Somebody use varranger with the wireless pedalboard Pok x-tempo ?

Started by Lagoise, July 18, 2016, 09:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lagoise

149$ + tax and transport
http://www.xtempozone.com/

What is the pok?

The pok is a wireless foot controller with which you can control the software on your Digital Audio Workstation (DAW). Its wireless range allows you to use the pok up to 100 feet away from your DAW with no cabling.

Rugged in construction, really simple to setup and easy to use, the pok gives you remote foot-control of your DAW, freeing your hands during your studio or stage performance.

Some DAWs the pok works with:

Ableton Live
Acid Pro
Audacity
Ardour
Audition
Cubase
Digital Performer
FL Studio
GarageBand
Logic
Mixcraft
MuLab
n-Track
Nuendo
Pro Tools
Reaper
Reason
Record
Renoise
Samplitude
Sonar
SooperLooper
Sound Forge
Studio One

Controlling your DAW in the recording studio

Whether you're working in a major recording complex, or in your own solo recording studio at home, the pok will help you work more easily and increase your production. Because the pok operates your DAW by emulating the keyboard commands in your audio recording software, it is incredibly versatile.

In fact, the pok is compatible with any application that offers keyboard shortcuts, and most recording software does. And with this amazing controller at your feet, you can perform away from the computer (even in another room) without having to continually run to and from the computer keyboard. You can focus on playing!

lakere

Intereristing find.  It seems that this is a PC keyboard emulation and if so vA2 will certainly accomondate this device very well.    I can see that accodion players can really take advantage of ths wireless foot controller as their both hands are tied up.

Also, it dawned on me that the Softstep midi foot controller also can send PC keyboard messages.   

Lagoise

I am a guitarist and it s very intesreting for me to get a Wireless pedalboard with  8 switchs and 21 commands Under the foot (Play/stop, full keyboard, Record, Play ....)

Transporting to Paris with US Postal International Priority service is $75 USD.
+ tax
+ transport will be on the value of $159 (or 149$) USD.
Therefore the price including shipping will be $234.
Delivery should take about a week.

lakere

I can see how guitar players and for that matter accordion players as well can benefit from a foot controller.    I bought another mini Bluetooh keyboard for its backlit function and a few more keys.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJzjrFRwouQ      Attached to the grille of my midi accordion it will give me over 60 functions!!!   I've been testing with an even smaller $10 one.  It works very very well.  When I play a keyboard, I will be using a little bigger Bluetooth keyboard like the Logitech K810.    Between the Korg Nanokontrol2, a cheap Bluetooth midi keyboard, and the touchscreen of my hybrid laptop I think I have more controls than my mind can know by heart all thanks to the open system of vA2.   Of course, some of the more often used functions can be duplicated on the foot controller so that both hands don't have to be taken off of the instrument.    I have a Softstep version 1, but as a PC keyboard emulation it allows only 10 assignments.     

lakere

I was thinking of buying the Pok, but $149 in the US or $234 in Europe is pricey for what the Pok does.  It came to my mind that if one has a midi foot controller already, Midi Translator can be used to convert midi messages to keystrokes.    That way you can have a lot more controls than the mere 22 of the Pok.   Besides, I read that the Pok has a 350 ms latency in its double press function.  "If you have double-press enabled, the pok waits for a possible second press before transmitting. Disable double-press and the latency should be gone"  Well, if the double press function is disabled, you have much less than 22 control functions.   I am thinking alound myself here in order to have a better and more effcient in addition to lowering the cost.   

Lagoise

I havé à wireless Logitech keyboard. It's fine When you play piano but not guitar.
I tried to pilot varranger with my fractal ax8 (8 switchs, midi) but it's buil to play guitar (1700€) it s not á midi pedalboard.
So i décided yesterday to buy the Pok to xtempo In LA and Will receive it beginning Go august. (I read á thread about the bigger latency with the double press) so i Will test it with varranger !!!

lakere

Keep us posted on your experience with the the Pok wireless foot controller.

Lagoise

Pok ordered last friday 11pm to xtempo a los angeles 4pm) reception this morning at 11h am.
Price 159$ + Port 75$
Tax 20% 42€ + Toll 20% 21€
Global Price about  283€ (less Than á Roland fc300 or Yamaha mfc101) the Pok is only Hakim the Price.

I ll test it next  days...

Lagoise

8 switchs :
. Mode single press : 8 commands, no latency
. Mode Fn press (switch 8 fonction) : 14 commands, no latency (the Best for me)
. Mode double press : 16 commands but small latency
. Modes fn et db press activs : 22 commands but all with small latence

4 configs memorized (3 for varranger and 1 for sonar)

Right now i'm very satisfied by fn press mod and  14 commands to play piano or  midi guitar with varranger.

