News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Sound engine...

Started by bluebeat, May 15, 2017, 11:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebeat

Hi.
Since 2015 there was much talk about TA Sound engine... Is it available or it is still "work in progress"?
Would like to know.

Thank you.

agaton

fazfaz

Can we know a little more about  :P

bluebeat

hernandez

Oui, moi aussi, s'il vous plaît.---------------------

bluebeat

Agaton, I would like to know the following. I assume, gathering from posts since 2015,  that TA sound engine is SF2 bank in GM that is tuned to work with vArranger. Is this correct?

How does it sound compared to Ketron SD2? Better, more realistic or about same? You had a conversation with a guy here some time ago, who has made SD2 sf2 bank, which sounds very good, nearly identical compared to actual hardware unit.

Let me know. Oh yes, where it is possible to hear it and what is the cost?

Thank you.

haweneu

Hi,
you must compare the sound with the SD1000! This is much better than the SD2! I owned both and could compare the  sound! I only work now with SD1000.

bluebeat

Ok... sounds interesting... but how much is it and where tu buy?

haweneu

Hi,
i only know distributors in germany.
Musicstore Price 377€.

bluebeat

haweneu,  I am just guessing here, but I believe you are talking about a physical SD1000 unit....

I want to know about the TA sound engine, that was so much talk about in this forum. How and what is compared to in terms of physical hardware.
And also the cost of it. So far agaton is keeping it a mystery.

Hope to hear from him, and I believe others too.

lakere

I am one of those who have been following it for the last few years, but couldn't find much info on it at all.   

haweneu

Hi,
yes, i talked about the Ketron SD1000 Hardware Soundmodul!
But if you compare TA Soundengine to Ketron SD2 Soundfont, i think this is the wrong compare!
Better is to compare TA Soundengine with VA2 Soundfonts (ask Dan for the price).

Carlo

Hello Agaton, hello Dan,

Is this TA Soundengine available for vArranger2 ?

Best Regards,
Carlo

lakere

Quote from: haweneu on May 18, 2017, 05:24:16 PM
Hi,
yes, i talked about the Ketron SD1000 Hardware Soundmodul!
But if you compare TA Soundengine to Ketron SD2 Soundfont, i think this is the wrong compare!
Better is to compare TA Soundengine with VA2 Soundfonts (ask Dan for the price).
I am trying to understand what you are saying here; why is it wrong to compare TA Sound Engine with the SD2 sf2?  Are you saying that the SD2 soundfont is no good in comparison with TA Sound Engine?   

fazfaz

Has Agaton become mute or does he deliberately endure the suspense?  :(

agaton

Hahahaha... no, no, I am here !!!

haweneu

Hi,
a soundfont  never can be better than the sampled Hardware (here Ketron SD2).
In the past agaton published some very good soundexamples.
So i think (but dont know!!!) TA Soundengine must be better than the SD2 Soundfont. And SD2 Soundfont has no drawbars integrated!

Carlo

Hello Agaton, hello Dan,

Is this TA Soundengine available for vArranger2 ?

Best Regards,
Carlo

agaton

Yes, it is made only for vArranger².

Carlo

Hello Agaton, hello Dan,

How can i obtain the TA-soundbank(s) ?

Can You explane how it works to use Soundbanks ?
Solved : I found the instructions here : http://www.varranger.com/wiki/index.php/SF2

Thanks in advance,

Carlo

Phil

Hi Carlo,

Google 'Transaudio Agaton'. You will see that Mr. Agaton has a dedicated forum. I do not know him personally, but I think he is a sound engineer (a very gifted one I believe) with many projects and ideas: one of his earlier ones was the TA soundengine that can be delivered by post on a small (size of creditcard) SSD drive with a special Windows version (optimised by Agaton to reduce latency without crackles) and the TA soundengine + vArranger: a few years ago he quoted me a price of 900 euro.

