News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

SD1000 acoustic pianos sound weird

Started by eurotunes, April 05, 2017, 07:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurotunes

Hi all,

I have vArranger connected to a Ketron SD1000 and it al works fine, but I regularly notice that the sound acoustic pianos sound weird between chord changes. It's changing to a flanging, metallic sound, more like an (bad) e-piano. When changing chords again it mostly returns to its natural sound.

It also often sounds as if a chord is triggered twice when hitting the keys. It especially occurs with both Ketron and Yamaha styles.

When I set the SD1000 in vArranger to GM mode all sounds just fine. It only occurs in SD1000 mode.

vArranger is installed on a Surface Pro (Windows 10), so I have to use a usb-hub. Could this be the problem, or is it some kind of midi-echo?

I hope you can help  :)

agaton

Which keyboard is your masterkeyboard ? Maybe you haven't
change Midi on masterkey to Local Of.

BjayG

Something thats worth mentioning - but are you somehow seeing the affect of aftertouch? 

I too have an SD1000.  If aftertouch is active on the keyboard and you use it with pianos then the sound undergoes this weird pitch/tone change sometimes if you hit the key too hard - a bit like you describe.    Great if it a saxophone - but not very helpful for a non pitch change sound like a piano.

The solution in this case - if you don't want to turn off aftertouch in the keyboard that is - is to edit the voice using the voice editor.  Switch of aftertouch using the editor and then save it as a new user voice.

Anyway - its just a thought.

Barry

haweneu

Hi,
please go to "effects" "Options" and click on "RESET ALL". That resets all effects.
Then load the new song with the piano and no old effect work on the new loaded sounds!

Dan

This is because vArranger use a special mode that I have asked Ketron to add in the new firmware of SD1000. Please update it and try again
http://www.ketron.it/en/software/176-sd1000/sd1000-1-4

eurotunes

Hi all,

Many thanks for your replies and sorry for my late reply. I didn't had notifications activated, so I wasn't aware of your replies :(

@Agaton: yup, local is off
@BjayG: it only occurs in the accompagniment parts, not in the solo (right or left hand) parts, so I guess aftertouch won't be the issue
@hawenue: that only works temporarily. When playing on, it pop ups again
@Dan: I had the 1.4 update installed right away when I purchased it

Any other ideas are more than welcome. Oh, and now I have notifications enabled :)

Thanks!

Dan

When you change a chord, the arranger need to change the chord of all tracks actually playing.

There is 2 ways to do it. You can stop all notes and replay them again. This is more real but you need sometimes to replay 30 notes every time you change a chord. This is often not nice sounding and may slow a bit the midi stream. The other way is to transpose every playing note to the new note of the new played chord. This is more smooth, but sometimes sounds a bit not natural on tracks like piano

vArranger has algorithm to decide what to do depending on many parameters.

If you play on the downbeat time, this side effects is rarely heard ... :)

BUT  if your SD1000 is not updated, for sure the arranger will sound very weird on chord change.

You can record a little MP3 for me to check if it sounds normal to my ears or not.

Regards,

Dan

eurotunes

Thanks for your reply and explanation Dan!

I'll post an mp3 here asap!

eurotunes

I've made a small recording so you can hear the issue. It's a crappy recording through my iPhone though, but I guess it's good enough to get the point.

The accoustic piano sounds normal, but gets metallic from 0:16 to 0:19 and from 0:30 till the end. Also notice some strange sounds on (off-beat) chord changes.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,
JJ

Dan

eurotunes

Sure, it's the PianoBallad from Tyros1 which was posted here on the forum

*edit: it's one of the styles from the Tyros1 bundle and the issue occurs at more styles eg. RockBallad. Same for the Tyros5 and S950 bundles posted here.

eurotunes