PJ User manuel

lakere

Sounds good.  Thanks for the report.    By the way, you mentioned Roland FC300.  The Berhinger FCB1010, a copycat of the FC300 is only $149 with two built-in pedals.    Isn't it true that a midi foot controller like the FCB1010 can do far more than what the POK does?

Lagoise

It dépends your need...
I had one day the FCB1010 (with Noisy electric adapter), it is to big for my musical config !!! : look my pedalboard
I owned also a Roland FC200 and a Yamaha FC101 that i didn't like...

Pok seems to be perfect : small and beautifull, 14 commands, Wireless to play with my guitar or piano... but billiger than the FCB1010 (taxe and transport are half the price !!!)
Let me some weeks to give a a good feed back...

lakere

You have quite q setup on the floor!   No wonder you say the FCB1010 is too big.    You are right that the Pok is indeed small.  I did not know that until I heard your mention of it and checked the spec out myself.    Only 12 inch or 30 cm wide.   It looked big in the pic, though.    I wanted to find more about it by reading the manual but you have to own the unit in order to download the PDF manual.

Lagoise

Small (i havé no more place on my 2 pedalboard) and wireless (i use it easily to play piano)

lakere

Quote from: Lagoise on July 28, 2016, 08:50:36 AM
Small (i havé no more place on my 2 pedalboard) and wireless (i use it easily to play piano)
Lagoise, how is your X-Tempo Pok working out for you?   

Lagoise

The Pok works fine, i love it because it s exactly what i needed (smal, good ergonomie... And it is not connected by usb because varranger  has only 4 midi IN ).
Later i Will Make a second configuration to ues with my Sonar software (Maximum 4)

lakere

It's good to hear that the Pok works great for you.    However, what do you mean when you said "it is not connected by USB because vArranger has only 4 MIDI Ins?     You mean the Pok is not a USB midi device?   Yes, I do understand that.   The Pok does, however, use a wireless USB receiver whereas Bluetooth devices will not require any other receiver as long as the PC has Bluetooth built in.     I think I will start a new thread here on external control devices to hear what others use.     

Lagoise

There is only 4 midi IN to control varranger which are alternately used  by :
My Roland keyboard
2 midi guitar devices (gr55 or fishman triple play)
Korg nanokontrol 2

So i m lucky to have the Pok which is not á midi device because i could not connecte it with the other devices

lakere

Lagoise,
Is there any way you could upload your Pok profiles for vA2?   I got mine today.  It is indeed nice and small.   I was hoping that it could emulate mouse functions also, but it can't.     Anyway, I'd like to see your Pok layouts for vA2. 

Thanks

Lagoise

Play/stop, full keyboard, Record, Play, fill down, fill up, end...  ;D
I don't remember the parameter because i m in hollidays on the beach  8) 8) and the sun rize...

What do you want to manage first with the pok and va2 ?
It s easy to memorize. ::)
Write us what you choose. ;)
Chris

lakere

To take a full advantage of this foot controller I am thinking of assigning functions that arehard to call up when both hands are on the keyboard,  or on the bass and treble of my midi accordion.    I don't know if it was you or someone else on the French forum who showed his NanoKontrol2 layout.   I liked it better than the one I have.   So I was wondering how you set up you Pok.   Enjoy your holidays, and if you find time, after you get back and upload your Pok layout, I'd appreciate it.   

Lagoise

the korg nanokontrol 2 is fine when i play on my keyboard.
I will create 4 configurations whith the pok  :
. sonar (done by xtempo)
. varranger 3  :
1 with the keyboard
2 for the guitar  :
=> 1 simple with 8 switchs (play/stop. fill up. fill down. Full keyboard. Record. Play. Ending...)
=> 2 with 15 parameters (i will try several configurations)
For now see sun and aperitifs in the french south coast... 8)

lakere

Quote from: Lagoise on July 27, 2016, 07:00:59 AM
8 switchs :
. Mode single press : 8 commands, no latency
. Mode Fn press (switch 8 fonction) : 14 commands, no latency (the Best for me)
. Mode double press : 16 commands but small latency
. Modes fn et db press activs : 22 commands but all with small latence

4 configs memorized (3 for varranger and 1 for sonar)

Right now i'm very satisfied by fn press mod and  14 commands to play piano or  midi guitar with varranger.

PJ User manuel
Thanks to you, I am enjoying using my Pok.   For now, I copied some of the assigned functions of my PC keyboard to the Pok.  I have dedicated 3 switches to changing 6 sounds by using the double press mode.   I have not really expereienced any latency in that in my case.    This thing is sure "handy" when your hands tied to the keyboard or any other instruments one plays with vA2.   

ayz202

Hi,Is there any way you guys upload your Pok profiles for varranger2? Im having difficulty configuring the profile please help..Thanks