vArranger appears to be unstable with Window 10 when using DRUM MIXER EDIT

Started by jbg31792, March 02, 2017, 07:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbg31792

I had saved all my DRUM MIXER SETTINGS with SONG CHORDS in Windows 10, but during my first gig this past Sunday using my new computer with Windows 10, I had to stop playing in the middle of songs when the DRUM MIXER SETTINGS would change. For example, I had saved the volume level of the Rim Shot to 24. But after I started to play the Song Chord the volume level of the Rim Shot changed by itself to 124. I had to stop in the middle of the song which was very embarrassing.

This occurred randomly numerous times. Sometimes it would be the Snare changing from the saved value to 124. Other times it would be the Tom or the Kick Drum.

Dan, I noticed that When you helped me around Christmas time that you installed v1.17.98 on my new computer with Windows 10. But is the new version of vArranger v1.17.90?.

The DRUM MIXER EDIT in Song Chords is the only unstable part of vArranger with Windows 10 that I've found.

Is this just me or is anyone else using Windows 10 with vArranger and not having any problems with the DRUM MIXER EDIT? Please let me know.

Since Christmas, I've averaged about four hours a day rewriting all of my lyrics to fit the larger 15.6" screen sizescreen from my 13.3" MacBook. And revamped all of the Song Chords on the new computer. It's very frustrating to get to this point only to find out that there's a problem with Windows 10 and the DRUM MIXER EDIT. If I had known this before, I wouldn't have bought the new computer with Windows 10.

Thanks,

John

claudio

Varranger can not save changes of the different settings in the Drum Mixer with any Windows ! :)

Dan

For now, it can only save the drum mixer of the Ketron SD2 drum groups

John, are you using the version 1.17.90 or 1.17.98 ?

jbg31792

Dan, I'm using version v1.17.98 on the new computer running Windows 10.

Claudio, on my old computer running Windows 7 and using vArranger v1.17.89, I can save the drum mixer settings. And once saved the settings would not randomly alternate the volume levels between the saved setting and the max volume level of 124 of the different drum instruments like the KICK, SNARE, HI HAT, CYMBAL, TOM, and the dreaded RIMSHOT the way it's currently doing with Windows 10 using v1.17.98.

I'm using the same styles and patterns with Windows 10 with vArranger v1.17.98 that I used with Windows 7 with vArranger v1.17.89.

Thanks for the quick response,

John

Dan

Do you have the problem with all the songs? or just one or few?
When you have the problem, tell me if it occurs when you change variation, and the style has a different drum kits between variations

jbg31792

Dan, I'm using the SD2 with both Win 7 and Win 10. But with Windows 10 and v1.17.98 something is causing the DRUM MIXER settings to change after being saved. But when using Win 7 and v1.17.89 the settings in the DRUM MIXER once saved stay saved.

I realize that if I'm using the vArranger Software Synth in MIDI OUT, instead of the SD 2, the DRUM MIXER settings don't respond to being changed in both Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Thanks,

John

Dan

The vArranger Software Synthesizer is different from SD2 for the drum mixer part.
The SD2 has something unique when you can change the volumes of all the cymbals of the drumkit etc...

jbg31792

With Windows 10 it's not a problem with all the songs, but it's random and intermittent.
For example, with COOL8BEAT, in DRUM MIXER EDIT right now I can control the volume settings of the KICK, SNARE, HI HAT, CYMBAL. But I have no control of the volume of the RIM SHOT. It plays at the loudest level of 127.

Another example, I might save all the settings of the drum mixer and an hour later come back to that song and the TOM might play at the loudest level of 127 on  a Fill In or break.

Thanks

John

jbg31792

But with Windows 10, using the SD 2, it's not allowing me to change the volume levels of all the drum instruments all of the time. But using Windows 7  could.

John

jbg31792

Dan, another example using the SD2 with Win 10 and v1.17.98: in this Song Chord I have volume control over the KICK, SNARE, HI HAT, CYMBAL, RIM SHOT, but I have no volume control over the TOM. On Fill In 3 there is a volume 127 on the cymbal which does not respond to the cymbal volume.

Thanks,

John

jbg31792

Do you have the problem with all the songs? or just one or few?
When you have the problem, tell me if it occurs when you change variation, and the style has a different drum kits between variations

Sorry Dan I was posting when you sent this.