Please be informed that playing sounds exclusively on a computer in a live setting without crackles on high quality is a very difficult matter: simply owning a fast multicore Intel processor with much memory (I have 24 Gb) will just not do. I have spent many hours trying to optimize my computer, only with disappointing results (and I have followed the online solutions to optimise windows for audio: my Windows 7 starts up in about 20 seconds with normal hard drive – I am not sure if I want to invest into an SSD only to find out the crackles still have not gone). This makes me believe you realy do need to be a sound engineer or to contact one to design a computer setup that will work for you. I m not sure that just a TA soundengine on a SSD will produce the results you desire, maybe it will for you (contact mr. Agaton on his forum, usually he answers very fast) but don't count on it.

The latest creation to be of mr. Agaton is called TransAudio 'Avenger':  the quoted latency without crackles is far less than 1 ms. The demos in my opinion are supurb, in which creativity is stimulated: every sound can be choosen in a very intuitive way on the fly (like an organist would do). The  TA 'Avenger' not only containes the sounds and SSD but also several computers to process the sounds: these computers are tested to ensure that they can run three days non-stop in a row without crashing. No prices are released as of yet, but in the past mr. Agaton has only charged very little above the actual hard- and software costs for his product. In my opinion, if you do go for the complete computer option, it is wiser to go for the 'Avenger' to avoid  disappointments.  In the very least you will save yourselves weeks of aggravation in optimizing your audio computer. Also remember these are high end solutions (latest processors, fast memory, fast harddrives: SSD, T2, professional soundcard) that are much more expensive than a soundmodule + computer: of course for this price your mind will be blown away.

At this present time computer architecture is in the process of being completely re-written. With the appearance of Intel Optane memory it has become possible to have more than 1000 Gb internal memory instantly available at start up (since it is a non-volatile memory). In the future there will be no need to have a hard drive: everything you computer needs will be allready in the memory. Right now computers cannot handle all this information in one time since the whole way programs are written has to be changed for the processors to handle large information in one go. I recently spoke to a young mathematician who declared to me that the results in 10 years will be scary: since the mathematical models to facility this change have allready been developed and in the process of 10 years will be implemented in the various fields of information technology. He things human skills will not be necessary any more: personally I think this is far fetched, but I do think this means that in about 10 years it will probably be very easy to have an excellent sounding live sound engine driven by a computer system without the need of a brilliant sound engineer: will Native instruments or Spectrasonics win or will Yamaha Genos still prevail?

For now mr. Agaton has promised be to release the prices of his 'Avenger' very soon in 2018. I think right now he is very busy sound engineering for professionals.

Greetings,
Phil

Carlo

Thanks for this Information, Phil.

Very appreciated.

Best Regards,
Carlo

slaveofword

Hello!
I apologize, if not in this topic I am writing a question ...
Tell me, did anyone buy and use SF2 bank from Mr. Agaton?
Does the program change work correctly in styles?  Is the quality of sounds good?

Many thanks!

Phil

Dear slaveof word

No I have not tested this setup in reality.

I did extensive stress testing of my computer system (trying to remove crackles and pops while playing an arrangement while playing vst's at the same time, since playing an arrangement on it's own is not the problem, it is the combining it with solo vst's that causes the pops and crackles especially if you want to be able to switch sounds fast). Unfortunately my computer is not good enough for such a system so I did not buy it. I am really not an expert, but my guess is that unless you have an extremely modern computer (with Benchmarkscores over the 8000), and optimised windows and a professional soundcard (which is more expensive than a hardware soundmodule) the result will tend to be dissapointing.

But ask mr. Agaton on his forum, you will most likely get a personalized answer.

In the meanwhile I wish you, Carlo and everybody else on the forum a Merry Christmas  8) 8) 8) :)

bluebeat

I have  Agaton's TA sound set.
Overall (95%) it is compatible with VA.  There is always some tweaking will be needed (almost with any soundfont banks) Overall, I am pleased as some main instruments I am using are there and they are great quality (for soundfonts of course) It responds to program changes, etc.  I only have 8gb of RAM, but have no issues with lagging, running VA with TA soundset + couple of instruments through Sample Tank and couple in Kontakt at same time.
I have tried several other SF2 banks. TA is still my main choice.
Hope it helps.