solo instrument, he might want to spend a little more for room to grow.   Music or not, I will stay away the Atom chips unless they got a lot more powerful theses days. 

hayseed

Dan

Old Atoms where very bad, but new Atom is enough for midi only use
For Soft Synth, it may work, but probably not enough

bluebeat

I change my verdict:)

I think one of the best mobile solutions for VA is Lenovo thinkpad Yoga 12 (S1).
My friend had it, I tried it with Varranger and decided to switch from Surface tablet.
You can get a used Yoga i5 / 8gb for about $325 or i7 for $390

Positive points over many Win tablets:

1)almost full featured laptop (keyboard /trackpad)
2)Converts into nice 12.5 screen tablet
3)Anti glare touch screen!!! (I hate extra glossy screens)
4) 2 full size USB ports.
5) Keyboard can be used as a stand (designed such way)
6) Included stylus.
7)Serviceable. you can NOT change Ram, but you can replace Screen, battery, hard drive, wireless card. Thinkpads are popular, so the parts are abundant.

I am very happy that I switched. In attachment couple of photos.

Dan

lakere

Quote from: bluebeat on January 20, 2018, 08:32:49 PM
I change my verdict:)

I think one of the best mobile solutions for VA is Lenovo thinkpad Yoga 12 (S1).
My friend had it, I tried it with Varranger and decided to switch from Surface tablet.
You can get a used Yoga i5 / 8gb for about $325 or i7 for $390

Positive points over many Win tablets:

1)almost full featured laptop (keyboard /trackpad)
2)Converts into nice 12.5 screen tablet
3)Anti glare touch screen!!! (I hate extra glossy screens)
4) 2 full size USB ports.
5) Keyboard can be used as a stand (designed such way)
6) Included stylus.
7)Serviceable. you can NOT change Ram, but you can replace Screen, battery, hard drive, wireless card. Thinkpads are popular, so the parts are abundant.

I am very happy that I switched. In attachment couple of photos.
Just a little over $300 for the hardware with touch screen and vArragner the most flexible arranger out there.  Sounds like a winning combination.   

hayseed

Thanks everyone for the input   I'm anxious to get home from holidays and try the cheap visualab win 10 tablet
As I said I'm only going to use it as a controller to make the sd1000 into a dedicated keyboard and not as a arranger   But if it works as an arranger  with varranger.  Bonus.