Normally I stay with the same drum kit for all variations. Whatever drum kit I choose for the song, I don't change it when I change variations.

Thanks

John

jbg31792

Hi Dan,

I've downloaded v1.17.89 from Windows 7 to Windows 10 but can't get it to open.

I had the same problems at my gig on Sunday with v1.17.98 on Windows 10 where the volumes of the Sd 2 drum voices in the DRUM MIXER in some (not all) of the Song Chords would change from the saved setting to max setting forcing me to stop the Song Chord in the middle of a performance. When I would press the PANIC button, all of the Drum Mixer voices would automatically go the loudest setting of 127.

I thought that since I didn't have the drum mixer problems with v1.17.89 on my MacBook Pro with Windows 7 that I would try running v1.17.89 on my new computer running Windows 10. But After downloading it to Windows 10 I can't get v1.17.89 to open.

Thanks

John

Dan

Ok, I think I understand your problem.
In the new version, for some reasons, every time the drumkit is changed, the drum mixer is reloaded.
Some styles has different drumkits for each variations.
But this is not necessary for the Ketron SD2
So I will try to correct this problem and send you a new version.

If you can send me a style with the style2 file too, of the song you had a problem with, and I will try it with my Ketron SD2

Dan

jbg31792

Dan, Sorry, I've never sent a style to you, please tell me the steps to send you the Style and the Style file.

Also, i've recorded the problem style while I was singing live Sunday to the voice recorder on my mobile phone. How best to send this recording to you?

Thanks

John

Dan

jbg31792

What is your email address that I use to send the files to in using wetransfer.com?

Thanks,

John

jbg31792

Hi Dan,

In trying to send you these Song Chord songs, I have somehow succeeded in deleting or losing the folder with all of my songchords and scores that I use for my gigs. 

Please log in to my computer and try to locate this folder.

thanks,

John

jbg31792

Located the lost folder. Could someone please explain how to position the folder with all of its files back into the vArranger main screen?

Thanks

John

jbg31792

Hi Dan,

After clicking on the vArranger 1.17.98 to open, and after clicking OK on the warning from Windows 10, and five minutes after the vArranger had opened, The Norton 360 anti virus program popped up with a notification "for security reasons the Norton 360 will restart yes or no." I pushed yes and after the restart, the vArranger v1.17.98 had disappeared from the desktop.

I will send the vArranger Song files to you using wetransfer.com once the restore to March 8, 2017 is successful.

Thanks,

John

jbg31792

Dan, this was the error message I just got from Windows 10 after the RESTORE to March 1, 2017 failed.

SYSTEM RESTORE

System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.

DETAILS:

System Restore failed while restoring the directory from the restore point.
SOURCE: AppxStaging
DESTINATION: %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps
An unspecified error occurred during SystemRestore. (0x80070091)

You can try System Restore again and choose a different Restore point. If you continue to see this error, you can try an advanced recovery method.

Run System Restore.   Close

Thanks,

John

BjayG

John,

Sometimes when you do a system restore it can fail because of anti virus software (I have had this - though cannot remember the error I got but it sounded similar).  I suggest that you try temporarily disabling anti virus software during the system restore (for info - I use AVG and just tell it to disable until re-boot).     Then try the restore again.

Also - make sure there are no other applications running in the background when you do the restore to confuse matters.

Barry
PS By the way - don't get hung up on Windows 10 being a problem  - I've found it to be very stable and reliable.

jbg31792

Thank you Barry for assuring me of the stability of Windows 10 with vArranger. I really needed to hear that. Are you using the SD 2? And if so have you had any issues with the drum mixer edit in Song Chords?

I've just spent eleven hours after Norton 360 deleted the vArranger v1.17.98 from off the desk top and off the computer this morning. None of the older vArrangers will open anymore. The Norton anti virus was mistakenly thinking the vArranger was a TROJAN.GEN2 virus with a high risk. Norton had quarantined the vArranger which was probably why it wouldn't RESTORE. Norton has now been programmed to recognize vArranger and never quarantine it again.

The good news is that all of the data wasn't deleted that was in vArranger v 1.17.98. Only the vArranger folder doesn't show up anymore on the desktop. And none of the older vArrangers that do show up won't open.

I'm confident that Dan will be able to restore everything.

