vArranger OSC control for iPad / iPhone / Android Tablet & Phone

Started by Dan, October 28, 2016, 03:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

This is the official topic related to the new coming vArranger OSC feature.

I will update this topic while programming and sharing ideas with you.

This will allow you to use your IOS/Android tablets and Phones to interact and control the vArranger software wireless !

I have found 2 applications that allows us to create and share custom layouts for iOS / Android device.

Can you imagine? You put BIG buttons, sliders, etc... where you want, to select sounds, songs, variations, tempo, VST drawbars, etc... This will be amazing

The 2 applications are TouchOSC and DAWOSC. I have contacted both, to see if they will be able to help me on this project.

TouchOSC did not answer to me !
DAWOSC answered immediately and i a very nice guy, so I thought first to start with it.

Goog luck ! 2 weeks later TouchOSC answered to me !

TouchOSC cost $4.99 is available for iOS : http://hexler.net/software/touchosc
And Android :http://hexler.net/software/touchosc-android

While DAWOSC is only available on Android and is actually free when installing 2 apps : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.markderrico.dawosc
And https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.markderrico.dawoscunlock

I will start for now with TouchOSC, as it is the actual reference in this domain and available for the 2 platforms, and maybe adapt it later to DAWOSC

To create custom layouts for vArranger, you need to download the TouchOSC Editor in the bottom of the page http://hexler.net/software/touchosc
You don't need to create custom layouts, as I will share mine with you, but you will be able to tune them to suit your taste.

Why adding OSC support in vArranger while it is already possible to use TouchOSC to control vArranger via MIDI messages ?

1) OSC support will allow vArranger to send some text to display on TouchOSC labels, so for example, displaying a list of Sounds etc...

2) Converting OSC to MIDI messages in both ways are complex and need installing and configuring a windows software, dealing with different midi messages...
And I really want to make it simple, in the same spirit as vArranger :)

3) This will add one more way to control vArranger, and not use actual MIDI Input ports

I have in mind to allow many TouchOSC devices working together. So, why not, a phone to change variations and a tablet to change volumes :)

Requirements :
- The TouchOSC app
- The phone/tablet and the vArranger's computer need to be connected in a network.
The most common way to connect 2 computers or more is to use a Wifi Router, and connect them to the same Wifi network (SSID).

Once it is connected, we can start communicating.

Just wait a bit....  This will be really great !

More to come....

I have just created a Layout with many pages. It is not linked to vArranger yet, but you can download the vArranger.touchosc file and try it on your tablet / phone

Your ideas are welcome

Dan

slaveofword

Dan,your are the BEST! 
Congratulation!
I think,this is a good idea to control vA2 by TouchOSC.
I tried to use DawOSC.it has some bugs.may be the author will repair them in the future..
But any way-your idea is very good!God bless you in this work!
Please,don't forget to share with us a new idea and layout!
Thanks!

moessieurs

Great excellent Dan, waiting for your news when you will have advanced in the project ;)

Dan

claudio

I read your file / layout with the editor TouchOSC, very good work,

can add a button - CHORD LOOP / Rec - Play :)

Tidom

Dan

claudio

my layout file sharing for TouchOSC not directly related vArranger. :)
1 page.

haweneu

Hi,
is there any way to direct load a touchosc layout from this forum into a running touchosc on my ipad without any pc?

slaveofword

Hello,
I can load layout to my tablet android with out pc.just download it and then copy to the neccesary path,then load inside toushosc in my tablet.try to do it.
Regards

haweneu

Hi,
i can download it but only with a dedicated program for example izip. Then i can see this file only in izip!
But in a ipad there is no directory structure like windows, unix or android.
So i cant load a downloaded file in any other software because i dont know where the files is at the ssd memory!

slaveofword

Understand you. I can't help you in this situation-sorry:-(

Atakiss

slaveofword

Hello, Dan!
Could you tell us about this work : vArranger OSC control for iPad / iPhone / Android Tablet & Phone? Do you have something new in this question? Thanks! Best regards!

slaveofword

Hello, Dan!
Could you tell us about this work : vArranger OSC control for iPad / iPhone / Android Tablet & Phone? Do you have something new in this question? Thanks! Best regards!

slaveofword

Hello, Dan!
I still waiting news in this post  :) :) :)
Do you have something new ?
Thanks

haweneu

Hi,
i made a fader in Touchosc that sends Pitchwheel data to VA2.

If i look into the midi monitor inside VA2, i see the right data!

Now i want to control pitch for Right1. Tested with distored guitar and SD1000.

But nothing happens!

I tested the Pitch data on midi channels 1,12 and 13.

What is wrong?