News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

vArranger Loaded and Ready to go

Started by Deane, May 14, 2011, 01:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deane

I now have my MacBook Pro setup to run both the Mac OS X and Windows 7 and have downloaded vArranger and .netframe.  I am ready to give the software it's first real run.

I'll provide a report on the results and progress tomorrow.

Deane

Deane

Last night I plugged in my Roland A-800 controller to my MacBook Pro via the USB cable, plugged in the USB thumb drive, connected the computer to my Bose L1 Compact and started vArranger.  I do not have a Ketron SD2 module. Everything runs ok but - there is still a huge amount of latency.  I was hoping the MacBook would take care of that. 

Another issue, the styles Dan sent with the software do not play very well - the sound is very weird.  I am certain this is not the norm and need some advice about how to get thing working properly.   I have read the information on the forum concerning latency but really don't understand what is going on. 

I wonder if there are some settings within Windows 7 that need to be changed?
I also wondered if the controller was causing a problem so I started up Garage Band on my MacBook Pro and it played normally with the controller. 

Anyone have any ideas?

Deane

Bernie9

Hi Deane
I don't think windows is the issue, but rather, your sound source.  Without a module like an SD2 or SD4, where is your sound coming from.  If you are calling up sounds from some place on your HD, there is likely going to be latency.
Bernie

Deane

Bernie,
I'am using sounds from vArranger along with the styles from vArranger.
Deane

Dan

I think you selected the Microsoft GS soft-synth on the MIDI OUT.

This software synthesizer is adding latency.

If you want help setting a 100% software solution, let me know

The easiest way is to get a Ketron SD2...

Dan

Deane

Hi Dan,
I have a SD2 on order but it is back ordered and won't be here for a week or two.  I think I need to address the latency issue and overall sound issue first of all.  I am experiencing latency with just the styles too not only the voices. 
I'll make sure I select the correct midi out choice and see how it goes.

Deane

Dan

Hi Deane your latency is normal when you select the Microsoft synth on MIDI OUT port.

Deane

Hi Dan
I think I will need help setting a 100% software solution as you suggested.
No matter what I try I can not get rid of the latency.  However, one of the midi port
selections did improve the quality of the sounds.

Deane

Bernie9

Deane
In my opinion, don't judge the sound of vArrager until your SD2 comes in.  I believe you will find an amazing difference.  Afterall, this is how Dan designed the program at the start.

Your advantage is that you are learning the program under less than ideal conditions.  I have a $5000 Audya and the basic sounds are not any better than when using vArranger and my SD2.

Bernie

Deane

Bernie,
I am very certain the software produces very nice sounds.  I just can't figure out why I am not getting better sound with my setup.  For instance - if I select a style from the list and simple start playing the style - not playing any right had voices at all - the sound of the style is just not very good. I might not understand all of this but what does the SD2 module have to do with the quality of sound the styles create?

Deane

Bernie9

Everything my friend.  The sound engine with the instruments and great effects, are housed within the unit.  When you get it and use it with vArranger, it is a marriage made in heaven.  Okay, I get a little carried away, but I mean it.

There is no sound in the styles.  You have to employ a sound source .  The style is like the conductor.

Dan

Hi Deane, I will try to explain something.

On there Ketron SD2 sound set, there is some drum kits that exists only on this module. Most of the original Ketron styles, are using those special drum kits (LIVE DRUMS) to get this typical groove.

So, if you play those styles with a GM, GS, or XG sound module, you have to MUTE this PERC track who is played by a PIANO. Just press M on the PERC track.

Your Ketron SD2 is on backorder, let me help you installing the XG softynth on your computer.

Just read this :
http://www.varranger.fr/vforum/index.php/topic,189.0.html

Dan