Dan would you please log in to my computer?

Thanks,

John

BjayG

Hi John,

I actually use an SD1000.   

The main point is that people automatically assume that whenever they have a problem then this must be caused by Windows X (where X is that latest version of Windows whatever that might be)  - because "every one know that the latest version of Windows doesn't work correctly and particularly with music stuff".    Well actually in my experience that is totally wrong as I have never had problems with Windows with music software (Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7 and XP) - it just works 100% reliably  (e.g. one crash in the last 3 years caused by a third party program).     The big problem with Windows is that it is too flexible and people add lots of other stuff (because they can) and make it flakey as a result - and this is often what causes the problem.    For example: all the stuff that people download and try out often sets itself to run in the background at boot - and this puts a hidden load on the CPU and takes valuable memory.    If you want to know whats running in the background of your computer then try this Microsoft program:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx    (but please don't remove anything unless you know what you are doing).

And as a by the way: In my experience the anti-virus program you mentioned is very heavy duty.  If you have a general use computer then maybe you need it - but if its just for music stuff then maybe not.    For example: I have a specific music laptop which rarely gets connected to the Internet - and then only for updates from legitimate manufacturers websites - and thus is just uses the basic installed Microsoft anti-virus software which seems to have a very light touch indeed.  Also - definitely NO illegal software - as that is a short cut to a well deserved hell (or obscure failures as we call them)!

Dan is a clever lad - and I'm sure he can fix the problem.

Barry
PS Sorry - this sounds a bit like an unintended lecture!

jbg31792

Thanks Barry,

Every bit of advice is important to me, what you said is much appreciated. I'm thinking about dedicating my new laptop to the vArranger and choosing another anti virus software and getting rid of Norton 360.

What version of vArranger are you using with Windows 10, and which laptop and screen size did you choose?

On my old MacBook Pro, with Windows 7 partitioned on one side of the HD using vArranger v1.17.89, (and all the previous versions) the vArranger was rock solid with the drum mixer in Song Chords. Only when I purchased the HP Pavilion 15.6" with Windows 10 and after Dan installed for me v1.17.98 on my new computer is when I started having these issues with the Drum Mixer in Song Chords, which I have detailed in my posts on this thread. Of course I'm spoiled now that I've been using the Song List feature plus many of the other new features in v1.17.98 I wouldn't want to go back to the older version.

I know Dan will fix v1.17.98 and send me a new version, and in the meantime I still can use my old MacBook with v1.17.89.

thanks,

John

BjayG

Hi John,

I started to type a long reply to your message and then decided it would bore everyone else on the forum rigid.

So - I have sent you a personal (i.e. forum) mail - where we can continue this conversation.

cheers
Barry

jbg31792

jbg31792

Hi Dan,

You said in the new version, for some reasons, every time the drum kit is changed, the drum mixer is reloaded. Some styles has different drum kits for each variations..."
But I've noticed that even when the drum kit is the same for all four variations with 1.17.98, that out of the blue one drum instrument can change and play at the full volume level of 127 on certain variations. And if I hit the panic button it causes all of the drum parts to reload and play at full volume of 127. And if I don't hit the panic button, and try to adjust the volume level of that one drum instrument the vArranger won't allow me to control the volume level of that drum instrument. But it will allow me to control the volume levels of the other drum instruments.

Sorry I didn't make that clear.

Thanks,

John

Dan

Is it a Yamaha style or Ketron style?
Can you post the style here ?

jbg31792

Dan,

The vArranger v1.17.98 was deleted off my new computer when Norton anti virus put it in quarantine, and deleted the vArranger. I still have the data but I can't access the styles without the vArranger being reinstalled.

Thanks,

John

Dan

ok, I can connect to your computer. If you can run the http://www.varranger.com/support.exe  and tell me your ID in a private message

jbg31792

Thank you Dan for restoring the vArranger back onto my new laptop. I am very grateful.

John

jbg31792

Hi Dan,

I was able to transfer some problem styles with WETRANSFER.COM to your email address.

Please let me know if you received the transfer.

Thanks,

John

jbg31792

Hi Dan

I just sent you an email. We transfer.com notified me that the 8 problem Song Chords that I sent you on 3-15-17 were never downloaded and will expire tomorrow.

Please download them before they expire.

Thank you,

John