News:

Version 1.20 is ready to download

Main Menu

Marrying vArrnager with Gig Performer

Started by lakere, January 11, 2017, 02:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lakere

Just recently I stumbled upon a new audio/VST host called Gig Performer.   It runs on Mac and Windows.   I find it very intuitive and easy to use.   I am trying to think what would be the best way to combine it with vArranger when I perform.   I know that vArranger can host VST instruments, but I like many features of Gig Performer and I am going to create many patches in it.     Is there anyone who uses a VST host with vArranger at the same time?

Lylo

I use Cantabile Lite with vArranger2 since 2010, before the vAsynth, with Samplelord for the soundfonts, on stage, so I know very well how use a vst host and... I think use vsti in vArranger is better.
I have a project with vsti, I don't use arranger function, only vsti (Kontakt, Independence,  Pianoteq,  Transfuser2, Hybrid3, Halion Sonic, Reaktor, Ultra Analog va 2...) so I can use only a vst host but vArranger is better.
If you have an idea of my list of vsti you can see that they are with program change functions except Transfuser and Hybrid, so I encapsulate them in the vsti host Patchwork (it's a vst host in vsti format) because it have program change.

Why do you want use Gig Performer ?

lakere

I like Gig Performer because it is the most intuive VST host for me.   Very easy to change between rack spaces with patch persist or what Roland calls patch remain.   They have a full demo version.   You can try it for 14 days.   

Bachus

Actually its very much like mainstage 3 (mac only) which i have been using for years as my vst host...

Personally i am a big fan of having the keyboard parts fully sepperated from the arrangement parts, thats what i love about the korg pa4x..  it makes things much easier...  so i can fully see how for people using VST as their main sound source, this will work very very well..

I watched a few video's and must say gig perfromer looks very nice, a bit more modular then nainstage in its approach, tough the workflow of creating things is pretty much alike...

Thanks for the heads up and enjoy playing ...

lakere

I am not familar with MainStage at all though I have it myself.   There seem to be many users of MS that report that Gig Performer shows far less CPU usage than MS.   I was going to post the link but you were a step ahead of me.  I saw your post there and I liked what you had to say.    I can say that vArranger2 and Gig Performer are two of the best music apps in my Windows PC, and I like the fact that I can use both simultaneously in the way you described here; separating the keyboard parts from the arrangerments.    I will be quick to point out, though, that vArranger is not only a super arranger but it serves as a patch manager very well in dealing with external modules such as the Ketrton SD4.   

Quote from: Bachus on January 13, 2017, 08:15:48 AM
Actually its very much like mainstage 3 (mac only) which i have been using for years as my vst host...

Personally i am a big fan of having the keyboard parts fully sepperated from the arrangement parts, thats what i love about the korg pa4x..  it makes things much easier...  so i can fully see how for people using VST as their main sound source, this will work very very well..

I watched a few video's and must say gig perfromer looks very nice, a bit more modular then nainstage in its approach, tough the workflow of creating things is pretty much alike...

Bachus

Quote from: lakere on January 17, 2017, 11:13:43 PM
I am not familar with MainStage at all though I have it myself.   There seem to be many users of MS that report that Gig Performer shows far less CPU usage than MS.   I was going to post the link but you were a step ahead of me.  I saw your post there and I liked what you had to say.    I can say that vArranger2 and Gig Performer are two of the best music apps in my Windows PC, and I like the fact that I can use both simultaneously in the way you described here; separating the keyboard parts from the arrangerments.    I will be quick to point out, though, that vArranger is not only a super arranger but it serves as a patch manager very well in dealing with external modules such as the Ketrton SD4.   

Quote from: Bachus on January 13, 2017, 08:15:48 AM

To me on my quadcore i7 macbook processor power is not an issue when using mainstage... its only an issue when sing some heavy hitting VSTs inside mainstage...  tough in general it never gets over 50% in all my self created performances..   as long as i stay away from using 8 omnisphere sounds and 8 U-he sounds at the same time, its just not an issue..

There are more important things to a host then processor power...

edelklang-lang

I use Brainspawn Forte with Varranger. It works great, but I would like to use NI Maschine in Forte, but the timing becomes awful, a Computer always is a Bad midi clock.

Dan

vArranger comes with a VST host. One of the advantage is that it sends the VST Sync to the VST plugins, according to the actual tempo.
Just try it, and see if it works for you.